Boating the Upper Chesapeake

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Closed cooling is super easy to winterize, just drain the raw side. In fact, and I know it's frowned on here, but I might just stick a portable heather in my bilge tonight.
Sometimes just an incandescent drop light is enough.......as far as the outdrive, you can usually just lower it and it will self-drain just like an ouboard

skargo

Banned

I never said you were a liar......I am just really hopefull that all of the winter weather is done and gone!!!!

The forecast for me in the Crystal Beach/Earleville area does say low of 29 tonight. I really don't think it is going to stay that low long enough for any problems.

At least again, I hope not!!!

Amen! :D

skargo

Banned

Yes I have closed cooling and winterize every year- in or out of the water. The engines are too expensive to take the chance.
With the hull in the water, the engines are much less likely to freeze because the water acts as insulation. Out of the water, any cold air will surround the hull and make it as cold
as the air.

Scott- What about the water trapped in your outdrive? You might want to run some pink thru.

Sometimes just an incandescent drop light is enough.......as far as the outdrive, you can usually just lower it and it will self-drain just like an ouboard

I'm actually going to stop by tractor supply and get a drop light. I'm with Stan, I'm thinking the drive is empty since I had it all the way down.
It's looking like the cold period will be brief, let's hope so! I guess I could pull the drive and stick it in the basement, just in case?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

take the drive off? Isn't that a lot of work?

skargo

Banned

Not really, 6 nuts and disconnect everything.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was sitting in my boat Sunday debating whether to put the plugs back in and give it a run. I sure am glad I didn't.
Then in a couple weeks when I don't have the time, I will wish I did.:D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

hey rob, remember when you said there was no way to store a big boat without paying for it?
Well what if you anchored your boat right next to shore, and the took a row boat backinto shore?
there was a sailboat last year moored right next the the 40 bridge, on the HDG side. And That boat was sunk this year. Partially underwater.

He was probally just keeping it there for free, I bet he didn't use it for years. If I ever had a big sail boat or something like that, I think I would moore it near the kayak ramp, or near the american legion ramp. and row my small blue boat out to it.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey rob, remember when you said there was no way to store a big boat without paying for it?
Well what if you anchored your boat right next to shore, and the took a row boat backinto shore?
there was a sailboat last year moored right next the the 40 bridge, on the HDG side. And That boat was sunk this year. Partially underwater.

He was probally just keeping it there for free, I bet he didn't use it for years. If I ever had a big sail boat or something like that, I think I would moore it near the kayak ramp, or near the american legion ramp. and row my small blue boat out to it.

Tidewater charges for their moorings in the river, so just like everything else in life... nothing is free. In Cape Cod I see alot of boats that are kept on mooring lines with 8' row boats pulled up on shore. I never asked but I bet there is a fee there as well( state, local) somebdy is getting paid.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I have a couple friends who's family owns waterfront property on the Bay, and I discovered that private mooring regulations in Maryland are pretty simple. The way I interpret them, anyone can lawfully place a mooring in state waters as long as the rules and restrictions are followed- and here's the best part- no permit or fee is required.
Look here:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/srmbuoys.asp

Oh, boy I can see it now- Bowmans gonna find a free 'fixer-upper' -probably a sailboat- and stick it on a mooring in the Susquehanna!
Just remember- a moored boat is subject to any and all weather and water conditions. Don't expect a regular anchor to hold it. Moorings are usually large buried mushroom anchors or screwed deep into the seabed. Also, the registered owner is responsible for any damage done if the boat sinks or breaks free. Food for thought.

Oh, and that sailboat near Route 40 was on the bottom last spring- I paddled up to it in May or early June and saw the note the owner left on it.

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello, I have been reading your posts and can't wait to get down there sometime this summer.:D I was wondering if I could have my boat registered in PA and get one of those boat fishing lic. in Maryland? The one were eveyone is covered. One more question for ya'll do I need to get any special permits or anything to launch in the bay? I'll be going to Raystown with the kids and want to go to the bay to fish.

skargo

Banned

So what did the note say Rob? I saw that boat a lot last year. I hope the one by your pier doesn't sit there for a year!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I'm actually going to stop by tractor supply and get a drop light. I'm with Stan, I'm thinking the drive is empty since I had it all the way down.
It's looking like the cold period will be brief, let's hope so! I guess I could pull the drive and stick it in the basement, just in case?
Nah, I wouldn't bother. The only area that doesn't drain well is the power steering fluid cooler and your droplight should keep that from freezing. Most effort I'd put into it is disconnecting the wate inlet hose from the thermostat housing and dump a little antifreeze down the hose til it runs out your outdrive...it will only take a pint or two at most..

SuperNova

Lieutenant

So what did the note say Rob? I saw that boat a lot last year. I hope the one by your pier doesn't sit there for a year!
It said "Be right Back...just going under to scrape some Barnacles" lol

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hello, I have been reading your posts and can't wait to get down there sometime this summer.:D I was wondering if I could have my boat registered in PA and get one of those boat fishing lic. in Maryland? The one were eveyone is covered. One more question for ya'll do I need to get any special permits or anything to launch in the bay? I'll be going to Raystown with the kids and want to go to the bay to fish.

Welcome aboard huntdakota!

Yes you will be able to register your boat in PA and get a fishing license in MD. And no you won't need anything special as far as permits go to launch in the bay. However, most ramps will charge a fee to use them. Just make sure you have all the appropriate safety equipment along and some good charts and you will be fine. Although, its not a bad idea to go out with someone that knows the area for the first time.

Post up any questions and we will be glad to answer them.

skargo

Banned

Nah, I wouldn't bother. The only area that doesn't drain well is the power steering fluid cooler and your droplight should keep that from freezing. Most effort I'd put into it is disconnecting the wate inlet hose from the thermostat housing and dump a little antifreeze down the hose til it runs out your outdrive...it will only take a pint or two at most..
I just hung a light, everything seems fine. I am changing my engine mounted pumps impeller today, and will go over everything.
I hope he has a huge tank!

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the help! Judging by the posts in here ya'll seem like a real good group of guys.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

well you DO need a permit on the eastern shore of MD to launch your boat. I think Cecil county, talbot county, and dorchecster county require county permits, that you buy at fishing tackle shops.
but you don't need that in harford or baltimore countys.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Ya'know, it wasn't too far from that- something like "Owner will remove boat ASAP".

Hello huntndakota, a boat license is called the 'Consolidated Bay Sport Boat License' and last year cost $50. A special complimentary Chesapeake Bay sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license.
Look here for more info:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

well you DO need a permit on the eastern shore of MD to launch your boat. I think Cecil county, talbot county, and dorchecster county require county permits, that you buy at fishing tackle shops.
but you don't need that in harford or baltimore countys.

I had to get one last year, but it was more like a ramp fee, you can use at any of the public ramps in the county. I think it was for Kent Co (south side of the sasafras) that I picked up in Galena at the hardware store. I seem to remember a daily, weekly and yearly permit. I used the ramp at Green point and at low tide my trailer was at the end of the ramp to get the boat loaded.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Hey, any of you locals hear anything about a covered marina over on the Bohemia that the roofs collapsed on the boats from all the snow? My uncle was over there taking pictures and I should be getting them soon.....I am still waiting for the report on Rogue Harbor ramp by the way......