'77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower SPLASHED!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '77 Luhrs 28 ft. diesel repower - just beginning

Almost all the hoses in the photos are only temporary for testing on the wood skid. All that cheap Home Depot stuff is coming off when I go to drop the engine/tranny in the boat.

Thanks for the input guys!

Bert

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer
Engine test video!

Engine test video!

I finally got my engine started up this morning. One riser leaks but I think that's cause I don't have it bolted down evenly. Other than that it runs real nice.

Also the smoke is because just 2 minutes before I had been cranking it like an idiot wondering why it wouldn't start, not realizing the wire to the glow plug relay wasn't connected so the manifolds were full of raw fuel.

If the link below doesn't work just go on Youtube and do a search for "GM 6.2 Marine engine".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctx9WOcV5_k

mytquinn

Cadet

Nice! Sounds good. Thanks for the video.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine test video!

Cool! Can't wait to see it in your boat!

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent video and great work. If it brought a smile to my face (and it did) I can only imagine how much you enjoyed it. That certainly bodes well for the new year.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys! I thought the same thing, that it's a good omen for the new year. It's almost like the engine spoke to me: "Hey Bert I'm ready to power your cabin cruiser for many happy voyages in 2011. I promise to be reliable as long as you change my fuel filters and flush out my manifolds and risers regularly."

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You need a gas burner. I have the one you need in my boat. I will swap you even. Do you think that will make an alpha 1 take a dirt nap? Great sounding mill. Can wait to see more of your progress.

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you considered a cam for your RPM usage?

We use the same engines in generators as in trucks, tractors, equipment and Marine the main difference is the cam. Generators in US of A run at 60 hz so with 4 pole generator run a constant 1800rpm regardless of the load on the genset end. Equipment that use the engine to power hydraulics run at the RPM as the hydraulic pumps are set for.

A cam for your rpm needs could decrease fuel usage and make the engine run more efficient and help reduce wear and also reduce even more strain on cooling system.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

kg5388: Yes I understand what you're saying but I've yet to even have the boat in the water since buying it last summer, so I don't know what engine RPM I'm going to cruise at most of the time. I want to get some running under my belt before trying to optimize things like that. Besides if the power is just completely inadequate I'll probably swap the 6.2 out for a bigger engine next fall/winter.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have been watching your thread since your first post, it looks like things are coming along great. Motor sounds awesome. Now if we can get rid of all the snow we had in NJ last week so outside projects can continue. Keep up the good work.

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this looks like an awsome project.
I have always wondered about swapping non conventional
engines into boats..

This is an awesome thread, good pic's and nice detail

keep up the good work. I cant wait to see the first splash
with it.

happy new year

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the comments guys. Maybe it's just 'cause of New Years but I feel like I've just passed the tipping point, where there is less work ahead of me than behind me. At least I hope that's true.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice thread. Great video. Excellent workmanship.

Wonder if I can swap out my 350 for that diesel?

Can't wait to see more!! Keep it up!

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the kind replies.

I'm aware that compared to something like a Yanmar the GM 6.2 is regarded as a "throwaway" engine, but in a way that's a benefit. If I blow it up I can get a replacement cheap and easy.

Another thing that makes the 6.2 an easy conversion is the fact that the bellhousing bolt pattern is identical to a Chevy 305/350. GM did that so they could use all their existing transmissions.

I digress, but as an example of how robust diesel engines are, I own a 1981 Olds Delta 88 with the 5.7 diesel. The 5.7 was GM's first diesel and generally regarded as the worst engine ever made. But mine runs great and I commute in it almost 100 miles a day. I just do normal maintenance on it and it keeps on going.

GM took all the things they learned on the 5.7 Olds and incorporated those improvements in the 6.2. Detroit Diesel also helped with the design of the 6.2. So yes it's sort of a throwaway engine but it's a fairly good design in my opinion.

Does that mean I can swap out my 350 to the 6.2 diesel?

Would be nice. But not practical. Adds 2-300 pounds to the stern too.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

Imannyr: Thanks for the nice comments on my project. Yes any boat that has a 305/350 can potentially have a 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel swapped in. As for the weight difference I'm really not sure, but I think it's closer to 200 lbs. than 300.

The 10-degree cold has me at almost a standstill right now. I'm going over to my place of employment tomorrow to work inside our heated machine shop on my throttle mechanism and a couple other brackets. That's about all I can do right now. It also isn't helping that we're getting snowed on in NJ about every 5 days. Ugh!

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I bet not too many of you guys have made one of these:
IMG_3753.jpg

Can anybody guess what its purpose is?
IMG_3761.jpg

It's a throttle travel corrector. One day I was checking into how my Morse controls on the flybridge would connect up to my diesel injection pump (hoping it would be simple), when I found out that the Morse lever caused 3" of cable travel, and the lever on the injection pump only needed 1.5" travel. I decided I couldn't just leave it that way 'cause then a small movement of the Morse throttle would cause the engine to increase by 800 RPM or so, which would've been a real pain when docking.

So in the photos picture the Morse cable coming in on the left and attaching to the top ball-fitting on the lever arm. The cable halfway down the arm is the one going to my injection pump.

It took me forever to make this thing, as I'm really not good at intricate stuff.

Patent licenses are available if anybody is interested.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Very cool. Hope you get back o the project in full steam soon

Triton II

Commander

Nice job on the throttle corrector... looks like a bought one! :D

TII

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Nice! I always dreamed of diesels in mine! When are engine and boat meeting?