81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 81 Glastron SX-190 Transom and Engine- PICS Galore Update 11-8

Hey Frisco - Have you sealed & mounted the transom bracket permanently yet? I saw the test fitting, but I can't find anywhere in the Clymers book where it shows where to caulk & seal, etc, and with what.

I'm thinking 3M 4200, but that's again, just me guessing.

I'm hoping it warms up here again soon, so I can get back at mine!

Friscoboater

Captain

Not yet. I still need to paint the housing before I mount it. I will be buying a new rubber seal and using 5200 to seal it.

Friscoboater

Captain

Well the old boat is gone.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
I take it that someone took it away. That's great at least it's out of your hair.
Now get back to work.!!!!! :D:p:D
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Yep. I need to do a clean on the garage and get the boat back on the trailer. I am trying to drum up more cash by selling crap on ebay. I almost have enough to do all the stuff I want too.

New Engine
Aluminum intake
rebuild the carb
paint the out drive with two part auto paint.
new starter
battery trays
New hip steering wheel
Transom seal kit
All gaskets for the engine
Etc

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to see you got rid of the doner. I soooo wanted to see it "moored" in your front yard!:D

OK, define "Hip" talk about a wide range, 25 bucks for an ABS cheapie to 250 bucks for custom!:eek: I'm trying to figure out whether to salvage my stock wheel or get something sporty to match the new Dashboard. I just cant see the big bucks.

tallcanadian

Captain

Well the old boat is gone.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm glad you gave it away though, it'd be a shame to cut it up. You may have recruited another new iboats member.

Friscoboater

Captain

As a matter of fact I pointed him to this site for advise. He is a super cool guy and wanted to restore a boat. So I think it went to a good home.

As far a the Steering wheel, I think kinda in between. The old wheel has the woodgrain on it, and now does not match.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Look at all the boats we are saving. :D:D
That 2 I know of this week. :D

Mountain_Man,
If you look around you can find some pretty good looking wheels without spending big $$$$$
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Well I pointed another person to this website. A guy came by tonight to buy the outdrive and gimble housing from me (I sold it too cheap) and he was telling me about all the work he is about to do on his boat. I said you have to check out this site for advise. His boat has been in the water for three years and it is a 1983 model. It needs a bellows and alot of other things. So he purchased my stuff to practice on it first before ripping into his. Brilliant if you asked me. He told me a story about a very well know boat mechanic here is town that screwed him over. He took his boat in three years ago for a leaky bellows and to have a service done. When I picked it up they showed him a box of parts and he thought nothing of it. Well midway through the summer he started taking on water again. He looked at the bellows and saw black silicone plugging a hole in his "new" bellows. How bout them apples?

Anyway the next couple of weeks are going to be real hard for me to do any updates or be on the board much. We had a ton of deals close and I will be busy as a beaver for the next couple of weeks. Thank the Lord for the business!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey friscoboater,
Sorry to hear you may not be on the board much. I always enjoy reading your post.
You do realize the harassment won't stop. :p
We all need to keep the day job going.
Get it done man and get back on.
Bob

tallcanadian

Captain

We can't turn down work for sure, but i'm sure we will all be waiting in anticpation for your return. Good luck with the work.

Friscoboater

Captain

Man... I am getting withdrawals being away from this place. This past week was CRAZY busy and it looks like the next two are the same way. I am not complaining at all. You have to get while the gettin's good! I just cannot hang out here as much and read threads.

Keith/Arc/Bob... I need to catch up on your threads.

I had a little time this weekend to get a little work done and get you guys updated on videos and pictures.

Update time,

1. I have 90% of all the parts sold off that old boat, and I am happy to say I have all the money I need to complete the project right.

2. All the polishing is complete and most of the trim is back on and polished.

3. I installed the new Attwood chrome vents, blower and new vent hose.

4. Installed and wired the new 750GPH Auto Bilge Pump

5 My lovely wife scrubbed the boat from bow to stern and got it looking really nice. She took Xylene to the vinyl seats and the ground in dirt came right out. The seats look new

6. Teak oiled all the wood on the boat.

Next weekend I just might put her back on the trailer and start getting the gimble and the outdrive ready for paint. I am going to shoot them with a two part auto paint for durability. I need to make a small paint booth for that.

After that I will order the Engine and get ready for a test run! My goal is late April.

Ok so enough gabbing, here are some videos and pictures

Videos

Water Pump removal out of the Donor boat. I thought I would tear into this one so I know how to do mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPnEVmR6qE

This video is all about the death of the Donor boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyuOyLVe_YE

Some pictures

DSC09861-1.jpg

DSC09860-1.jpg

DSC09878.jpg

DSC09879.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

friscoboater,
The boat is really looking great. Glad to hear you got most of the parts sold off the donor boat.
It's also good to hear that work is going good.
As far as catching up on my thread you really haven't missed anything, The weather has kept me off the boat. Just been working on some odds and ends.
Well good to hear from you.
Take care
Bob

tallcanadian

Captain

Looks awesome. The pic with the blower vent, the boat looks really nice, like new.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great Frisco, I can't wait to see the new motor going in!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lookin' great. I can't believe how the exterior cleaned up! Glad to see work is good. I've taken another job and seem to be working 50 a week. no time left. 13 days straight right now.

Thanks for the video of the impeller replacement. I haven't taken mine down yet waiting on the weather. Snow three weeks in a row here. Everything's covered still.:mad:

If you get a chance - PM me the part number for that vent. I want to replace mine, and weren't sure of the right ones.

Friscoboater

Captain

Mountain man,

I threw away the packaging. I found them on ebay and I went by the measurements. They are made by attwood and come in a few different colors.

We just got 11" of snow here in Dallas, and it is still coming down. That is an all time record!!!! So I buy a boat and we have one of the coldest winters on Record? Go figure!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Frisco, Move north, we dont have any snow on the ground. Looking great. I wish mine would have cleaned up that well. Keep up the good work.