81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Ok, that cam is ordered. I got the Comp Cams Xtreme Marine XM268H, adn it should make the engine pop!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Very cool. Glad to hear you pulled the trigger. That should make you roar.
How long from the time they get the cam?
New are always cool.
Great News.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

It is coming fedex and the engine will be ready on Tuesday. So they will be waiting on me. I was really impressed with city motor and how they treated me.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All of that for only 1200?? That is awesome

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought chrome on a marine engine was a bad thing. I guess this only applies to saltwater though.

Friscoboater

Captain

If the chrome is bad I will not do it, but it is a coating just like the paint. Let me know guys.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$1250.00! I am at a lost. I just had a mercruiser, 4 cyl. completely rebuilt (the whole nine yards) for $1900. Was I ripped off?

Friscoboater

Captain

wally,

I do not think so. This company in Dallas is HUGE. They do most of the rebuilding here and they have something like 9 buildings. They do a ton of volume and I think that is why it is cheaper. They also do some really cool race engines. We just got a 10.5:1 350 with 202 heads and all the goodies for 2200.00.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think we need to discuss adding a blower...you need a little extra power to get the old girl around! :D

Friscoboater

Captain

Right, and blow up the outdrive. :eek:

Friscoboater

Captain

After much debate, I am going to cancel the hot cam I had coming from jegs and I am sticking with a stock RV cam. I want this think rock solid reliable, and when you start changing thing, you will have problems. that means I will get the engine quicker too!!!!:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisoco, that would be a great excuse to upgrade the outdrive....see it all makes perfect since! :D LOL I guess I'm lucky, I have old reliable, Punch List (my Sea Ray) as a back up. There is a lot to be said about reliable!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right, and blow up the outdrive.
Hey frisco,
They make lots of them every day and like arch said, you have a good reason to upgrade. :p
Very cool on the engine.
Bob

Jakebob

Seaman

If the chrome is bad I will not do it, but it is a coating just like the paint. Let me know guys.

New guy here. I've been following this thread and I have to say that I'm really impressed with your work. Awesome job and I love that 190. It's exactly the style I'm looking for right now.

As for the chrome, I have a lot of experience in the car world with drag racing and such. If I bought a car or motor with chrome covers, they were always one of the first things to go. Valve covers, timing covers, water necks, and every single chrome oil pan I've ever seen leaked. Even the nicest of them did at some point and the ones that "come with" motor packages are rarely the top shelf items. Don't even get me started on chrome differential covers! :rolleyes:

Just my two pennies, but I'd hate to see that nice new bilge get dirty if you don't have to. Besides, who wants to polish stuff that you have a cover over most of the time?? :)

Jake

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great news on the motor, and the local merchants!. Your selection would make it worth a road trip just to go shopping for parts!

Cant wait to see her running. I bet you sneak out there and have a beer with her at night:D Nice peaceful moments:cool:.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I got the Gimble sanded, primed and painted. i even put the new sticker on. I have to say, that was the hardest paint job I have ever done. There is so much grease on the back side, it was almost impossible to avoid fisheyes! it came out pretty good.

Ok, here is a new engine update. I have decided to upgrade from the old log style manifolds to a GLM center riser conversion kit. While I have this thing apart, I night as well do this right.

The bad thing is that my manifolds are one season old and the elbows are NEW!!!! I am going to put them all together and see what I get on ebay. Anyone know what I should ask for the complete set?

DSC00007.jpg

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

great find on the engine, can't wait to start seeing it go together. tink

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Looks like it turned out pretty good. I can't help much on the exhaust pricing.
I can offer one thing, When I but used Items from any place I won't pay more then 50-75 % of new price including shipping. That is just my personal rule. If I can't get them for that I just buy new.
Hope this helps.
Bob

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good, waiting patiently for the finished project. I can't believe we are supposed to get snow tomorrow in NE GA! It is March I'm ready for spring!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, nice looking paint! I really enjoy seeing the detail you put into your work!