Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Whoah!! Not sure why my photo is so large. Any tips on how to downsize would be appreciated.

I just use MS paint to resize quickly, that's a nice boat. Where was the pic taken?

I've attached a resized pic for you.

Attachments

• JillyBean.jpg
    JillyBean.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You can resize right in photobucket with one click.

skargo

Banned

You can resize right in photobucket with one click.
True, but not everyone has PB. Everyone with a windows has MSpaint ;)
I've never had a PB account. I either use my own website, or facebook for my online pics.

*edit* duh, missed the fact it was hosted at pb :redface:

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

Fixed! I've been using photobucket and just saw how to resize.

Skargo, we have the boat stored in Middle River and took it out to Hart Miller Island yesterday which is where the photo was taken. We're not too familiar with the area since we live down near Fort Meade. We got a year of free storage so we'll be keeping it there for the time being. Got any good suggestions for places to visit/eat, we'd love to hear em.

skargo

Banned

We'll meet up with you guys sometime. I have a MD state park pass, which allows launching at any state park with a ramp. We usually stay up here, above like Still Pond. We have went out of Dundee, which our pass includes, close to you guys and Hart-Miller.

There are tons of places to get some good food down there.
How comfortable are you guys as far as distance? What's your boat's approx. range?

Check out this place, a good friend of mine plays there in the Summer, we really want to get down there this year.
http://www.hardyacht.com/

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Jillybean - The boat looks great!! Glad that you guys had a wonderful day!!

Skargo - Looks like everything is a go for this Saturday. Probably be out around lunch time and early to mid-afternoon. Looks like the weather may be ok, just could. Oh well, I will take what I can get.

skargo

Banned

Brandon, are you going to be up near your folks?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Brandon, are you going to be up near your folks?

I will be putting in up there and playing around there first. If all appears to be going well, I am going to head over to Havre De Grace through the back channel by Carpenters point. Probably play in the River for a little and then if everything is still going well I am going to head for Turkey Point area. From there, possibly a trip to Georgetown or up the Elk River towards the C & D Canal.

I really just want to get out and run the boat around to see how it performs in rough water, smooth water, etc. Probably spend a decent amount of time around Turkey Point as it always tends to be rough though there.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fixed! I've been using photobucket and just saw how to resize.

Skargo, we have the boat stored in Middle River and took it out to Hart Miller Island yesterday which is where the photo was taken. We're not too familiar with the area since we live down near Fort Meade. We got a year of free storage so we'll be keeping it there for the time being. Got any good suggestions for places to visit/eat, we'd love to hear em.

There is a place on the middle river callled river watch, my friend loves the crab cakes there. and there is Wild duck, they had a pretty decent menu. I went to the Wild Duck on a weekday, and they have tables and a cabana bar on some sand right by the docks, and a nice deck and inside seating. From the signs and layout I wouldn't go around there with kids on the weekend. Directly across the bay is Great Oak Marina and they have a nice beach, cabana bar set up during the summer. I have heard that the hotel and dining are nice, but that is second hand. Maybe someone else here has some first hand knowledge.

skargo

Banned

Brandon,
we'll hook up for sure. Is there a radio on the Wellcraft?

Bill,
I can second Riverwatch, been there many times!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Brandon,
we'll hook up for sure. Is there a radio on the Wellcraft?

Yes but it is one of those things I need to check and see if it is working or not. I will also have the handheld VHF and cell phone along too. I will PM you the number soon.

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

There is a place on the middle river callled river watch, my friend loves the crab cakes there. and there is Wild duck, they had a pretty decent menu. I went to the Wild Duck on a weekday, and they have tables and a cabana bar on some sand right by the docks, and a nice deck and inside seating. From the signs and layout I wouldn't go around there with kids on the weekend. Directly across the bay is Great Oak Marina and they have a nice beach, cabana bar set up during the summer. I have heard that the hotel and dining are nice, but that is second hand. Maybe someone else here has some first hand knowledge.

Thanks Bill, we'll be sure to check these places out. We'll also remember to check out the Hard Yacht Cafe next time we're in the area.

Skargo, what do you mean by the range of your boat? Are you talking about distance related to a tank of gas? Being new to boating and the Chesapeake, we're exciting about exploring everything we can but after spending $$$ on fuel, we'll probably slow down a bit. We have a friend that lives over on Kent Island and thought about making the trip over there if the weather and conditions are right. Do you guys ever cross the bay much?

skargo

Banned

Thanks Bill, we'll be sure to check these places out. We'll also remember to check out the Hard Yacht Cafe next time we're in the area.

Skargo, what do you mean by the range of your boat? Are you talking about distance related to a tank of gas? Being new to boating and the Chesapeake, we're exciting about exploring everything we can but after spending $$$ on fuel, we'll probably slow down a bit. We have a friend that lives over on Kent Island and thought about making the trip over there if the weather and conditions are right. Do you guys ever cross the bay much?

Jillybean,
yep, range as in distance related to a tank of fuel ;)

My wife and I just bought our old Nova last year, almost a year to the day as a matter of fact.
We didn't make the trip to the bay bridge yet, but definitely will this year. I might tow down your way more, and make the trip from there, to save some fuel, we'll see. I'd rather make the trip from up here.

I've made the trip across, but the last time was about 12 years ago. We used to do it a lot when I was a kid, and we lived in Bowley's Quarters.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

on most parts of the bay, you can see the eastern shore of the bay. When comming out of the bush river, you can see the shore of, I think, talbot county. And it doesn't look that far away.

I could make that trip with 18 gallons of gas. It may be 10 miles to get down the bush river, then 5 across the bay.

so 30 miles round trip give or take. I think I can get maybe 20 miles per 6 gallon gas tank.

skargo

Banned

Hey Blue Crabber,
small craft advisory, you still on for tomorrow? The forecast looks OK, wonder why they have an advisory?
I'm supposed to have a friend tag along, he bought that 18' Wellcraft from me, and worked on it over the Winter.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Not for Havre de Grace- at least according to Weatherbug.
Might be a SCA a little further south for chop due to the winds.

Good luck with the test flight Brandon!

skargo

Banned

Not for Havre de Grace- at least according to Weatherbug.
Might be a SCA a little further south for chop due to the winds.

Good luck with the test flight Brandon!

That's what I'm thinking. The marine forecast is for Poole's Island and North. A lot of water in that area.

Are you going to be around?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

The wind is WNW, So it may be calmer up the river near the rocks.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you guys remember that sail boat that is half sunk near the 40 bridge?

you think i could salvage that? find a way to get the hull above water, then pump it out...

i guess it is fair game, right?