Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Keep us posted on the fireworks. We are going to be on vacation that week. I know this is going to sound dumb, but are the 4th of July fireworks on the 4th of July? What other fireworks are in the area? Definitely will be watching fireworks from the boat.
Unless I get lost.:p
HDG fireworks are indeed on the 4th of July THIS year.

Not sure when North East is setting theirs off?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Not sure when North East is setting theirs off?

They always set thiers off on July 3rd. I can't imagine it will be any different this year.

I plan on being out on the water for both North East's and Havre De Grace's. Plus I want to find out when Georgetown does their's as I am very interested in going over and watching them too! Anybody know? I will probably have to wait till closer to the time to find out.

Also, has anyone been over to watch Georgetown's display before? Any advice if I decide to head over there?

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, the Elk ramp is the one directly across from me. That one was nice....wonder why it needed work????

I always use stemmers run though. The only problem there is the eel weed in late summer!!!

Where can I go though to buy a cecil county ramp pass so I can stop paying $5 each time I am there?????

I've used three of the cecil county ramps. Charlestown, get the pass at the restaurant, not sure of the name, but you park right in their parking lot. Perryville and Port Deposit are both run by the town and you can get the applications online for a year pass(I think it's 50 bucks at either one).

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Also, has anyone been over to watch Georgetown's display before? Any advice if I decide to head over there?
Yeah, I went about 7 or 8 years ago. It was a good show. They used to have a boat parade before dark, not sure if they still do that.
The year we went, we anchored just west of Skipjack Cove Marina pretty close to shore (we had kids). I think the depth was only 3 feet at low tide. I thought that was a great location because we were way out of the channel, the kids could play safely in the water, and the view was outstanding. Also, it would've been easy to (literally) run to the marina if we needed something.
Advice? get there plenty early for a good spot, and plan to stay for a long time after the fireworks are done (or even overnight). We waited about 90 minutes and even then, there were a LOT of idiots still running around.
We saw 2 big cruisers hard aground- one at Red "10" (Shellcross Neck Point) and another south of Red Nun "2" (west of Ordinary Point). If running at night you've gotta know what the markers mean, and know the water depths. Night boating is fun but everything looks completely different. I'd suggest you get some night boating experience before attempting that scene. Have a strong spotlight for navigating, but use it only for a few seconds at a time to find markers- use it too much and it'll ruin your night vision and **** off other boaters. One more thing- you shouldn't run on plane until you have LOTS of space, and even then, keep a sharp watch.

Charlestown, get the pass at the restaurant, not sure of the name, but you park right in their parking lot.

That would be the Wellwood restaurant.
The town launch ramp is literally across the street from the grass parking area.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well u guys have fun tomorrow. It's going to be great weather. I'm planing on splashing mine to tomorrow. Spent all winter putting in a new transom,bulkheads and stringers. Busted my butt this week to get enough of the boat back together to give her a trial run.

skargo

Banned

I've used three of the cecil county ramps. Charlestown, get the pass at the restaurant, not sure of the name, but you park right in their parking lot. Perryville and Port Deposit are both run by the town and you can get the applications online for a year pass(I think it's 50 bucks at either one).

After working on the boat, today is a no go. I am waiting for my wife to get home, we have to ruin to Baltimore to look at a property.

Tomorrow, despite it being Easter, is the splash! we don't have plans until 5pm, so we'll get a few hours in. Hopefully it's not busy at the HDG Tydings ramp tomorrow.

How did you others do today?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

What perfect weather. Hard to believe it's early April- at least until the sun went down.
I took a 'cruise' to the fuel dock :rolleyes:.
Otherwise, I stayed at the dock getting her ready. Stayed onboard Saturday night.
The good news- she started and ran well.
The bad news- I still have a lot to do!

Skargo- I saw you at the ramp Sunday but I was getting ready to leave. Hope you had a good time.

skargo

Banned

Rob,
I saw your top canvas was down, but didn't see you!

We had a blast, incredible weather, and very flat. We cruised up to NE via the long way, anchored for lunch, then came back the long way. Got sunburned! Temp gauge stayed on 155 or so and didn't budge. I rebuilt my engine mounted sea pump and replaced the thermostat.
I took on about a gallon of water, got to figure that out.

Man, summer came early this year!

24516_10150167880300652_554955651_11652641_4176678_n.jpg

24516_10150167953135652_554955651_11655071_3262632_n.jpg

24516_10150167847495652_554955651_11651204_3515485_n.jpg

24516_10150167812475652_554955651_11650015_1429046_n.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Glad you guys both had a great time on the water this weekend! I was jealous because I wanted to be out there with you guys too!

Arks - glad to hear that "Winter Dream" is doing well and that you were able to enjoy some nice time on her this weekend.

Skargo - glad to hear the temp held steady on your first run. I am sure you won't have a problem firguring out where the water is coming from.

Well it looks like I will be down next Saturday late morning testing out that Wellcraft I was looking at last year as long as it doesn't rain anyway! I am really hoping that everything goes well on the sea trial. If it does then its time to get the old boat ready to sell.

Anybody going to be out next Saturday?

skargo

Banned

I could probably get out Saturday, as it's this young man's birthday hehehe.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Sounds like a good excuse to me!

I didn't know our birthdays were so close, mine is on the following Monday, a week from today.

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys!!

I am new to the site and looking at getting an 18' boat (Astro 18FXD w/150HP Mercury) from a family member. Do you think this boat will be OK for a bay trip?

I am afraid it may be a bit small, but would love to do a day trip to the bay area.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Isn't that a bass boat? I would be leery of taking a bass boat out in the bay on anything but the calmest days.

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah it is a bass boat...that's partly why I posed the question.

I was not looking for a boat of that type and size (always wanted something big enough for Lake Erie). But the price is right.

skargo

Banned

Bass boats are out every day in the upper bay, just know the boat and be wary of conditions. Most of my friends with bass boats are nuts!

Looks like April is a good month around here!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

if its rough out on the flats, then go up the river, and it should be calm.

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

We took the new boat out for the first time yesterday. We are in love:D

IMG_1060-1.jpg

fixed, I think.

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice

Whoah!! Not sure why my photo is so large. Any tips on how to downsize would be appreciated.