81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

I would not waste the money on Ebay, shipping weight will kill just about any decent offer you would get from a buyer. Try Craigslist. I sold a pair of manifolds and risers on CL and it worked pretty good. They are tough to sell used though as not many folks trust the condition once they have been run for a while. Drive looks great.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I got the Gimble sanded, primed and painted. i even put the new sticker on. I have to say, that was the hardest paint job I have ever done. There is so much grease on the back side, it was almost impossible to avoid fisheyes! it came out pretty good.

Ok, here is a new engine update. I have decided to upgrade from the old log style manifolds to a GLM center riser conversion kit. While I have this thing apart, I night as well do this right.

The bad thing is that my manifolds are one season old and the elbows are NEW!!!! I am going to put them all together and see what I get on ebay. Anyone know what I should ask for the complete set?

DSC00007.jpg

Frisco,
where did you pick up the new stickers, and what kind of cost are associated with them? By the way, your boat looks awesome, you should be very proud of it!!

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well I got the Gimble sanded, primed and painted. i even put the new sticker on. I have to say, that was the hardest paint job I have ever done. There is so much grease on the back side, it was almost impossible to avoid fisheyes! it came out pretty good.

DSC00007.jpg

What type of paint is that?? Rattle can?

Friscoboater

Captain

Those are the exact stickers I purchased. They are not as nice as the originals, but at that price i bought a few sets incase they fade.

As far as the paint goes, it is a 2 part single stage automotive paint. I used self etching primer on the bare spots and then just shot it. I think the outdrive will turn out better because it does not have the grease issue.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Check out this guys boat on youtube.

This is what I am going for!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kr7LE4FcSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xHof8mP0f0

He has a very similar build that I am going for with the exception of the cam. It is a couple of steps bigger than mine. So I sent him a message through youtube to see what he had.

It is a Doug Herbert Cam HERCLC4A .467/.480 lift 280/290 Duration. he is using the stock manifolds and has good torque and midrange pull.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like summer. It sounds even better with bolt-in mufflers.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sweet sweet sweet!!!

Man this project is coming along beautifully!

Looks awesome. wanna trade!!? :D

I wish I had a bit more cash go to to a 350 in my boat. I would probably buy those risers if I could. but alas, I gotta stay under budget here!!

tallcanadian

Captain

He's got quite a lumpy cam in that. Are you going for that sound? It may be a bit much but depends on what range your looking for for power. Nice job on the gimble by the way.

Friscoboater

Captain

I thought is sounded cool, but I have come down out of the clouds now. I went with the XM256H and the engine will be ready on Friday. I am going to start painting parts to go back on the engine so it all looks good.

Stay tuned guys, things are really going to start moving over the next few weeks.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

can't wait to see it! Remember we want video too! :D:D:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Ohhhh trust me I am going to take lots of video. I have been doing the boring stuff this week. Painting the small parts.

I am sooooo ready to get this engine!!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

frisco,
Can't wait to see (hear) that engine roar to life. Friday's not very far away.
Keep us posted my friend.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

I am not sure it will roar this weekend. I have alot to put on her and I need a electronic ignition conversion and to rebuild the carb. I do not want to rush this.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Frisco- I think that guys engine sounds like a hot rod in the water- sweet!

Good Luck on the work this weekend.

Friscoboater

Captain

It does sound awesome for sure. I think for a family cruiser my wife might get a little tired of it. My truck has duals and really loud, and after a while she gets tired of it. I figured if I want to keep her interested in this outings, I need to tone it down.

Jay

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately, you got into my deal..More you tear down more you find...I found out the hard way on my transom (and ignorance)...My boat almost sank..with leak in transom..Bailed it out in time..Bilge pump could not keep up with it..When I got it out looked at transom it had a nice "flex" to it..UH OH!....Took care of it NOW taking care of rest..I am jealous that you have a bigger garage and sons to help you...All daughters here and they just could care less..Just want it fixed...(Like my wife)...They will peek out of garage door to call me to supper (at least they will do that)..Good luck and Great job! :)

Pete

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

It does sound awesome for sure. I think for a family cruiser my wife might get a little tired of it. My truck has duals and really loud, and after a while she gets tired of it. I figured if I want to keep her interested in this outings, I need to tone it down.

Jay

I'm with you 100%...thru hulls are nice, for about 30 secs, then they become annoying...just like my old truck. Dual exhaust sounded great at idle...at 75 mph for 4 hours on the freeway...not so much.

So, now I'm back to just a little larger single exhaust. Planning to keep my exhaust stock on the boat...just don't think I'll use or want it.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

The old female fun governor ;)

Friscoboater

Captain

Nice one clock. That is so true. I love the sound of a healthy engine. There is no way I would make it stock and then do through hulls. If i am going to rumble up to the dock, I want people to know I mean business. But like I said, I need to keep it toned down for the family.

The wife has got twofootitis, and is already talking about buying a 24 foot Yamy with dual jets. If that happens I will for sure make the Glastron a hot rod!!!!! This boat will always be my baby!

Jay

BobsGlasstream

Commander

One thing for sure, It is one nice baby too.
Bob