'77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower SPLASHED!

zach103

Commander
Re: '77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower - just beginning

I was going to do my electrical bus connectors with dielectric greae internally and any exposed screws connectors, etc with liquid electrical tape.

i second the liquid electrical tape!!!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Luhrs COSMOLINE! man I sure hope you don't have to remove it anytime soon that stuff is a pain in the a-- to remove times 10 and thats no BS try dialetric paste. work looks good so far or at least from the looks of all the hardware lying around

sprintst

Commander

Note sure that is the same stuff you pull of an old mil rifle stored. Kinda flammable I think too.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

OK maybe Cosmoline is going a bit overboard. I'll check out the other stuff people mentioned.

Thanks!

Bert

sprintst

Commander

I bought an M14 stored in cosmoline and can still smell it on my hands. It does keep the rifle rust free though :)

I never made it to do my connections but in the spring I'll brush the liquid tape on and it should both keep the nuts and bolts from backing off as well as keeping oxygen from getting at them.

You can get funky with the different colors or just buy a huge can in black

http://www.starbrite.com/prodcatalog.cfm?ProductCat=Home%20Care&ProductSCat=Liquid%20Electric%20Tape%20(Home)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Bert,

Great work dude!

Just found this thread and I'm all caught up..

Very cool project, I'll be watching, learning, and reading with much anticipation...

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man what a great project I almost bought one of those a few years ago.. It was just to big to trailer. I bought a 27 Tiara instead.. Well looks good I like the thought of the D Max I have one in my dually and love it. I would like to put a pair in my boat..

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. I'll be out at the boatyard again on Saturday, although if it's still 28 degrees out that's going to limit what I can do. The wire and sealtite conduit is stiff as hell at that temperature.

I might have to shift to indoors and do some finishing work on my engine. I still have to work out the throttle cable arrangement and a couple of other details.

I'll try to snap some interesting pics this weekend.

Bert

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Pics are our friends.:D Cant wait to see more of this project.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Hi guys. I'm afraid I don't have anything real exciting to show you. I could only spare about 2 hours to work on the boat today as I'm behind on my Christmas shopping.

I tried to neat-up the wiring to my port-side DC distribution setup. There's a similar one on the starboard side.
IMG_3407.jpg

I'm setting it up so the bilge pumps are the only thing powered up when the master switches are turned off.

I also ripped out the 4 nasty old cabin lights:
IMG_3409.jpg

And installed these LED lights:
IMG_3410.jpg

Because of all the windows the cabin gets fairly warm during the day, even though it's 32 degrees out. So it's not bad at all to work inside.

I only saw one other guy in the whole yard working on his boat this morning. In fact mine is one of the few boats that isn't shrink-wrapped or tarped over.

IMG_3420.jpg

I can't believe it's going to be January soon!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Now that is some clean wiring. My century looks like a rats nest.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice work on the wiring....looks factory! Details like that make all the difference in the world! Keep up the good work!

Triton II

Commander

Yes Luhrs, I've got to agree with PST and arch... exceptional wiring work with worthwhile mods such as LEDs. Looks like your winter weather is better than our summer (if you add a C instead of a F to your quoted temperatures! :)) we've had so much rain that your blue sky picture is giving me withdrawal symptoms. Keep up the good work and enjoy the clear days. :cool:

TII

sprintst

Commander

Much better than factory fresh on the wiring. I'm sure they never thought it out to that extent to get it as clean.

I bought ezacdc harnesses and wanted to trim them to length but left the extra footage coiled up. Makes me want to go out and trim them right now :)

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the nice comments on my wiring work. To be honest I'm much more a mechanical guy than electrical. It probably took me 3X as long to do that as a real electrician would've taken, but I got it done and there's no smoke!

I'm hoping to do a test-run of my diesel engine (sitting on a pallet) over the holidays. Since buying it last July it's just sat like a lifeless lump of cast iron. If I do I'll post a video on Youtube for my iboat friends.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sounds great, we love videos!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Christmas is traditionally a time for spending time with family and friends..............and working on your diesel boat engine. I came very close to having it ready for a test run today, but we're getting whalloped with a big snowstorm and I wanted to make sure I could get home. (I have the engine at the industrial company where I work)

Note the crappy plumbing fittings/hoses from Home Depot:

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

All it needs to run is wiring to the batteries, glow plug relay and a couple other switches. I should be able to crank it up this Friday or Saturday. I promise an action-packed Youtube video.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Looks terrific! I had a friend in the service that would substitute stainless steel braided hydraulic lines for all the hoses when he rebuilt cars (just for that custom touch)...... just a suggestion.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very cool, looking forward to hearing it crank up!

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re. the cheap home depot plumbing, be sure to keep an eye on that clear/braided hose. When they get warm they collapse very easily... which is generally a bad thing for flow. ;)