77 Skeeter Restoration

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 77 Skeeter Restoration

Quick link to a youtube video I thought was really helpful when replacing my trailer bunk carpet...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got out to the garage again this morning for a little bit more prep before my epoxy gets here.

The splashwell had been torqued with all the transome rot - tried to get a pic that showed the warping of the fiberglass where the motor bolts pulled it into the transom. Off the top edge, the fiberglass originally had capped over the top of the transom as well, but that part basically fragmented when I originally took the motor off and lifted the cap.

100_1767.jpg

This pic shows the warp a little better...

100_1768.jpg

So I started by cutting the part out that had been against the transom, but tried to leave the rest so that I would not have to completely reform the splashwell when I put it back together...

100_1769.jpg

100_1770.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also worked on where the cap had been tabbed to the deck -

One of the previous owners must have taken the cap off at some point, and did kind of a shotty job when he put it back on - lots of screws and staples that he just fiberglassed over, so I ended up taking a chisel and was able to just pop most of the glass and epoxy he used right off the original tab. I took an angle grinder and evened out the tab again as well.

100_1771.jpg

100_1775.jpg

More evidence of previous work done on this boat - kind of interesting really - someone previously had 2 pedastle mounts on the bow - one on each side, that they later patched back up...

100_1776.jpg

100_1777.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finished my "honey-do" list for the day, so I got to go out and do a little more demo...

This spot has been bothering me since I closed the boat up for the winter - this panel is lowered because when the cap is on, the livewell sits on top of it - but being lower, I couldn't see or feel what was underneath it - was worried I might find more wet wood or foam. The glass around the edges had a couple of cracks as well, so I decided "out with it".

Before cutting it out...
100_1778.jpg

Turned out to be a good thing that I cut it out - the plywood wasn't as bad as the deck had been, but definitely had gotten wet and was starting to delaminate...some wet foam too...
100_1780.jpg

100_1781.jpg

I also wanted to grind down these two nubs - there used to be 2 gas tanks in the back which sat against the nubs, but I'm replacing the tanks with a single plastic moeller tank that is big enough that it will have to sit across where the nubs are...

Before:
100_1779.jpg

After:
100_1782.jpg

Unfortunately (or fortunately), it looks like I'm going to have to tear out these rear surfaces too - the plywood again wasn't as bad as the deck had been, but still wasn't perfectly dry. Better to find it now than later - plus, it gives me something to do tomorrow!

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so my air compressor is not making the grade - I'd like to use it for 2 things - I have a pneumatic random orbital sander that needs 90psi, and also would like to eventually use an HVLP gun to spray paint later this summer.

I've been trying to use my small Black and Decker finish sander but it doesn't have enough guts to really cover enough ground fast enough.
100_1785.jpg

Here's my pneumatic RO sander that I would like to be using:
100_1783.jpg

I've got access to several other compressors that I can borrow from relatives, etc. but I have a question -

What kind of horse-power/capacity should I have to run the sander/spray later this summer?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I have a 5 HP, 26 Gallon, 5.5 SCFM Avg. @90 PSI and have never had any problems running all my tools, have yet to use an HVLP sprayer with it, but meets the specs as far as I can tell...it does take up a good sized foot print, but worth it to ensure having what ya need when ya need it!

jones01m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fishbone, man I am glad you asked this question. I was just looking around at compressors on CL.

JDA, are you running a DA sander with your compressor as fishbone has shown in the picture? From what I have read these da sanders and the sprayers are about the highest air usage tools. I'm really curious about the da.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it definitely draws the air - I had previously used the pneumatic sander when I worked at a custom woodwork/finishes shop - but it was run off an industrial compressor that supplied the entire building...was hoping my electric one would be enough to take down the finish, but it's just not cutting it - from the sound of it, I may have to trailer the cap and run it out to either my father's or father-in-law's - they both have larger compressors...will have to give this some thought...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out for a couple of hours today as well - tried to get those stern surfaces pulled up, and it turned out to be a good thing I did - lots of wet plywood and foam underneath. I made some good progress, but didn't get it completely cleaned up yet.

Weapon for the day...
100_1786.jpg

Always interesting to see aspects of the original design - I just got the glass pulled off the first part and you can see the pour hole where they put the foam in during the factory build...
100_1787.jpg

Both sides pulled - lots of wet foam...
100_1790.jpg

And mostly cleaned out...
100_1791.jpg

I got a start on pulling the stern stringers out - they mostly fell apart as I pulled on them. I didn't get them completely out before I had to get ready for dinner - had some friends over tonight, so the rest will have to wait for another day!
100_1792.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice weather today - hopefully will be able to get out tonight and finish cleaning out the old foam and stringers - then start cutting replacement pieces.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A DA sander can use up to 11CFM or more and you won't be happy with how it performs if you buy the wrong size compressor plus it's hard on the compressor to be running for long periods of time trying to catch up. The general rule of thumb to use to determine the size compressor you need is to determine the CFM rating of your most demanding air tool (Highest CFM) and than double the required CFM. Now if you only plan to use your compressor for a couple of small projects you can get away with a smaller compressor and just wait for the compressor to recover while you are working. I have a 3 hp 60 gallon and it "Kinda" keeps up but I do stop and let it fully catch up at times. I don't like to have it running that long.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

A DA sander can use up to 11CFM or more and you won't be happy with how it performs if you buy the wrong size compressor plus it's hard on the compressor to be running for long periods of time trying to catch up. The general rule of thumb to use to determine the size compressor you need is to determine the CFM rating of your most demanding air tool (Highest CFM) and than double the required CFM

I see - is there a type of DA sander that takes less air, or is there another type of sander that will be more agressive than my orbital finish sander? I do have access to a shop with an industrial compressor, but I'd have to trailer my cap and tow it across the state - haha - not the most convenient...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My $60 Hitachi Random Orbit Sander(Lowes) with 40 grit does a decent job.

hitnsv13yb.jpg

Or, you might try a $49 7" Variable speed Polisher/Sander from Harbor Freight.
image_11381.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks WOG! I'll check those out! Haha - sure beats the gas across the state or buying a bigger compressor...

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made it outside to finish pulling out the rest of those stringers -

100_1793.jpg

Just need to wirebrush the rest of the old foam out, and then cut new parts.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been hit or miss with the weather around here lately - not so bad really, because I've had to get some stuff done for work. But it's looking nice today - hopefully I can get the new rear stringers drawn up and cut tonight and replacement panels too...pics to come

I may stop by Lowes this weekend to pick up a new sander - I think I'm going to go with the Hitachi - thanks again WOG!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure to keep it Blown Out. The dust is a KILLER on motors.

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just make sure to keep it Blown Out. The dust is a KILLER on motors.

Will do! Didn't you mention in one of your other threads that you rubber-band a scrub-pad over the ventilation to filter some of the dust? or do you just leave it open?

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got out to work on the boat this afternoon -

Started out by wire-brushing the rest of the foam from the stern compartments...
100_1796.jpg

Here's the first rear stringer shaped out...
100_1795.jpg

Making sure it's level to where the panel will sit...
100_1797.jpg

Two done...
100_1798.jpg

fishbone77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shaped out the deck piece...
100_1801.jpg

And notched it out so I can access the plug...The 2x4 won't stay there - it's just there to keep the stringers vertical so I knew how wide to make my cutout from the deck-piece...
100_1802.jpg

Also got the low panel cut out - when the cap is on, the live-well sits on top of this...
100_1804.jpg