Boating the Upper Chesapeake

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Fired the boat up on muffs yesterday. Sounded pretty good.:)
Noticed the starboard side exhaust manifold was getting a little hot.:confused:
Then the rpm started to go down. It wouldn't idle and shut off.:(
Was in the middle of cooking on the grill so didn't get to do anything else.:mad:
Guess maybe my new seat money may be going to exhaust manifold unless I can find where Brandon is parking his boat.:p

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

A concert sounds like fun. I would definitely be interested in doing that.

I've heard that the Blue Angles Air Show (Wed, May 26th) is also quite an event. We've never been, but we're going to make a go of it this year. Any local knowledge about when to get there and possibly where to anchor would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Angels show is a blast. I did that last year, pulled the kids out of school early and cruised over from Kent Island. We anchored in the Severn and made an afternoon of it. There were 2 Flying boats that were anchored in the river too, got to watch them take off and fly. The show is a ton of fun to watch.

If you have never been, be prepared for 9 gazillion boats in the Severn, and everybody likes to pull anchor and go as fast as possible back out into the bay. My suggesstion is to watch the show, wait for a bit then head back home.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

rob, is has your boat ever been beached at your slip?
i was beached in waist high water today at mine.

it was a really, really low tide.
the north wind is blowing all of the water out of the bay.
how deep is ur slip?

skargo

Banned

If you guys have ever wanted an aerial picture of your boat, you should sign up for this.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119189504768491#!/event.php?eid=368903028743

It's the 3rd annual Hazzard run. It is open to ALL boats, regardless of size or type. It is put on by Mike, he and his buddies have some bad old FAST boats, and there's no way most of us would be able to keep up anyway.
There will be a helicopter taking pics of everyone, and you can go to their website and buy yours if you like.
They will basically roll out of the Goose at 10 am, head to Rock hall, then Stillpond to raft up.
We are signed up and definitely want to get our pics. Not sure if we'll go to Rock Hall or not, depends on conditions and if any of you are game to go with.

August 14th...

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Fired the boat up on muffs yesterday. Sounded pretty good.:)
Noticed the starboard side exhaust manifold was getting a little hot.:confused:
Then the rpm started to go down. It wouldn't idle and shut off.:(
Was in the middle of cooking on the grill so didn't get to do anything else.:mad:
Guess maybe my new seat money may be going to exhaust manifold unless I can find where Brandon is parking his boat.:p

Sorry to hear about the troubles John. What condition is your gas in? Old and untreated or new? How about the tank? Could you have picked up junk from the tank by any chance?

For troubleshooting, I like to use a 6 gallon tank directly to the motor therefore eliminating boat tank and filters to help verify where the problem is.

Hope you get it fixed soon and out on the water.. I want to see that Wellcraft.

Brandon I think I know where it is. I used google earth and it seems like from the posts it must be alittle deeper approach, I'm guessing, but it sounds like the bigger boats like it. I'm sure I'll get up there soon. The boat is still in storage and I can't see getting it out for the next couple of weeks to just sit in the driveway. I won't have any time to use it for 2-3 weeks.

Just for clarification, here is a picture of the charts. The red circle is the railroad tracks and the beach is just off to the right side there. The red line is my general approach and I haven't had any problems yet. The red buoy is not really in the right location on the chart so I crossed it out and drew a red circle approximately where its actual location is. When I am about 15 to 20 yards below the Red buoy #16, I turn and run directly into the middle of the stone bank at the Railroad tracks. There are some sandbars on the right side as you head in so when I come out, I run straight back to the channel before turning either way. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions and I will see what I can do to help answer them.

Beachmapforiboats-1-1.jpg

If you guys have ever wanted an aerial picture of your boat, you should sign up for this.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119189504768491#!/event.php?eid=368903028743

It's the 3rd annual Hazzard run. It is open to ALL boats, regardless of size or type. It is put on by Mike, he and his buddies have some bad old FAST boats, and there's no way most of us would be able to keep up anyway.
There will be a helicopter taking pics of everyone, and you can go to their website and buy yours if you like.
They will basically roll out of the Goose at 10 am, head to Rock hall, then Stillpond to raft up.
We are signed up and definitely want to get our pics. Not sure if we'll go to Rock Hall or not, depends on conditions and if any of you are game to go with.

August 14th...

I am VERY interested in that!!! I am going to look into more but would most likely run with you for awhile.

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

Jason,

Thanks for the info. We plan on taking all three of our kids out of school that day as a surprise. (Sort of a reward for all A's thus far this year) I've also heard that you want to get to the Severen by 10:30am, as they close the river to boat traffic around that time??? Not sure if this is accurate but we're going to try and head out of Fairlee Creek no later than 9:00am which would give us plenty of time to get to the Severn. Leaving sounds allot like July 4th fireworks, which we'll probably treat the same way...stay put until all the goofyness is gone.:rolleyes: We're really looking forward to it, so I hope the weather cooperates.

Blue Angels show is a blast. I did that last year, pulled the kids out of school early and cruised over from Kent Island. We anchored in the Severn and made an afternoon of it. There were 2 Flying boats that were anchored in the river too, got to watch them take off and fly. The show is a ton of fun to watch.

If you have never been, be prepared for 9 gazillion boats in the Severn, and everybody likes to pull anchor and go as fast as possible back out into the bay. My suggesstion is to watch the show, wait for a bit then head back home.

skargo

Banned

Sorry to hear about the troubles John. What condition is your gas in? Old and untreated or new? How about the tank? Could you have picked up junk from the tank by any chance?

For troubleshooting, I like to use a 6 gallon tank directly to the motor therefore eliminating boat tank and filters to help verify where the problem is.

Just for clarification, here is a picture of the charts. The red circle is the railroad tracks and the beach is just off to the right side there. The red line is my general approach and I haven't had any problems yet. The red buoy is not really in the right location on the chart so I crossed it out and drew a red circle approximately where its actual location is. When I am about 15 to 20 yards below the Red buoy #16, I turn and run directly into the middle of the stone bank at the Railroad tracks. There are some sandbars on the right side as you head in so when I come out, I run straight back to the channel before turning either way. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions and I will see what I can do to help answer them.

I am VERY interested in that!!! I am going to look into more but would most likely run with you for awhile.

You should go!

Here's the latest update,

The date of the run has been moved up to Saturday August 14th. There will be a registration party Friday Night, August 13th. Registraion is $20 for the after party & dinner buffet that night in the Goose Nest (upstairs banquet room at the Goose). Anyone that is attending can sign up at the Nauti Goose starting now. Ask for Joe, Anthony, or Jay. They will have a signup list of those who have payed. Again, the $20 is for the dinner party upstairs that night. If you're not on a boat for the run or can't make the run you can still come to the after party. All you have to do is register at the Goose. Lunch will still be a la carte at Watermans (you order what you want off the menu).

Saturday morning there will be a quick drivers meeting at 9:30 and we will fire the engines at 10:00. We will run to Watermans in Rock Hall for lunch. At approximately 2:00 we will depart and run up the bay to Jelly Fish Joels or Still Pond for a raft up for a few hours then head back to the Goose. The upstairs will be open at 6:00 and food will be brought out shortly after that.

For those staying the night on the docks, the Goose has an awesome breakfast buffett for $10 on Sunday morning.

If anyone has any questions or would like to register send an e-mail to hap_hazzard@comcast.net

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jason,

Thanks for the info. We plan on taking all three of our kids out of school that day as a surprise. (Sort of a reward for all A's thus far this year) I've also heard that you want to get to the Severen by 10:30am, as they close the river to boat traffic around that time??? Not sure if this is accurate but we're going to try and head out of Fairlee Creek no later than 9:00am which would give us plenty of time to get to the Severn. Leaving sounds allot like July 4th fireworks, which we'll probably treat the same way...stay put until all the goofyness is gone.:rolleyes: We're really looking forward to it, so I hope the weather cooperates.

They close it down in the morning, from the Severn River Bridge down to the Academy. I'm not sure what time it closes, but 10:30 sounds about right.

Last year the weather was great.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That red area you have circled is about where we anchor up for Northeasts fireworks show. Nice cozy cove..

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That's wierd...they show up on mine just fine...alright tell you what I'm gonna do...I'm going outside in the cold and rain and dark and take some fresh damn photo's of both boats and then I'm gonna come back in here and post them just for you all.....be right back.....

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Geez!
You make it sound like you don't WANT to show us the new toy!
:D:D:D

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I really need to practice this stuff more...having technical difficulties...stay tuned......

SuperNova

Lieutenant

And here is some other misc. crap that I've been meaning to photo and show you guys....bear with it for a few moments longer.....
First another shot of the Big Boy

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/150.jpg

And here's one of my trucks:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/151.jpg

My Bike:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/153.jpg
My Hot rod:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/154.jpg
And my cluttered, but well-equipped garage:
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/155.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/156.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/157.jpg
And..the mated ducks that come to our pool every year without fail
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/136.jpg
Wife says I can't pull the cover 'til they've come and gone...

Me and the crew in OBX this year..
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/126.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/123.jpg

My Uncle Mike and my youngest......he's the guy I go crabbing with.....good news is he got his commercial license this year...YEEHAH!
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/slbrown5656/112.jpg
And yes, those are the remains of last years crabs on the plate in front of him...they are 6 or 7 months old and very good...i figured out how to freeze them and preserve them......this was a test and it worked. So we had good Md. crabs in early March.......yummm!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Geez!
You make it sound like you don't WANT to show us the new toy!
:D:D:D
well, I hope the above was enough to dispell that Nasty rumor.....:D

Side note....I just went back and read some of the original posts in this thread (3 years ago it was started)....man did that all bring back some memories....did me some good......so I want to take some time and personnally thank everyone who has posted and is still posting to this thread for keeping it alive and making it larger and more informative than I had ever dreamt it would be........Thank you all, cheers and here's to one more good summer with many get-togethers...may we all spend it looking down at the grass....and not up at it..