81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Nice one clock. That is so true. I love the sound of a healthy engine. There is no way I would make it stock and then do through hulls. If i am going to rumble up to the dock, I want people to know I mean business. But like I said, I need to keep it toned down for the family.

The wife has got twofootitis, and is already talking about buying a 24 foot Yamy with dual jets. If that happens I will for sure make the Glastron a hot rod!!!!! This boat will always be my baby!

Jay

You wouldn't want full-time, unmuffled thru-hull exhaust on a boat that you plan to ski on regulary. It'd drive you nuts.

Did you find an alignment tool? I found one on Amazon for $35. It's yours if you need it. I won't need it for a few more months.

Aquaholic_GP

Seaman

Great project, gives me some inspiration for mine that I've just started. Awesome Info in here!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW,
I miss a few days and your thread is a page and a half longer! I can't keep up.

I love the hot rod sound too, but must agree about the comfort level (especially following on a board). The gimbal looks good. Can't wait to see the motor.

Now you guys have me thinking about building a rod. With the woodworking habit, I've got just the answer. Remember the "coffin" on the Munsters?

OK, back to boats. I've still got snow, so you're going to have to keep me entertained:D More Video:p

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks for the offer clockwatcher, but I ordered one already. I am sure it will come in handy one day again.

Mitch,

You cannot miss a day around here. I forbid you! :D :D

Well it looks like I will have to wait until Saturday to get the engine. One of my clients wants a HUGE TV delivered and installed tomorrow. No worries though.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the offer clockwatcher, but I ordered one already. I am sure it will come in handy one day again.

Mitch,

You cannot miss a day around here. I forbid you! :D :D

Well it looks like I will have to wait until Saturday to get the engine. One of my clients wants a HUGE TV delivered and installed tomorrow. No worries though.

Hey! money is money!!!! make hay while the sun is shining!!

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, I have to vent. So I finished work today early and went down to pick up the engine. I walked in and asked for my sale person and was informed he was not there today. Ok... so I ask if my engine is ready. I gave them my name and they started looking in the computer system for my info. i noticed a puzzled look on the guys face and I asked what was the problem. he stated that there was not an order in the system. WHAT?????!!!!!!! I had dropped of a new windage tray and a Comp cams 256h for them to install, and they cannot find my order. I was trying not to loose my cool. It took them over an hour to find the paperwork on some guys desk, and they had not even started on it. Well after doing some probing I found out the guy that sold me the engine quit on Wednesday and did not turn in his orders.

The nice thing is that they are trying to make good on the deal and get it done by tomorrow. I can understand how a place would loose orders if a guy quits, and they genuinely looked concerned for me. So I will call in the morning and see if it is ready and then ask them to shave a little off the price for the goof. Plus I am paying in cold hard CASH!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, sorry to hear you didn't get the engine today.....hopefully they will get it to you tomorrow....I can't wait to see it going in!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that Frisco...I just pulled the trigger on my 305 rebuild from a local machine shop. They came highly recommended, and if they're local, I can easily run over and check on their progress.

Glad they got yours straightened out!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Frisco sorry to hear that but remember cash always speaks louder than anyting else especially in this situation! By the way I have been following your resto along w/ arch's and the workmanship and quaility is top notch I wish I had room in y living budget to redo my SeaRay but I live through you guys. I also didn't realize how much I love the line of your glastron until I seen the vid of you putting it back on the trailer SWEET!!!!!!!! keep up the good work and pic's.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am leaving now to go get the engine. Whooohooooo!!!!!!!!!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Awesome Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurry up! PICS we need PICS!!!!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

Well here is the heart! I went a picked it up today at around 11:00. I was not really impressed with the paint job that came on it, so I re shot the whole thing today to make sure there will be no corrosion. I then started the re-assembly. I found that the valve covers are too high so I need to go get some shorter ones on Monday. I also found that the new timing cover was about a 1/16th of an inch to tall, but an extra gasket took care of that. Noe I just need to start rebuilding the carb. Anyone rebuilt one of these quadrajets?

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet frisco. Pretty motor, nice photos too. Your new risers and mercruiser throttle cabling mounts may negate those valve covers. They sure are nice though.

Last week I ordered a book from here just for the info: http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/. Once again you're welcome to it you'd like. I still have that bucket of carb cleaner too. But you'll probably be done by sunrise as fast as you move.

With my limited background racing motorcycles for a 20+ years I'd be concerned that you may need to do some adjustments for the increase cfm going from a 305 to 350. But I'm purley guessing. I know much about single cylinder motorcycle carbs, but little about these complexe quadrajets. Wish I was more help...

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Engine looks sick!!
These videos were very helpful to me for the Rochester quadrajet carb..I'll be going back over them when its time to rebuild mine. Check this thread out..should help you.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362542

Friscoboater

Captain

Clockwatcher,

My neighbor had a bucket of the cleaner too, and is going to let me use his. Thanks for the offer though. he is a die hard Holly guy and says that I am stupid for keeping the Q-jet. I don't care, so I am going to use the Q-jet. I was wondering if you have to do anything to the carb to make it ready for a 350. Anyone else want to chime in? I know I have to get rid those covers. They are just too high.

Mtribe,

That is funny that you sent me those links. I found them on youtube today and have been watching intently.

Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold gaskets are special on these engines?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, nice looking small block! That is going to look (and run) great in your boat! I'm not much on tuning them, but the Quads are a really nice balance between economy and power.....and reliable!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I used a edelbrock 600 on my 351 windsor which is the same carb and it was just about perfect out of the box. Just dont buy one of the foam air filters that covers the top with a mesh screen over it. They are an engine fire waiting to happen (I know from experience) They collect fumes and then one little backfire and boom you get melted foam all down your nice new carb.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Morning Jay!

The 5.7 looks beautiful!

It's cool you painted it orange! I think black is such a boring color for an engine! I dig that Volvo paints the block orange/red for the same reason.

I've rebuilt q-jets, easy as pie... A clean bench and 3-6 beer's later, the 5.7 is gonna roar!

Your Glastron is one of my favorite boats period!

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks alot Bear. I think the boats of that vintage have the coolest lines too.

Can I just buy a carb rebuilt kit from Autozone?