81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Have you thawed enough to get the boat on the trailer? Mine got snowed on this morning.....first time in a year....I feel like I am neglecting her!

Friscoboater

Captain

The wind came up like you would not believe and they are predicting more snow this afternoon. It will have to wait until next weekend. How is the booth coming?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Just need to install the fans and get the two doors on....ceiling took a little while. I pushed the boat out last night, it has a little ice on it now!

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jay, put your gimbal housing on the boat before you install the bellows...

I repeat, Put your gimbal housing on the boat before you install the bellows...

I just got done with my bellows/shift cable/ and gimbal bearing.

1. The gimbal bearing went very smoothly, in and out, snap ring went in without TOO much trouble.

2. Tapping the hole for the shift cable was a cinch...since it was already tapped all the way through BUT even the special socket from mercruiser would not fit. I had to grind the inside of the bellhousing just a little bit and it fit.

3. Bellows suck, especially when you have nothing to push against. You need to be able to push against the gimbal housing so the bellows will fit.

I followed the manual and its instructions seemed to work without too much trouble except the u-joint clamp on the bellhousing side which I used an extension with a swivel for. I also had a special swivel screw driver for the other hose clamps.

The exhaust tool works and I don't see doing the job without it, but it could be improved upon.

Friscoboater

Captain

Keith, that post made me laugh!!!! I did my bellows the past summer after finding about 50 gallons of water after a day on the water. I remember how I had to push and push to get that thing on. Did you reinstall the gimble bearing yet? How did you do it?

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Okay, I thought you hadn't done them. My gimbal was easy.

-Took off snap ring which I don't think you have.
-popped out bearing with screw driver and hammer on the bearing edge from the engine side.
-Cleaned bearing seat area
-Used a piece of wood to gently pound the bearing back in constantly checking to make sure it was going in straight
-reinstalled snap ring.

The new style bearing sits much tigheter in the hole than the old sytle.

I forgot to mention that my water hose looks a little kinked, but it doesn't seem to effect flow through the full range of motion. The water hose I used was pre-cut and installed per the manual.

Friscoboater

Captain

So I got my little flange tool today (Thanks bankfisher) and I installed my brass drain tube. All I have to say is that the 3M 5200 is some nasty stuff. It reminds me of tar. Every time I would wipe it would show up somewhere else.

So this weekend i plan on putting her bank on the restored trailer and starting the repaint of the gimble and outdrive.

I cannot wait to clean my garage!!!!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

Just a little update today. I needed to get this thing back on the trailer so I can build me a small paint booth for the outdrive. It went real smooth and I am now ready to clean the garage.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqaFwOn_dRg

And some pictures

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Looks great, what a shine. Awesome.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have done a fantasitic job. I have been watching this thread from the beginning. I had a 2001 SX195 until last year and decided to move up in size, teenagers never want to come without a friend. Can't wait to see if completed, keep up the good work.

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks guy. Check out these cover support I got a west marine. It has straps that go from the front to the back and hold the cover up and will not allow puddles. It came in real handy this morning when we got a Sever Storm that rolled through.

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frisco, the boat looks great! I have one of those pole supports for my searay. It is kind of a pain to put together, but once you have it adjusted its pretty easy to put up. My problem was that the tarp would sit directly on top of the motor cover / sun platform. When I would put it up at the lake, it would get mold between the platform and the trap. That thing worked great to hold it up where the air could circulate. When are you getting the motor???:D:D:D

Friscoboater

Captain

Arch,

My sun deck is not installed yet and I might have the same problem. If I do I will put something under it to keep it elevated.

As far as the engine is concerned, it will be another couple of weeks. I have changed my mind once again on what I am going to do.

I do not trust anyone when it comes to mechanics, and buying a crate motor just scares me. I cannot check all the torque specs or cam specs without tearing it down. So here is what I am going to do.

1. I am going to get a 4bolt main shortblock assembled. That way I can confirm everything is done right. I am not real keen on installing pistons.

2. I am going to get the Comp Cams XM262H Marine cam kit. This one seams to give good torque, but awesome performance and sound.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=12-236-3&Category_Code=HFTXM

3. Then I will get some 2.02 cast iron heads that have had a valve job to help with the breathing.

4. I then will assemble it myself to make sure it is perfect.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't blame you on the motor. Just like the radiator, when you do it, you know it's right. I've been burned by mechanics before too.

My main thorn in the side is plastigauge. I hate torquing bolts just to take them back off. Especially in aluminum(imports). Murphy is always around.
The short block should eliminate most of that.

She's looking real good. :D

The way things are going, you guys will be coming back from the lake this summer and checking my thread to see if I got anything done!:rolleyes:

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks mountainman. When things warm up a little things will go real fast. the cold has kept me at bay even in a garage. When it is warm, things just fly along. My goal is to be water ready by mid April.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frisco, sounds like a plan. I wish I could say I'll be ready by mid April, but I will be lucky to make Memorial Day!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
the boat really looks great. You can rest your arms from all that sanding while cruising across the lake.
Sounds like a good plan on the motor too, at least you will know what you have.
One thing on the boat, I don't think it will float very long with that big keyhole in the back. :D:p:D
Great job.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Very funny Bob!!!!! I needed a little laugh. I was going to give the garage a good cleaning today but mother nature had other plans. So the whole family went to the mall to spend money.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very funny Bob!!!!! I needed a little laugh. I was going to give the garage a good cleaning today but mother nature had other plans. So the whole family went to the mall to spend money.
At least your's had to leave the house to do it. I need to put a block on HSN and the other one's on the tube. :(
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

At least your's had to leave the house to do it. I need to put a block on HSN and the other one's on the tube. :(
Bob

That is true. I like going to mall sometimes. I get to see what crazy crap everyone wears.