Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

My name is Andrew.. I have been hanging out on the forums for a few months.. I have been paying close attention to this thread because I live in West Chester, PA.. I bought a boat in the fall last year.. I was going to originally keep it at Raystown and just drive there for the weekends... I have some family out that way..

But after reading through this thread I decided to keep my boat out here. I will be keeping it at Tomes Landing Marina.. I never boated on the Chesapeake, but I am looking forward to it..

I'm 25 and my gf is 24, she will be right by my side pretty much every time we go boating.. After all, I did spend the money I was saving for an engagement ring to buy the boat ! lol.. she encouraged it..

I have already met scott on facebook, I look forward to meeting everyone else..

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Andrew. I am in the same boat as you.:D
This season will be my first time on the bay. Taking my vacation there. Hope to meet you sometime.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats Andrew!
You won't be disappointed with boating the Upper Bay. Just make sure you know where NOT to go- especially around Port Deposit!
Tomes has a good reputation and excellent mechanics from what I've heard. My friends Chuck and Dianne keep their Formula 382 at Tomes- and those two are VERY particular about the boat.

The front of Scott's boat look like a cat! :D
You guys crack me up!
Yeah, I see it too.
I think he should PAINT those roller marks so they're permanant!

Sorry Scott, I couldn't resist....
HERE KITTY KITTY!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You friggin guys had me and my wife looking at the boat when we got home last night LOL.

I think I see a sailboat

0.jpg

Welcome to iboats Andrew!
You won't be disappointed with boating the Upper Bay. Just make sure you know where NOT to go- especially around Port Deposit!
Tomes has a good reputation and excellent mechanics from what I've heard. My friends Chuck and Dianne keep their Formula 382 at Tomes- and those two are VERY particular about the boat.

I bought a chart and a depth sounder so hopefully I'll be alright.. Tomes is only about 50 minutes away from me so that works out pretty well. Its good to hear things like that about Tomes.. I figured I'll keep it there for the summer and if for some reason I'm not happy there I'll keep my boat somewhere else the following season..

Welcome Andrew. I am in the same boat as you.:D
This season will be my first time on the bay. Taking my vacation there. Hope to meet you sometime.

Sounds good ! I'll be on the bay pretty much every Sunday, some Mondays and some weekdays..

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome Andrew.
What kind of boat did you get?

Scott, your boat looks kinda like a shark, frowning.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Elk river Fishing 3-27-10!!!! Anyone else??????????????

Boating season is on!!!!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i might fish the susky flats tommorow

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, been thinking about going around the point......But I have only been heaing about yellow perch. Good to eat, but not what am really looking for....

Any reports your way????

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I bet the white perch are up in the rocks by now.
I caught some white perch last week in the bush river.

Welcome Andrew.
What kind of boat did you get?

Thanks! It's a 96 Caravelle 19' bowrider..

Here are some pictures of it.. had I known I was going to keep it at the chesapeake I would have bought a bigger boat. But this should do for now.

10630_610856576678_31701525_35575354_572631_n.jpg

10630_610035976168_31701525_35547093_6720789_n.jpg

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

yea, you don't need a big boat for the bay. It doesn't get that rough that often. and i think the waves are spread farther apart, than on lakes. So you can navigate easier when rough.
If it is rough in one spot, you can usually find calm water in another spot. like up river.

looks like a nice boat. how fast does it go? how big is the engine?

yea, you don't need a big boat for the bay. It doesn't get that rough that often. and i think the waves are spread farther apart, than on lakes. So you can navigate easier when rough.
If it is rough in one spot, you can usually find calm water in another spot. like up river.

looks like a nice boat. how fast does it go? how big is the engine?

That's good to hear. It just seems like there is so much more to do on the bay, that's what really attracted me, and the fact its pretty close.

According to the speedometer on my boat which I know isn't the most reliable source, I can go 48mph. That's with a 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum prop. It has the 4.3 mercruiser. Its perfect for me because its fast enough and powerful for skiing which is what I like doing most , but its still decent on gas.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am working as fast as I can to finish my rebuild so I can get some fishing in this spring. Until then I will have to live through others on here so keep up your fishing reports. I missed the white perch run so far. Now yellows are running. The rock will be up next to spawn but I dont fish during spawning season.

I am looking forward to getting out on the water soon. I am working through my check list of things. The problem is that not all of those things that need my attention have to do with my boat. stuff like cleaning up the yard and sealing the deck and getting the garden ready.

I am looking forward to meeting some of you soon. Are there any sailiors in the crowd? I hope to get the sail boat out too this spring but I have not even looked at it yet.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I gotta tell you guys something....honestly......this is the first year in a while that I am not only looking forward to getting the boat out of storage, but I am actually excited to get it back. A lot of that has to do with the guys who have posted to this thread....so thanks....a lot :)

BUT......

The other side of that coin is you all may have ruined my family vacation for me. You see, we leave for the Outer Banks on Friday April 2nd and we don't come back until Aprill 11th...I don't get the boat out of storage this year until after vacation...so this year, with all your enthusiasm fueling me, all I'm going to do is look forward to vacation being over so I can get my boat back.........so thanks.....a lot :mad: :D:D:D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

That boat goes 48 MPH!
I would have guessed 30-35 maybe.

48 just seems like something one of those ciggarett boats would do.

But in my experince those boat speedometers are usually low, not high.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That boat goes 48 MPH!

I believe him...I had a Wellcraft 197 Elan (20') with a 4.3 v6. With a 1.62 gearset in the outdrive and a 19" pitch prop, it would do high 40's to maybe 51 or 52 mph.......the boat ran out good, the only downside to the v6 was it didn't have enough torque to get the boat up on plane quickly when you had a full load on the boat.....course the boat was also an '86 and might have been hauling a little extra water, if you know what I mean...

skargo

Banned

That boat goes 48 MPH!

I've had my Nova to 52mph on my GPS.