Counter rotating prop

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gentlemen - you too, Steelspike - I am in need of a quick opinion regarding two issues.

I have finally put together the rig I want at a price I can afford but must move quickly.

The engine is a 225 optimax but lower unit is left hand or counter rotating. I can't imagine that it could make a difference in operation - it is only different. But I could be wrong. I'm also concerned that left hand might present some difficulties regarding repair work should I have a problem. Can't imagine why that would be either but since the question occurred to me and I don't really know I thought I would ask.

Engine comes with aluminum prop. What differences/problems should I take into consideration when compared with ss?

Thanks fellows.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Counter rotating prop

As far as I know the LH rotation is a function of the LU, not the power head. Unless you have a clutch problem or something LU gear related you will not have any problems with repairs.

You will have to look a little harder for a LH prop, but no big deal.

A steel prop will deflect less under load and give you a slightly better performance overall.

Aluminum props are more forgiving in the rockier environments

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Counter rotating prop

Most boats are setup for Clockwise rotation pilot on starboard weight set up to balance prop torque.You may not notice any problem but in the extreme
it could have an annoying list underway.