81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

So Frisco, it's YOU! :mad: Would you mind taking your boat and moving up to Skibum's for a couple of months....I need some warm weather down here already! :D Looking good, where are you on the new motor?

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Skibum.

Well officially at the Airport we got 12.5". That is just Crazy for this part of the country.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

you sure are doing a great job frisco...keep it up! :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
I feel your pain. I can't believe this crazy weather. I am really ready for spring.
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Vegas. I need to get teh boat on the trailer again and start the refurb on the gimble and outdrive (paint).

I will order the engine in about a month when things get a little warmer.

tallcanadian

Captain

I keep telling you southern folk to give back our snow. We are still waiting for it. It's been unusually mild and snow free. This is weird for us.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ok, so this is totally off topic but I just have to vent. As many of you know I own a customer home theater business. Now I have been doing this for about 20 years, and I have a large client base and my services are in high demand due to my level of service. My prices are VERY competitive for the level of service and quality I give. During the economic slowdown we started doing some mailer advertising through a magazine called the "Home Mag". It goes to about 200,000 people in the Dallas area. Now I have never done any advertising at all, but we wanted to try other things since we had some time as we were thinking about hiring a sales guy just to take on the advertising leads, and I would handle our referrals. What I have some to find out is that this type of advertising brings a different buyer. The cut throat price shopper. I am no stranger to getting shopped, or competing against the next guy, but lying to my face, come on. How can some people live their life this way taking advantage of other people. I will not tell you all of my stories, but the one today takes the cake.

This customer called me last week and had me come out at night so that the whole family could be there. I usually have a strict policy about meeting in the evening. People are not really in the buying mood at that time and they usually are just kicking tires and dreaming. Most people that are ready to make a decision will meet you at any time. Well I googled this guys house and it was in the millions, so I broke my own rule. Anyway I met these people and spent about two hours in their home going over customer cabinets, paint, and audio equipment. This was a big system, and like an idiot I gave them the cabinet guys number and the painters number so they could meet them. BIG MISTAKE!!!! So I went back and spent 4 hours designing cabinets and a cool system. I even gave them several options. Well after a few days of sending over the quote I called them to follow up. He was glad to hear from me and was ready to move forward.... with one catch. They were Direct Buy members and had purchased all the equipment that I specified and just wanted me to do the labor. This guy knew he was going to do this to me from the start. He wanted me to design the system so he could cut me out and hope that I would still put it in. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was floored. he said don't you make all your money on the labor anyway? WRONG AGAIN!!!!! I explained how once I have a crew, a van, and all the tools rolling, labor is nothing to shake a stick at. I then explained that it was a package deal and we make a little on everything, and what he did was taking away how I make my living. He was speechless. I guess he thought this was just the way you do things. He still could not understand why I would not do the job. I asked him how he built his house. Did you go to home depot or the internet and buy the wood and other materials, and then have some one just do the labor? He seemed to understand, but the deed had been done. On top of all this, I contacted my painter and cabinet guys and is still going to have them do their part. I wonder if he is going to get his paint at Direct buy.

Just before we hung up the phone I told him that their would be a design fee for all the work I put in, and he said what? My last few words were....

You would pay and architect wouldn't you?

If you read this whole thing, thanks.

Please do not waste peoples time if you have no intention of buying from them. This is how people make their living.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hear you Frisco.... we competed with 2 other firms for a bank remodel last year. We typically give them a presentation...brochure (custom one tailored to the client) and proposal. Typically they will review all of the info and select a architect. They came back and said, "can you give us some ideas of what we could do?" Typically I stick my hand out at this point....I have no problem doing preliminary design, as long as everyone gets a couple bucks for it. We'll it was slowing down, so I broke my rule. Anyhow 3 designs later and $10k of my money, we gave our final presentation. They loved our design...but we didn't get the project....they went with someone cheaper. Guess what I found out last week? THEY ARE USING OUR DESIGN! They picked the cheapest architect, then stole our design! Of course jacking around in court would be a waste of time....we all know who wins there, attorneys.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, so this is totally off topic but I just have to vent. As many of you know I own a customer home theater business. Now I have been doing this for about 20 years,

Just before we hung up the phone I told him that their would be a design fee for all the work I put in, and he said what? My last few words were....

You would pay and architect wouldn't you?

If you read this whole thing, thanks.

Please do not waste peoples time if you have no intention of buying from them. This is how people make their living.

Sorry to hear that man. That really sucks. I see it all the time in my Business. I'm an auto mechanic. When people want to bring there own stuff, we usually do it, but with no guarantee and we really stick it to them with the labor. Most of the time, the service writer will tell them to return all the stuff they bought if they want us to do it, and we'll supply the parts.

We had a guy not too long ago. Bring his car in for diagnostics, and when when we told him what he needed, he said, ok, I'm just going to take it to my friend that will do it for cheap. Then when we gave him a bill for diagnostic time, he crapped himself, and totally went off in the office in front of all our customers. Now I know he had planned it from the start, would of been nice if he told us at the beginning, we'd tell him to take a hike. The guy just couldn't believe that we were going to charge him to diagnose his car.

Friscoboater

Captain

It seems these type of people think that all this stuff is free. My mother in law does this stuff all the time. She will hire an interior designer to come in and design her house, and then she does it herself. It really makes me mad. I think i will have to start offering two different labor rates for customer purchased equipment. I may loose a client, but I also loose the headache. Most of the stuff that a client purchases themselves is not the same and what we quoted, but they think that this stuff is easy.

I really need to get to work on my boat to calm me down. I have to tell you that I really love what i do, but I am getting tired of people that think I am doing this for my health.

If I ever win the lottery, I will not stop working all together. I will just build me a big shop so I can work on projects all the time.

Thanks for listening.

Friscoboater

Captain

Sorry to hear that man. That really sucks. I see it all the time in my Business. I'm an auto mechanic. When people want to bring there own stuff, we usually do it, but with no guarantee and we really stick it to them with the labor. Most of the time, the service writer will tell them to return all the stuff they bought if they want us to do it, and we'll supply the parts.

We had a guy not too long ago. Bring his car in for diagnostics, and when when we told him what he needed, he said, ok, I'm just going to take it to my friend that will do it for cheap. Then when we gave him a bill for diagnostic time, he crapped himself, and totally went off in the office in front of all our customers. Now I know he had planned it from the start, would of been nice if he told us at the beginning, we'd tell him to take a hike. The guy just couldn't believe that we were going to charge him to diagnose his car.

Now that is funny. He really thought that was free? When I was in car stereo in the 80s I had a kid come up to me and ask me how to build a box and install the stuff in his car. I pointed at our labor rates and told him that is how we make our living. he went off right there in the store. Talking about how we were robbing him blind.

parrisw

Ensign

Now that is funny. He really thought that was free? When I was in car stereo in the 80s I had a kid come up to me and ask me how to build a box and install the stuff in his car. I pointed at our labor rates and told him that is how we make our living. he went off right there in the store. Talking about how we were robbing him blind.

Yup, it just leave's me speechless. The guy even said to the service writer, "are you for real?" Then he said that right back to him.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Gentlemen,
I do a lot of the work on my own things around the house, the car and anything that needs it. However with that said, if I need the advise of a pro, I will get it but I will tell them upfront what my intentions are and pay them for their time and expenses. I sometimes even have them go ahead and do the work if I feel I can't get the results myself. I have never had or caused the type of problems you describe.
Unfortunately Not all people care if you are trying to earn a living they just want it all, and their way.
Sorry to hear you had to meet the latter,
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel for you Frisco, I see that stuff all the time. I've got a friend in Colorado that does high end woodworking. When someone bucks a price and says "I can beat that at Wal-mart" or " Finger-hut isn't that high!" His answer is: "you're not in my market, go ahead and buy that stuff, you wouldn't appreciate the quality anyway"

Another business friend of mine" will price-shop telecom parts across several different vendors just to get his quotes as low as possible. Guess what? His customers are cheap and difficult to collect from.

I was on the other end of the stick when a local college bought a Medical lab simulator package. The bought all the parts from the vendor's bid, then ask us to integrate it and put it all together. We did so (reluctantly) with the assistance of the original vendor. We were up front with the vendor and explained that we weren't after his business and we didn't like the feel of this either. Given the price of this thing, we figure in wouldn't happen again.

The same college tried to do this with podiums and presentation electronics. This time we figured the only way to fight it was to compete!. We surveyed the market and added a line to our service. Lecturns and Podiums. Using a CNC router, and a decent wood shop we now have purchase orders for 15 podiums in 3 different colleges.

I hate to say it but that's the way people are getting. My mother always said to do it right, and keep your ethics. The right customers will hang on to you, and you don't need the others. The "low-ball" customers will come back to bite you in the A@#. Good Riddens.

tallcanadian

Captain

Good for you frisco. I just enjoy the look on their faces when you tell them no or that you will charge. I've spent hours on quotes on camera systems for businesses and homes and I've run into the same sort of people you have. And most times, for whatever reasons, it's seems to be people with money. I give them quotes and them they come back and tell me they bought their gear elsewhere and want us to install it. I won't do it. I know what will happen. They will be calling constantly for me to go and repair this crap they bought elsewhere. We sell quality equipment and stand behind it. I'm not wasting my time trying to keep some cheap business or home owner happy.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm pretty lucky most of the time, our clients are extremely loyal...I credit that to the fact that we do things right and get it taken care of no matter what. I'm sure you have a lot of those Frisco, just keep concentrating on them and the rest will take care of itself. "Cheap" is a relative term. Hope you are thawing out.....snow is back here....

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad I am not the only one dealing with this. The economic slowdown has forced all of us to work for less, but it is getting out of hand. You can only sell things so cheap before someone loses money. My clients are very loyal, but they are not spending as much as they used too, and that is why we tried the advertising thing. It seemed to work for a while but then just tanked with the quality of the clients. The funny thing is that my prices are VERY competitive to the other guy in this town, but everyone thinks that electronics are like furniture of jewelry with profit. We are lucky to get 5% out of TV sets and 20% out of everything else. Seriously how can you make money if you sell for less? We are seeing our bigger clients come around again after the storm so I hope I can get away from all this.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not to totally take over the thread, but I am in the middle of a home remodel right now and the contractors are bending over backwards to get the business. To be honest, I think this market is a reality check for a lot of contractors, I remember 2 years ago they would not even come out to your house and would stick it to you every time on the price just because they could. And when they did show up in their 50K trucks, it was to scribble a quote on a napkin and then move on to the next job. Welcome to reality folks. I sell medical equipment and you would not believe how much money my company spends, just responding to an RFP. Customers expect you to fully educate them on new technology and then they just go buy the cheapest product they can find. Unless you are a licensed professional, IE architect or engineer, you should get used to this new reality. Personally I love it, this economy weeds out all the poser contractors that have no business running a business and I get a fair deal on my remodel.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Trust me, I know plenty of idiot architects that will do things for damn near free. They forget that they are liable for the next 10 years for ANYTHING that happens. At a certian point I just say fine, go hang yourself.

Friscoboater

Captain

Superpop,

I hear what you are saying. I am a licensed Cedia designer and technician, and that has taken me many years to achieve. Service and quality will always come at a premium.

This is just the time of the Vultures, and it too will pass.

Ok back on topic.