'77 Starcraft SS 16 (freshen)

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '77 Starcraft SS 16 (freshen)

Haven't updated for a while. Got my two new rivets in and my leakage mostly stopped.

I made some (gravel) protectors for my trailer lights out of some old ductwork:

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

The final result can be seen in front of the taillight in the pic above (if you look close).

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Encased the tilt/trim solenoid in a water "proof" box from maynards:
boat3.jpg

There were two holes already drilled in the splash well, so that influenced the location of this box. The solenoid should be safe from flying fishing rods and wet fingers (still need to deal with dangling wires):
boat4.jpg

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got everything sufficiently functional to take a road trip. No on-the-lake action shot (having too much fun to fiddle w/ a camera), but you get the idea. Nice snowy day for a ride in a bowrider (actually, we hit the lake the day before this shot).

trip7.jpg

Everything went well. Hardly a drop of water in the boat after a day on the water. The motor ran great until later in the day when it started acting stubborn when I would punch it. I had to ease into it slowly (getting onto plane) otherwise it would die. I need to work on that. The first order of business will be to free up the throttle linkage (on the motor) that is fairly tightly bound by prehistoric/fossilized grease.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Picked up a nice used top for the boat this spring. I didn't give much for it because it was made for an old trihull and I was unsure of fit. I did a test fit today. Luckily, for the most part it fits.

boat6.jpg

The top is not pulled tight (the base of the frame is just sitting on the gunwale) but it doesn't look bad.
boat5.jpg

Can I somehow attach the buttons and deck hinge to the aluminum trim/rail on the inner portion of the gunwale without drilling additional holes? If so, will this trim withstand the stress?

boat8.jpg

This is the deck hinge (in an adjustable track) on the boat for which the top was originally made:
boat9.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hope I can find something like that....fishing in the rain, woohoo
Looks like plenty of headroom, nice score!

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey,

Nice looking SS. I just bought an 18ftr and i too appreciate the pics of the original cushion arrangement. This is at least the 2nd resto of mine, and i appreciate all the help and experience that is available on iboat.

Be glad on the PTT that it wasn not a 1970-1974, they make no parts and they can't be fully rebuild. I think i found the last one in the US that still works for my 115 Johnson.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey,

Nice looking SS. I just bought an 18ftr and i too appreciate the pics of the original cushion arrangement. This is at least the 2nd resto of mine, and i appreciate all the help and experience that is available on iboat.

Be glad on the PTT that it wasn not a 1970-1974, they make no parts and they can't be fully rebuild. I think i found the last one in the US that still works for my 115 Johnson.

I saw your starchief on CL. My kids thought that would have been nice on our last trip. Might watch for one, but I see you said things were cramped for five.

I have a "junk" 1975 70hp with a nonfunctional PT&T (dead motor). There's a guy that makes an adapter for that model.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope I can find something like that....fishing in the rain, woohoo
Looks like plenty of headroom, nice score!

I lucked out. I don't like the sun or the rain. But, at least I risk going outside :) Now if I can finish getting this top tied down.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I lucked out. I don't like the sun or the rain. But, at least I risk going outside :) Now if I can finish getting this top tied down.

Sounds like a big hassle to me...that canvas is more trouble than it's worth. Tell you what, just send it my way and I will take it off your hands:D

I need to find a nice topper just like that one. Perfect since I am 6'5" and could use some clearance.

That 75 Stinger looks sweet on your SS. My Merc does the same thing, doesn't like it WOT. Runs great at 50-75% though. I am going to get the carbs rebuilt and see if that helps.

Are you thinking about having it looked at or taking a peek yourself?

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a big hassle to me...that canvas is more trouble than it's worth. Tell you what, just send it my way and I will take it off your hands:D

I need to find a nice topper just like that one. Perfect since I am 6'5" and could use some clearance.

That 75 Stinger looks sweet on your SS. My Merc does the same thing, doesn't like it WOT. Runs great at 50-75% though. I am going to get the carbs rebuilt and see if that helps.

Are you thinking about having it looked at or taking a peek yourself?

My boy would not be happy if I ship off the top too soon. He said that it's the perfect roof for the "boy club".

I might look at the carbs. Depends on the cost (I'm almost afraid to ask). I imagine that I worked some gunk loose and something's plugged. I bet I could cure it by simply blowing out the jets, but I could be wrong. Probably need to kit the carbs since the gaskets don't appear to offer the best seal any more. When I tilt the engine, I have a fair amount of liquid dripping out of the air intake (possibly other areas as well). Not sure if that's normal, but I don't like it -- I'm imagining a fire under the hood.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No real progress other than a partial sense of direction in seating (that shifted to steering). I was fighting trying to position the driver seat and just couldn't make it work. The boat has such a low console coupled with a low hanging steering wheel. Knocking knees! And I'm not exactly vertically challenged like HA. Here's a shot of the current mess with the most worthless old junk pedestal in the world.

b1.jpg

I looked at my old lonestar. It has a higher console (about 6") and a steering column that tilts upward. The seat can easily sit closer with this high console. So, I'm thinking that the SS is a poor design (or at least not accidentally designed with a future of pedestal seating in mind).
b2.jpg

The angled steering would be an improvement, but... I went and sat in a "modern" boat -- it has a low console (just like the SS), and the seat sits close to the wheel, but the steering wheel tilts... bingo. With my back, I would prefer the driver seating be extra good. So, today I took the plunge with a used tilt steering setup.

After I get that, I can get back to thinking about the seat position. I'll put in an air-ride pedestal to avoid transfering too much bounce through my spine (actually I probably won't wait too long on that).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You can get a wedge kit from teleflex to tilt the helm up

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can get a wedge kit from teleflex to tilt the helm up

I took the lazy way out. I decided that with the tilt steering I wouldn't have to think too hard about whether a 20 degree tilt would get the wheel up high enough - I could just set it where I like it. Eventually, when I redo the console (which is showing some signs of rot), I can mount the unit a little higher if necessary.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any trick to removing a boat steering wheel? I'm about to put a puller on it and envision plastic parts flying in all directions.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Any trick to removing a boat steering wheel? I'm about to put a puller on it and envision plastic parts flying in all directions.

I had to use a puller on my wheel after being on there for 42 years...
The advice (that didnt work for me) is to loosen up the nut to the tip of the threads on the shaft without taking it off..

Get bigarse hammer and WHACK the shaft head on while pushing up with your knees..upward and BANG..Upward and BANG..

or in my case..6 turns on a 4 claw puller popped it right off..

There should be a "key" in the shaft..dont loose it..

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As the wheel turns...

Careful about saying BANG, that could put a hole in my boat :) I think it will have to be the puller -- I'm afraid that the console might just fall apart with much abuse (although the sledge in the corner was calling my name :D).

While giving the wheel the evil eye (before giving it the business with a puller), I decided that I would unbolt the cable and make sure that it would mate to my replacement steering unit. The answer is no :( Evidently I have an older style of rack cable with finer teeth. Here's the old cable:
IMG_0754.JPG

Here's the new teeth:
IMG_0753.JPG

Poop. The tilt wheel looks like it will almost tilt up so that it is horizontal. Cool. I'm committed to this endeavour now, so I need to find a compatible cable. Here's the old part number. What replacement cable do I need?
IMG_0747.JPG

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry can't help ya on which cable you need, but congrats on the tilt score...sweet option to have!

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm fairly certain I need a UFLEX M86X14 or a Teleflex SSC13413, but then I blindly dove into this tilt deal telling myself "the teeth look the same... should work right?".

I'm antsy to get this new steering unit installed, although realistically I need to find a good deal on a cable. I might be able to sell the 13' detmar cable for a reasonable amount since it is in excellent condition and it sounds like they are a little hard to come by these days (since they are no longer made).