77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Gotcha - I'm going to stop by Lowe's this week and pick up the sander - the budget says I have to wait that long...haha - but I'll prob give it a try with the scrubpad as long as it doesn't get too hot - I'll make sure and blow it out frequently too...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use the Coarse 3M pad so air can flow well.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

My $60 Hitachi Random Orbit Sander(Lowes) with 40 grit does a decent job.

Hey WOG, Are you using the single-speed or the variable speed model?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went ahead and ordered the Hitachi today - I found it online at Big Sky Tool for 45 bucks so not too bad - just have to wait for it to get here! I've also been procrastinating with the epoxy I've got to order - will probably do that this weekend.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I took so long, I use the single speed.

No worries! I figured that was what you were using, but I just thought I'd ask!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got my new sander today! Nice dual action - going to take it out tonight and see what damage I can do!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's to having the right tool for the job! Haha - the new Hitachi works great - even with 80grit, I got more done in 20mins than I did in a whole hour with my little finish sander! Thanks again for the input WOG! Going to be a busy week, but I will definitely post some pics when I get more sanding on the cap done.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Staring to try and plan out what I want to do with my cap and tackle/rod storage eventually. I don't think I want to do too much in the way of mods, but I do want to have some inlaid rod storage and possibly some tackle storage. There is a hatch along the port side is already a little over 6 feet long, so I think that will be my inlaid rod storage. I'll probably extend the hatch a little towards the bow so I can fit 7 foot rods in there. Ran across this design by Edgewater boats that I may copy...

EdgeWater_240IS_04.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Weather Report's in! Sunshine and 50's for the weekend - Planning on going out and spending some quality time sanding the cap and getting a better idea of what mods/repairs I'll do with it before painting.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out and sanded on the cap for about 5hrs today - almost have the entire thing done with 60grit. I have just a couple more spots that I can hit with the orbital sander, then I have to do the detail areas around the hatches. Should have the initial sanding on the cap done tomorrow! Will post some pics tomorrow...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the plans to get out and finish sanding today backfired on me...haha - my wife informed me that after the day working on the boat yesterday, it was HER turn today:confused: hmmm...weird...

I did get out to take the pic I promised. Took this from the roof of my garage..haha
100_1817.jpg

As you can see, I'm not quite done with the sanding - still have to do some of the vertical "walls" that rest on the deck, and then I have to sand between the hatches. I tried using one of these flap-wheels from lowes (use it with a drill), but it's not getting in some of the crevices.
082354070021xl.jpg

Going to have figure something else out... maybe a smaller size, or just hand-sanding...

Any suggestions?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to get out and finish up the initial sanding today on the cap. Then I'll do filler and re-sand.

Question - I've read in other threads how lots of people seem to be using 3M marine filler. Is it necessary to use their "high strength" filler or can I just get the "Premium Marine" filler? The PM filler is about 1/2 the cost vs the HS.

0312-3069.jpg

46006.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some more sanding done today - nothing picture-worthy. I'm hand-sanding around the hatches, and it's coming out nice, just going to take some time...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ordered a quart of filler today - going to go out and sand some more this evening, going to try and finish the rough-sanding.