Big wooden boat project [Splashed Sept 2017]

Ned L

Commander
If anyone is interested in learning more about the wooden boats that were built on the Jersey shore (including beautiful high end lapstrake sport fishermen) you might try a goodle search of "Jersey shore old school sport fishermen". A whole bunch of pictures there.

Last night I got just a bit more initial dis-assembly done. The first little bit is being real tedious, with screw heads that you really can't get to. I think I spent close to a half hour on one screw! I hope things get moving faster as I get into it!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ry%3D400

I know it's a big boat but did they have to lift the draw bridge for her? Lol

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you for the history on the sport fishermen. Your knoledge of these crafts is truly impressive. I have always loved the wood boats but have niether the skill, or the tools to restore or maintain one. We have often called them stripper boats. They sure are pretty to look at but you dont want to take one home with you. No real resource in Tennessee to actually know how to care for them that I know of. Most here are patched at best. It is nice to see true craftsmen remain to keep these girls going.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man its so far away from me though its like a beautiful woman just outta my reach :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Can I enact the puppy method ? "hey honey, lookit followed me home can I keep it?" lol she would love that boat for sure but not sure how much she would enjoy the petro bill :) still wondering where Ned stands , I'm betting this decision is weighing heavy on him :)

Pusher

Lieutenant
Can I enact the puppy method ? "hey honey, lookit followed me home can I keep it?" lol she would love that boat for sure but not sure how much she would enjoy the petro bill :) still wondering where Ned stands , I'm betting this decision is weighing heavy on him :)

Puppy method seems to work every time. I mean, what could go wrong, eh!?!

If you google image "full moon fever jersey shore boat nedlloyd" you can see a couple more pictures of this boat Mick. In case you needed help deciding :)

To be fair, your current boat is almost ready for use and you were planning on upgrading in a couple years. Why not run your current build you got to learn on, while deploying your finely tuned skills to refreshing this beauty :-D

I wish I still lived next to the ocean :-(

Seems you are a well traveled man Ned ;-) Hope you don't mind me posting the above.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At the Very Least Ned can do is accept this Great Gift and determine what to do next. JMHO.;) Hmm Hmm I do have space in my backyard, just mentioning ya see. :)
Good luck Ned... this is a toughy!
Happy New Year! And To All Iboaters!t KC

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I haven't heard from Ned yet so its really his call what he's gonna do and what it would take to relieve him of such burdens :)

Ned L

Commander
As much as I would like to accept her, unfortunately that option just isn't in the cards for me now.
She really is a nice boat that needs very little. She really does need a good home.

A Happy New Year to everyone too!

I spent most of the day out starting to take apart the cockpit sole. A bit cold, but made some progress.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Happy New Year Ned! It's great to see there are still care,have the skills and patience, and the passion to put out such outstanding craftsmanship! I am really impressed!!! Cheers!

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Happy New Year to All...thanks for sharing with us Ned. I long to get outside and work on the Skiffcraft 24 sitting in my driveway...if only it was not snowing, raining and cold here...

Ned L

Commander
Skiffcraft,........ Hmmm,... Nice boat! I don't know a whole lot about them, but what I have read and heard is all good. I'd love to see pictures of her and hear about what you need to do to her.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll try to set up a photobucket account, because my pics are too large to post here. She was built in 1979, is 24 feet long and of all wood construction, powered by a 305 with a mc1 drive. I have been (slowly) making her water ready, as the po had disassembled most of her helm station and electronics, and she didn't come with re-assembly instructions, lol. My first post on here was asking for help locating wiring diagrams...Don S helped me, and I had her engine running in a day or so. My plans are to get her fully functional, then maybe go for a more detailed reso, as my extremely limited time permits.