Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

sprintst

Commander
You are not only rebuilding a boat but preserving history. So cool to see.

G

Good God, I remember steaming ribs like that in the middle of January!, (in Massachusetts) I was a 13 year old kid, and my Dad was helping a buddy put sister ribs into his lobster boat (Novi Hull) , My job was to place my foot on the steamed rib, and hold it in place while the men socked in the fastenings in the carvel planking from the outside. Why they choose to do this in the dead of winter, I'll never know!

God Bless you Capt. Ned! She's looking great!

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Louis Sauzedde is quite the shipwright,.. an amazing wealth of knowledge that guy has,.. I watch all his videos.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man I love watching your work, i Am so itching to build a wooden boat from ground up, in research phase for local wood atm but i am Moving towards that direction!

Ned L

Commander
Thanks for the complements guys.
Micky,... looking forward to when you join the wooden boat crowd!
I have been working along. With this end of the season winter whollup here in the N.E. things have slowed a bit.
About 3/4 of the rib repairs have been bent into place, and are now in the basement with a coat of paint. I have also cut out the new white oak deck beams for the cockpit sole.

Another thing on the 'to do' list While I have everything torn apart was to replace the rear coupling seals in the reduction gears (a job I wasn't particularly looking forward to.) The starboard coupling is leaking some lube oil. I actually had a pleasant surprise there. When I removed the coupling bolts and slid the prop shaft back I found the coupling faces and the center area of the couplings all oily, and the nut that holds the forward half of the coupling on the reduction gear tailshaft not even finger tight. Also, the forward side of the coupling flange, between the coupling and the reduction gear is dry. Short of it is that all I need to do is tighten the tail shaft nut. Nice and simple (if you were able to follow that. ) lol

I do have some pictures I will post when I have the time.

Ned L

Commander
Now that the weather seems to be warming up to where I can think about using glues I should be back to making good progress

With most of the new rib sections bent into the port side.

ry%3D400

I decided it was time to cut out the sections of the original ribs that will be replaced and clean things up a bit. ---- Already looking better.
You can see a length of cedar planking that was replaced decades ago. (there were also some laminated sister ribs fitted in at the same time. I am removing those sisters so that everything will be clean looking, even though they can't be seen.)

ry%3D400

I tossed a bit of paint on the new rib sections, mostly so they will have some paint on their back sides. I numbered each one and tied some twine tightly from one end to the other to keep them from springing back (Actually pure Kevlar, less stretch than steel).

ry%3D400

And put some paint on the inside of the hull. It is real obvious where the original ribs have been cut out.

A good number of the new rib sections on each side need to be scarfed into the originals only on the top end, the bottom ends actually will extend all the way to, and stop at the stuffing boxes. Makes for a bit less work.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Sort of time to turn to the starboard side and think about that. Fist is to scrape a bit of 60 yr old gunk from there. Last night I started bending new rib sections in there.

Here we are steaming ribs last night. .... Not much to look at really.
ry%3D400

One of the floors that a strut bolts through was suffering from de-lignification (from bonding the underwater running gear). I have to replace the end of that floor. I don't have a big enough piece of oak to do it in one piece, so the choices were to glue up a couple of thinner pieces, or go to the wood pile and grab a piece of white oak that was for the wood stove. I found a piece big enough and carried it back to the garage, and with a couple of wedges and a sledge hammer I split it in half

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

this will give me two pieces more than big enough. Some work with an electric hand plane, the bandsaw, jointer and planer and I have a nicely squared up chunk of white oak to work with.

This weekend I hope to make some headway letting in the new rib sections. With the warm weather I have to look to taking a couple of weeks of vacation time to really get things moved along and going back together. Boating season is fast approaching!!!!

I hope this is continuing to interest a bunch of you guys.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok so now your splitting logs for the project ...This is great !!! Yep I would say it's pretty interesting !
Seeing all the tricks of the trade is very cool !

jbcurt00

Staff member
A shipwright AND a lumberjack build, whats not to like.

Keep up the good work.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Watching this rebuild gives many of us a peak into traditional ship building that we wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. Please keep up the great work. It is an awesome project.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I've been lurking for quite a while. Please do keep at it. I had no idea these lapstrakes we such a work of art. Your pictures are very informative and even though you post step by step pictures when not much is done, it helps me visualize the time each part requires. 👍

Thanks for taking the time from your project to inform this gubber of a glasser! 😃

Ned L

Commander
Thanks. I figure this isn't the kind of work that shows up here very often, so it might be entertaining.

Here is that chunk of firewood cleaned up a bit. It is something like 2 1/2" x 8" x 30"

ry%3D400

And here is the section of floor that will be cut out of it. Two bolts for one of the struts pass through it.

ry%3D400

I am starting to prep the ends of the original ribs for the tapered scarfs where the new sections will tie in. Just cutting a reasonable taper using a shipwrights lipped adze.

ry%3D400

Ok, ...... so maybe things are getting a bit cluttered in here.

ry%3D400

The shipwrights adze, the tool of choice for work like this. It really ;makes quick work of these long tapered scarfs.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I realize not everyone has these kinds of tools at their disposal. This one probably dates to the later 1800's.

Here I'm making headway on the tapers on the original ribs, top and bottoms. The new rib sections will receive matching tapers, then will be glued and screwed together at the scarfs, and finally riveted in place through the laps. When finished it will look all original (less the cracks at the turn of the bilge).

ry%3D400

Ned L

Commander
I am also replacing he port side rudder stuffing box backing block. (I replaced the starboard side last summer.) It is at the end of its useful life.

ry%3D400

I glued up three pieces of mahogany salvaged from the cockpit coaming from a 1961 23ft Luhrs sea skiff that I dis-assembled back in, ........ Mmmmmmm, .... 1978.

Glued up three pieces rough cut oversize, then jointed and squared it, finished it to 5" x 5", and jointed the 5? bevel on the bottom. Then drilled the five holes in it.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is the stuffing box, all in fine shape. (60 years old)

ry%3D400

A fine fit.

ry%3D400

I installed the block last night and put the steering back together. (I'll try to remember to take a picture if it installed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ned, great work as always. if you had a web cam, I would watch just for both the education as well as the fascination of old wooden boats.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool stuff as usual Ned !
Was wondering on the firewood piece .. Will it need to be treated in any way before installation ? Like kiln dried or something maybe treated with a chemical to kill any critters that may be hiding in it ? Just curious ...