Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

well, I hope the above was enough to dispell that Nasty rumor.....:D

Side note....I just went back and read some of the original posts in this thread (3 years ago it was started)....man did that all bring back some memories....did me some good......so I want to take some time and personnally thank everyone who has posted and is still posting to this thread for keeping it alive and making it larger and more informative than I had ever dreamt it would be........Thank you all, cheers and here's to one more good summer with many get-togethers...may we all spend it looking down at the grass....and not up at it..

Great pics!! Thanks for posting them.

Now, lets see those boats in the water.... :D

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Oh, and recheck post #1159.....I added some more at the bottom...

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

My Uncle Mike and my youngest......he's the guy I go crabbing with.....good news is he got his commercial license this year...YEEHAH!
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/112.jpg
And yes, those are the remains of last years crabs on the plate in front of him...they are 6 or 7 months old and very good...i figured out how to freeze them and preserve them......this was a test and it worked. So we had good Md. crabs in early March.......yummm!

you froze crabs whole?
how did you do it?
did you cook them before you froze them?
did they taste any good?

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Nice pics, and nice commentary, but you should really have made an effort to call out the "beer fridge" in the garage. :D I noticed there was no clutter in front of the door. :D

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice picts!!!
Why didn't wait until it got dark to take your pictures?:p
Maybe I should have asked about where to crab before making comments.:)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

well, I hope the above was enough to dispell that Nasty rumor.....:D
OK, all the pics were appreciated, so you're off the hook!

Thank you all, cheers and here's to one more good summer with many get-togethers....

I HOPE SO!!
It seems difficult to get our little group together at the same time and at the same place.

skargo

Banned

Nice pics Stan!

Also, I am very grateful that you started this thread, I think it's my favorite on any message board ;)

Now, down to business, who's going out this Sunday, it's looking like a PERFECT day to be on the water. My gut tells me it will lay down flat. You know what that means...be ready for 4 footers! :p

We should be out by 2:30 at the latest, my wife has a horse show to go to.

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello all!
What a weekend coming... I spend alot of time lurking here and have made a couple of posts. All the pictures are great, I love the stories... heck I've even learned alot (how to hide iBoats when my wife comes up stairs) seriously... Thanks.

We (my brother and his boat) and I are heading to H/G around noon. I've done a complete tune up and timing etc. We're going to run up towards the dam for testing runs then maybe up above the dam and hammer it in the deep water.

Just talked to him and we may go out into the bay if we're running smooth. I've only been out there once and beached at the battery Island spoils for lunch and beers last year. We like that area. I guess there is another "raft up" we stopped at ?Carpenter point or was it furnace bay??

We're new at boating and the Chesapeak so please bear with me.

Happy boating to everyone and we would like to meet some of you at raft ups or lunches.

Scott & Dot

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Hello Scott and Dot!
Since you're new to the area, be careful running around above Garrett Island on the Susquehanna. There's some shallow spots and a bunch of BIG rocks up there.

You can't go 'above the dam' unless you trailer upstream and launch up there.
Just thought I'd mention it....:D

Now, down to business, who's going out this Sunday, it's looking like a PERFECT day to be on the water. My gut tells me it will lay down flat. You know what that means...be ready for 4 footers! :p

I'm planning to be around on Sunday. I hope to get out for a little run and maybe fire up the grill for lunch.
I'll keep the radio on.....

SuperNova

Lieutenant

you froze crabs whole?
how did you do it?
did you cook them before you froze them?
did they taste any good?
Yes.....ancient chinese secret (by that I mean we took the top shell off, rinsed out the guts and butter and then vacu-sealed them and threw them in the freezer)....yes, and yes. That about covers it.
Nice pics, and nice commentary, but you should really have made an effort to call out the "beer fridge" in the garage. :D I noticed there was no clutter in front of the door. :D
Damn good eyes, NTD. You are so right and very observant. That is indeed the sacred beer fridge and NOTHING is to block it upon penalty of DEATH....or a reallly vicious tickling. I'm guessing you have the same setup in your house.....

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice pics Stan!

Also, I am very grateful that you started this thread, I think it's my favorite on any message board ;)

We should be out by 2:30 at the latest, my wife has a horse show to go to.

I am glad I am not alone in the horse boating conflict that always seems to occur.

We are planning on taking the boat down to the inner harbor Saturday night and listening to Kenny Loggins at Pier 6. I am probably hard to find if your there. I am a bright red boat on the water. :D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Took the sailboat out for the second time today.
Sailing is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Sure, I may not sail well, but i get from one point to the other.
I had it up to 6.5 mph on a beam reach. I think hull speed is 7.5 mph.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

We will be out on Sunday some!!! I can't wait. Plan on being down to the bay around noon or so. We will have to leave around 4:00 or so. We will keep the VHF on in case we run into any of you.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool!!!! You need to hook up with someone to take video of you sailing. I would find that very interesting.

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Correct you are sir...No self respecting father of three should be without one. :D

Mine however, varies in location. During the winter it's in the basement workshop area (bars not done yet) Close to any projects I may be working on, close to the Golden Tee Golf game, the Wii, and the "big" TV. In the summer it moves to it's rightful place in the garage - to act as the navigational beacon for any and all neighbors that find themselves lost and in need of a cold beverage.

I feel every neighborhood needs a good will ambassador (at least one) and I gladly accept this responsibility. :D (At least until Little League is over - then we're on the boat most every weekend.)

Damn good eyes, NTD. You are so right and very observant. That is indeed the sacred beer fridge and NOTHING is to block it upon penalty of DEATH....or a reallly vicious tickling. I'm guessing you have the same setup in your house.....[/QUOTE]

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We just joined up with Bohemia Vista Marina but I can't make their webcam work. Is anybody familiar with webcams in that area so we can check water conditions before we ever head out? Maybe one around Turkey Point, Bohemia, etc.?

Thanks,
Desera

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love to sail so if you need any help or ideas or want I will bring my sail boat along and take some pics and video. Thursday evening is sail boat racing at the inner harbor. A nice evening to go watch from a boat

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Desera,

I'm no tech guy, but I do check a few local web cams from time to time before I make the haul down to Fairlee Creek. Below is a "copy and paste" I took from one of the sites I visit for web shots. I hope this helps.

Problems with video?
Please make sure that you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player installed. Use the Adobe link above to download the current version. If you are behind a corporate or home firewall please make sure the firewall allows access to TCP port 1935. This port is used for streaming our Adobe Flash content. This is a common cause of video not playing from our site.

If you continue to experience any problems, please contact the chartmaster via email chartmaster@sha.state.md.us or use our Feedback section to submit a problem report.

Some Windows users may find the following AdobeTM TechNote helpful: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_19166&sliceId=2#no_content

We just joined up with Bohemia Vista Marina but I can't make their webcam work. Is anybody familiar with webcams in that area so we can check water conditions before we ever head out? Maybe one around Turkey Point, Bohemia, etc.?

Thanks,
Desera

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't see the links for the webcams you use... am I missing something?

I downloaded the software they suggested and pulled up the camera... but all I can see is the side of a boat or the gravel ground... figured that's not what you're intended to see.

We're going out tomorrow (launching from Stemmers Run) and I'm obsessing for flat water. We've been out twice this year (this is our first year boating) and I'd love to see the same flat water people have posted earlier in the thread. I'm starting to think those pictures must be from somewhere else entirely and you all are lying.

Anyway, I've been checking the marine forcast for tomorrow regularly (which has been the same the last 20 times I've checked, lol) and it looks like it will be nice. I've tried to learn how the tides will be... but the winds, vs. the tides, vs. the moon, vs. probably a million other things I haven't even heard yet and it's all too much for me. Now I'm just looking for a picture! That seems a whole look easier, lol.

Also, while I'm here... I sign the contract for Bohemia Vista dry storage June 1st.. so does anybody have any thoughts before I do that? They prorated the fee for April and May and gave me a reasonable rate - i figured it's a good location? I live in Elkton so it's only 15min from out house.

Thanks,
Desera

P.S. I just called Elk Neck State Park and the boat ramp is still closed (just in case anybody is interested) and they are HOPING it will be opened by Memorial Day weekend but she stressed nothing is set yet officially.