29' Carter Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 29' Carter Safari

dude...that exhaust is frickin awesome! i like to hear a boat when im cruisin across the lake.

old outboards seem to scream pretty good.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looking great. maybe a labor day cruise. oh well you are in Canada, but can celebrate US labor day. also what i like best is that you have kept the priorities in order, safe good running boat, then the cosmetics.

We also have Labour Day here. We just throw a "U" in it for good measure.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a running vid of the port engine!! Unfortunatly the starboard engine isnt being very friendly. We think we have a shot manifold. water is leaking into the cylinder on one side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7el9RC8LrO0

so far we have spent about 6k overall(money back from seller the trailer subtracted), not bad, but we arent done yet...

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey great vid where did you get the thru hulls and they have the flappers atached?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

ebay, not sure what brand, but they are about 16" from the flange to the tip..... there are flappers in 3 of them, the forth one is missing, and we are going to get a new one...(basically a round peice of rubber with 2 screw holes..LOL)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is going to be awesome. love that roar.

parrisw

Ensign

any news on the water in the engine yet? Did the new engines not come with new manifolds?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

the engines came with manfolds, but the age of the manifolds in unknown.(engines are not brand new, just new to us) they are closed cooled, so that helped. We are going to pull the manfold today and hook a hose up to it and cap the other end. this should tell us where the problem is...

one engine runs perfectly, the other plain old sucks... go figure. LOL the joys of twins...

the engine having the problem, is the one we showed in al the running vids earlier in this thread.. the one running perfectly, shown in the last vid, is the one we were waiting for parts for and never got a vid of on the ground...

Problem is, the manifolds got all mismatched, and i cant say for sure if this particular manifold was ever run on either of the engines in the past.. We swapped alot of parts around to save time and avoid too much dismantling and rebuilding...
engine that has the problem, way back when, running perfect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYMC76yodo

Page 4 of this thread...

parrisw

Ensign

the engines came with manfolds, but the age of the manifolds in unknown.(engines are not brand new, just new to us) they are closed cooled, so that helped. We are going to pull the manfold today and hook a hose up to it and cap the other end. this should tell us where the problem is...

one engine runs perfectly, the other plain old sucks... go figure. LOL the joys of twins...

the engine having the problem, is the one we showed in al the running vids earlier in this thread.. the one running perfectly, shown in the last vid, is the one we were waiting for parts for and never got a vid of on the ground...

Problem is, the manifolds got all mismatched, and i cant say for sure if this particular manifold was ever run on either of the engines in the past.. We swapped alot of parts around to save time and avoid too much dismantling and rebuilding...
engine that has the problem, way back when, running perfect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYMC76yodo

Page 4 of this thread...

I see. I hope you get it sorted out soon, and its nothing major. Good luck with it.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

spent the day trying to fix our water in cylinder issue, we are no further ahead now, then we were yesterday at this time:mad:

removed manifold, cleaned all gasket surfaces, applied new gaskets with sealer, pressure tested manifold by hooking up water and plugging all outputs, all seems fine, reinstalled, cranked over for a little while, then it started all over again... :mad:

found a good deal on a nearly new manifold, going to get it tomorrow, then maybe get it installed, but i am back to work again tomorrow after having 5 days off.. so it may not get installed until like monday...:(

parrisw

Ensign

You sure its the manifold then? Maybe you have a head gasket gone?

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

nothing really adds up to a bad head gasket, i was thinking ill do a compression test aswell. the random cylinders that have water doesnt line up with a head gasket, you would think it would just be 1 or 2 constantly, not always a different, but then again, i thought our manifold test was pretty acurate too, and its still leaking.. So im really lost:confused:

hopefully we will get it figured out, not really looking forward to doing a head gasket...

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

matt, have you put coolant in the cooling system yet? if so you can separate out if it is raw cooling water in the cylinder or closed cooling system coolant. even a little dye in the engine cooling water would help. is the cylinders getting water in them all on the same bank of the engine (same side)? If it is I would pull the plugs and pressure up the cooling system and see if any one cylnder pushes water out. one cylinder will swap with another when sitting if the right valves are open. head gasket pretty easy fix while you still have the engines in the stage they are in right now. food for thought, good luck. everything looking awesome keep up the good work. still have not gotten the time to put mine on the water yet this summer. :cool:

parrisw

Ensign

nothing really adds up to a bad head gasket, i was thinking ill do a compression test aswell. the random cylinders that have water doesnt line up with a head gasket, you would think it would just be 1 or 2 constantly, not always a different, but then again, i thought our manifold test was pretty acurate too, and its still leaking.. So im really lost:confused:

hopefully we will get it figured out, not really looking forward to doing a head gasket...

How well did ya check the manifold? Did you check the riser? Could be that too.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 29' Carter Safari Doing a great job!!

Re: 29' Carter Safari Doing a great job!!

Matt you and your buddy are doing an awsome job,:) I bet most parents would wish they had teenage kids as motivated as you 2. I have no doubt if you guys go into business for yourselves in something you like or love to do, you will be successful as a business owner operator for the rest of your life, considering your motivation level. Working for yourself is awsome, I have been doing it for 11 years and would not work a regular job ever again if I can help it.

For now the photo biz we run is very slow due to the economy and realestate slowdowns, but it will come back so we're doing what we can to make due in the mean time.

http://www.lasvegaspix.com (our business website)

the gauge cluster looks phenomonal!!!:D especially the white gauge choice, new wood NICE! that will be an excellent dive/fish boat for the ocean

our project here---> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=340617

vegasphotoman :cool:

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Test manifolds with acetone
here is a link in the mercruiser sticky http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288629
Suggest you post the problem in mercruiser see what don s has to say....head gaskets, look for bubbles in the coolant.
Great work so far! good for you guys!!, see ya I mean HEAR ya on the water!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

well, i got sucked into working all weekend. so no progress yet. Ive been talking to afew guys at the marina, and it seems that the intake manifold is a very common thing to cause the water in the cylinders. My dad was able to pick up that extra exhaust manifold for us, so hopefully we will get that installed on monday, and check the intake manifold aswell, and if all goes well, the starboard engine should be running by the end of monday!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

it was too hot the other day to be messing with the other engine, so we installed a leg instead. got it all hooked up with shifter and everything. Im borrowing a friends hose thing for the legs, so we can run the engine again and make sure everything is working correctly...

P1120171.JPG

P1120172.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.