81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I would think so....

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so I tore into the carb this morning and it is soaking. Those videos that were posted sure have been a great help. The problem is, not a single autoparts store in my neck of the woods had a rebuild kit. Oh well, I will head over to the marina tomorrow and pick one up.

One question. When we were looking up the model number for this carb, it stated it was for a 228 5.0 MCM mercruiser. Are we sure I am OK to throw this on a 350 without changing the jets?

Here is a little video of the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmAilNckOEA

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must say,,, that's a good looking heart .
When do we get to hear the heartbeat?

Friscoboater

Captain

I am shooting for next weekend... I hope. I am going to run it outside the boat and check for any leaks and problems.

glennwolf

Seaman

That quad will be fine for the cam you put in it. If you decide to replace the carb though you should look either a vacume secondary holly or a edlbrock/carter. These carbs have the best of both the perfomance and fuel economy. They are very easy to change out the over flow tubes to make them marine ready so you can find a cheap used auto one and convert. Holley makes a spread bore vacume secondary to fit the manifold that you have one the engine.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have to say. There is not much to this carb.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
That motor really looks sweet. :cool:
Glad you got it straightened out without a lot of problems.
I can't wait to see it in the boat and running.
Keep it rolling.
Bob

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so I tore into the carb this morning and it is soaking. Those videos that were posted sure have been a great help. The problem is, not a single autoparts store in my neck of the woods had a rebuild kit. Oh well, I will head over to the marina tomorrow and pick one up.

One question. When we were looking up the model number for this carb, it stated it was for a 228 5.0 MCM mercruiser. Are we sure I am OK to throw this on a 350 without changing the jets?

Here is a little video of the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmAilNckOEA

I would think you would most certainly change the jets.... unless you were running way too rich. the 350 will probably need more gas than the old 228. If you do some checking, and get some info from quadjet. You can probably call them up and they will give you a baseline tuning; jet, float, etc. to start with, much easier this way. This way you can also find out if you need to adjust anything.

I have been reviewing your videos a ton lately to get all squared away on my project. those things are really great!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Have you decided on a replacement distributor yet? There has got to be improvements since ours were built that would be more reliable...

glennwolf

Seaman

I would think you would most certainly change the jets.... unless you were running way too rich. the 350 will probably need more gas than the old 228. If you do some checking, and get some info from quadjet. You can probably call them up and they will give you a baseline tuning; jet, float, etc. to start with, much easier this way. This way you can also find out if you need to adjust anything.

I have been reviewing your videos a ton lately to get all squared away on my project. those things are really great!

The only time you should change jets on these carbs is if you are changing altitude or compression on an engine. A 5.7 will require more air than a 5.0 but the fuel air mixture should be the same.

Friscoboater

Captain

More venting here. I called 9 boat parts houses today and 8 of them were closed on Monday. WHAT? How can you do that in this day in age? I cannot find a rebuild kit for this Q-jet to save my life. I am trying to buy locally, but they are making it so hard! I wondered into a NAPA today to get a new headlamp for my work van and just on a whim I said "Do you sell q-jet rebuild kits"? The guy asked me for what.. I replied "a 350 mercruiser" and he proceeded to pull out a NAPA marine book. He then showed me all the stuff I can get through them and I was amazed. You can get all the manifolds, gaskets, distributors, starters, or anything else for these boats there. Who would have thunk!!!! I got almost everything I need and it will be here in the morning. SWEET!!!! Plus they matched west marines prices, and I helped out my local guy.

As far as the jets, I got in touch with marine mechanic today and he said they are the same. I hope he is right.

I was planning on upgrading my points to a petronincs electronic ignition. has anyone used one before?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad you found the parts Frisco...it seems like when you quit looking, sometimes you find what you are looking for! :D:D

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Waiting to hear that big boy on Youtube!

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

NAPA rocks.

From what I've read in the tech notes on an other site, the Q-Jet is a variable cfm carb due to the secondaries only opening as the engine air flow increases. Seems most all tuning (if necessary) is on the smaller primary circuits. The carb is based on a 750 cfm bore which is more than most small blocks would need. I've had best luck with 600-650 cfm Hollies on fairly hot 327s and 350s back in the day.

Hopefully the temps will stay low during break in and any tuning need will be with the adjustment screws. Are you going to run it on your hoist or crate or just put it in the boat?

Friscoboater

Captain

I am going to put it on a pallet and run it on there first. I want to make sure everything is perfect.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You will be fine with the q-jet the way it is. One of the guys at my work is a q-jet gawd and he has put them on EVERYTHING. He even has one on his 390 Ford which runs amazingly. As it has been said before the q-jet is a mechanical secondary carb with vacuum air control vents only allowing the proper amount of fuel in needed on the secondary side. Tuning is mostly in the primaries and if they are the same as the 305 (wouldn't doubt it) then you are fine. There are really some amazing features on the q-jet. I spent quite a bit of time reading books on them and examing the model I have, but I am not yet ready to convert.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Keith. I just hope to get everything back together right.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Glad you found the right parts at hand. Auto stores are good for more then just cars. I didn't realize that NAPA carried marine products either. Good info, for sure.
Be sure to take a video of the engine running on the skid.
Have a great day.

Friscoboater

Captain

I really want to get this thing running this weekend. I will set the camera up on a shelf and video the whole thing. I just hope it does not film and epic fail!:eek: