Boating the Upper Chesapeake

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Ok, the Elk ramp is the one directly across from me. That one was nice....wonder why it needed work????

I always use stemmers run though. The only problem there is the eel weed in late summer!!!

Where can I go though to buy a cecil county ramp pass so I can stop paying $5 each time I am there?????

skargo

Banned

Ok, the Elk ramp is the one directly across from me. That one was nice....wonder why it needed work????

I always use stemmers run though. The only problem there is the eel weed in late summer!!!

Where can I go though to buy a cecil county ramp pass so I can stop paying $5 each time I am there?????

Post #855 addresses why.

Not sure about a pass. i have a Md State Park pass which allows me to launch at any state park.

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.ccgov.org/dept_parks/CountyParks.cfm

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post #855 addresses why.

Sorry, missed that one somehow.....

Has anyone been over to stemmers run this year? i haven't yet. I am curious as to the condition there.....

Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

hey scott, The problem with that park pass is that it does not apply to county ramps. There are harldy any state ramps. one at sandy point, lapidum, and assatuge island. Other than that they are all county ramps. I'd rather just launch at the kayak ramp, than pay the 75 bucks for the pass.

skargo

Banned

hey scott, The problem with that park pass is that it does not apply to county ramps. There are harldy any state ramps. one at sandy point, lapidum, and assatuge island. Other than that they are all county ramps. I'd rather just launch at the kayak ramp, than pay the 75 bucks for the pass.
HUH? I launched my boat 20 times at Lapidum, once at Dundee, which is a state park ramp, and only once at Tydings(had to pay here). I got way more than my money's worth.
Besides, no way my boat is getting launched at the kayak ramp. Is that ramp free?

There's a lot more than the ramps you listed, look here, I can even launch at Elk Neck with my pass too, it's a GREAT deal.

http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/parksearch/result.asp?multiple=3&lstregion=All

skargo

Banned

Wooohoo, reserved my slip for the 4th of July Fireworks! I was the first to reserve.

The marina has 8 abandoned boats right now :eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that's a bummer for the marina.

skargo

Banned

Wow, that's a bummer for the marina.

I'll say. I have an idea some employees will get some great deals. Like last year, one of the guys(talked to him today) got a cabin cruiser for $100! He spray nined it, and flipped it for $2500! He says now the guy needs to sell it again, so maybe he can buy it and resell it again!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Wooohoo, reserved my slip for the 4th of July Fireworks! I was the first to reserve. :eek:
We usually stay on the hook, rafted together......what marina are you staying in...Tydings?

skargo

Banned

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I am looking forward to July 4th a lot this year!! Hopefully we can hook up with all of you guys for the fireworks. I am hoping to slide over early enough to track you all down and say hi.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, the fireworks are always good.
As I've said before, the best seat in the house is tied right to the dock!
Maybe we can get a dock party going if some of you guys want to get slips too.
Just be aware that they have a 3 day minimum during that weekend....and book early!
And- Pier 6 is the best one if you can get it :D

Anyone getting on the water this weekend? I'm gonna try for Saturday. Their sayin' an 82 degree high!
Gotta hit the gas pump first, though:rolleyes:

skargo

Banned

I am looking forward to July 4th a lot this year!! Hopefully we can hook up with all of you guys for the fireworks. I am hoping to slide over early enough to track you all down and say hi.
You better!

Just be aware that they have a 3 day minimum during that weekend....and book early!
And- Pier 6 is the best one if you can get it :D

Anyone getting on the water this weekend? I'm gonna try for Saturday. Their sayin' an 82 degree high!
Gotta hit the gas pump first, though:rolleyes:
I was drooling today, as I stood at the Marina office watching everyone having fun. Grabbed some burgers from the Promenade Grille!

I'll be out this weekend. I have some work to do tomorrow, but first I am going down to Baltimore to look at some rental properties. IF I get my stuff done I'll do a shakedown run Saturday, if not, we're going out on Easter, but have to be ashore by 3pm.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

And- Pier 6 is the best one if you can get it :D:rolleyes:
I believe you, but for us the best seat in out on the water, rafted together. We can drop over the side and be in the water, or up on the boats doing our thing, but being out in the water on the boat is the key for us.....it's sort of a tradition at this point. For me to sit tied up to a dock, I may as well stay home and drive downtown to watch the fireworks from the park. It's just not the same. One thing I do feel bad about is I would like to take the kids ashore and let them experience the carnival one of these years. And I gotta admit, the dock party looks like a blast......it's just not the way I want to see the fireworks.

skargo

Banned

I believe you, but for us the best seat in out on the water, rafted together. We can drop over the side and be in the water, or up on the boats doing our thing, but being out in the water on the boat is the key for us.....it's sort of a tradition at this point. For me to sit tied up to a dock, I may as well stay home and drive downtown to watch the fireworks from the park. It's just not the same. One thing I do feel bad about is I would like to take the kids ashore and let them experience the carnival one of these years. And I gotta admit, the dock party looks like a blast......it's just not the way I want to see the fireworks.

I can see both points, and might agree with you Stan, if not for the fact that they are launched directly overhead from the island. It was the best seat I've ever experienced, that's for sure!

Either way, being on a boat and watching is great.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

why do they close the carnival at ten?

they could easily stay open till 12.
we were camping on the sand islands last 4th of july, and we were about to drive over to the carnival around 10, but then i saw the light go off on the ferris wheel.
i guess people start getting stabbed after 10.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Um, yeah!
There were a bunch of brawls after the fireworks a couple years ago (2007 I think). Things got a little scary- police had to be called in from neighboring towns after a stabbing and at least 1 shooting. I heard the sirens all night.The papers said some rival gangs from Baltimore were the cause, but who knows.
Anyway, the last 2 years HdG police have been VERY visible and work quickly to squash any problems. I noticed a big difference.

I'd like to see that carnival move outta the parking lot. Other than the fireworks, the only good thing IMO is the band that plays that evening- forget their name but they play classic rock and are AWESOME.

I expect to be onboard Saturday late AM thru 5 or so, monitoring 16 and 09. I want to bolt down my genny and maybe head out for a little cruise. Cleaning can wait!

skargo

Banned

Rob,
if I make it out tomorrow I will certainly hail Winter Dream!

We are going to be in the HDG parade this year, I am building a float on my car hauler, should be interesting. I was thinking of making a float like in "Animal House" LOLOL:D

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep us posted on the fireworks. We are going to be on vacation that week. I know this is going to sound dumb, but are the 4th of July fireworks on the 4th of July? What other fireworks are in the area? Definitely will be watching fireworks from the boat.
Unless I get lost.:p