1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: The First Big Trip.

Re: The First Big Trip.

It was a week on the lake and the boat performed as expected at 5200 ft. The new 4 blade prop lifted the boat nicely and put it on plane with very little effort. The porposing problem is completely gone. I'm totally sold on 4 blade stainless props now!

Top end at 5200 ft above sea level was only 35 mph and that was only achievable if I took the boat out of the water the night before and at 4:00am when the outside temp was around 35 degrees or lower. In the afternoon with the fuel at 70 degrees (lake water temp) and the outside air at 80 + the boat would only run on two cylinders so top end was down to 25 max.

I could have re-jetted and fixed the problem but I may only run at the altitude one more time this year so it's hardly worth the effort.

I'm taking it out this upcomming weekend at 495 ft and I think I should easily hit the 40-45 mph marks.

One other thing that made a lot of difference in the hole shot and rapid planeing was setting the smart tabs at 10 deg max drop vs. the recommended 30 deg. Setting up this way allowed me to change the attitude of the boat with engine trim rather then relying solely on the smart tabs. Being able to use the two methods together made for an incredible ride even in rough water. I am very happy with that solution! While scooting along at about 30mph in two foot chop,my brother said "This thing rides better than your Tahoe".. I'll take that!

Oh, yeah fishing was good, fish were small with the biggest being 3lb @ 21 inches but it's early and they haven't had a chance to fatten up after the winter ice over. We caught 11, smoked 3 and brought 8 home for our friends.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

Man thats sounds fun, and being that high up it sounds like she did great !! too bad the fishing wasnt a little better !! But it still sounds like a great time !! too cool , john

sprintst

Commander

I'm still following along on your thread. I did some reading on the VC performance epoxy and will use the same on mine. I like that fact that it is as tough as nails as I'm hoping for this paint to last as long as the original :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm still following along on your thread. I did some reading on the VC performance epoxy and will use the same on mine. I like that fact that it is as tough as nails as I'm hoping for this paint to last as long as the original :)

It is definitly tough stuff and because of the application process it should outlast the original. Just keep it off the rocks...:)

47pilot

Cadet

Sschefer, I was reading your advice on seat posts in another thread. Which seat posts are you using? I just installed the same exact seats (same color even) and I think my Springfield posts / bases are even the same ones you have (13" and they have a black plastic snap in base with a tab -taper posts,) and swivel can be locked at the top by tightening the lever. They feel solid, other than a slight tinge of side play at the base. They are rated for all speeds. The seats feel like they would be more comfortable if they had a slight more recline, but haven't been on the water with them yet to have much more of an opinion.

How do you like those seats so far, and how are the posts holding up?
BTW, beautiful job on the restoration!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sschefer, I was reading your advice on seat posts in another thread. Which seat posts are you using? I just installed the same exact seats (same color even) and I think my Springfield posts / bases are even the same ones you have (13" and they have a black plastic snap in base with a tab -taper posts,) and swivel can be locked at the top by tightening the lever. They feel solid, other than a slight tinge of side play at the base. They are rated for all speeds. The seats feel like they would be more comfortable if they had a slight more recline, but haven't been on the water with them yet to have much more of an opinion.

How do you like those seats so far, and how are the posts holding up?
BTW, beautiful job on the restoration!

I like the seat posts but you're right, the seats are a bit to upright for my liking. I tried them with the 9" posts which was a better height for my 6'4" frame when driving but too low when spun around and fishing. The 13" posts are better. So far I have no performance issues with them.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Been a while since I updated this so here's the latest. The Mariner 100 is back on the boat just to get me through. I put the Yami on but it was too big and at 59 the boat was chine walking badly. At low speed it plowed heavily. Let that be a lesson, the max hp rating is probably correct. I have worked out a deal to trade the Yami in for a 115 E-Tec. No big loss but a loss none the less.

My original choice was an E-Tec but I got side swiped by my love of 4 stroke motors.

Next pic's will be of the E-Tec or maybe some really cool Pics of a Mariner blowing up.. I kinda got that Myth-Busters thing going on in my mind and they're only an hour away from me.

sprintst

Commander

Looking forward to a video with the E-Tec bolted on and your boat flying across the lake. The E-Tec's have some wild technology in them.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Got the boat back last night with a brand spanking new E-Tec 115 on it. All new gauges and new controls. Still have to put the gauges in and wire them up. It was dark thirty when I finally got her home so maybe some pics later. FYI I only needed to buy the Evinrude Tach but I replaced all my gauges so they match.

The reason I got home so late was because we tanked the mariner 100 and went looking for the problem. I wasn't suprised at all to find everyone just as stumped as I was. We were looking at timing, compression, everything. Exhausted, we decided to drain and refill the lower unit. The mechanic at the shop drained and then put the fill tube in the drain hole and filled it until the lube ran out the fill hole with the vent plug removed. I asked him about doing it that way and he said yeah if you don't it will rattle like heck.... Light bulb........... We all looked at each other and let out a great big Dohhhhhhhh. We fired it up with a wheel on it and let it run for nearly an hour. The problem was gone... So here's the deal as it was explained to me.

The fill hole should be called the full hole. I interpreted it litterally and never took a second look at the manual. But, if you fill at the fill hole with the drain plug in then you'd be using the vent hole to tell when the l/u is full. If you check the amount fluid used you'd find you were over capacity and that doesn't leave enough room for expansion. While nobody seemed to know exactly what the rattling component was we guessed it would be the clutch and to me that makes sense. My 96 Corvette rear end had the same problem when a mechanic forgot to put the anti-foaming additive in it. It would chatter during a sharp turn.

So there it is. The Mariner can now be sold with a clear concience. Yeah !

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I gotta say man, with all the impressive work you've done and your apparent skill at wrenching....I can't believe you didn't know to fill from the lower hole. I know that and I don't know sh!t! Glad you figured it out though and I'm very envious of the etec.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I gotta say man, with all the impressive work you've done and your apparent skill at wrenching....I can't believe you didn't know to fill from the lower hole. I know that and I don't know sh!t! Glad you figured it out though and I'm very envious of the etec.

Yeah I know, talk about being a dork and just doing without thinking. I've never done that before on any of my engines. For the life of me I can't figure out why I did it on this one. To top it off, I did it not once but 5 quarts worth... and I had to change the upper seals and still didn't get it through my thick skull. Doooohhhhh..

Although, I didn't feel all that bad when the guys at the shop were stumped too. It was purely by chance that I caught my mistake. If I'd joined the guys for coffee I'd have missed it and probably repeated it later down the road.

However, all the work I did was not wasted. Sooner or later that sand hole would have blown # 4. The engine has 135lbs of compression on all 4 and is ready to go for they next person. The drawback is that I won't be burning it at the stake.. That would have been cool to watch.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

WOW, first day on the water with the new E-Tec 115 HO.. Although the engine requires no break-in. I was told by the dealer that I shouldn't do a hole shot right out of the gate. So, I ran it around for a few minutes and decided the 4 blade 16 was way to small. I swapped up to a 3 blade 17 and it still had plenty of extra throttle. On went a 19 and it felt really good. On up to a 21 but that was too much.

All that prop swapping consumed a lot of time so I figured it was O.K. to try my first hole shot. Well, let me tell you.. Darn near stood the boat on the transom. I set the trim up where I was used to setting it with the Mariner. The second hole shot I trimmed it flat level and it took off like a rocket. Up on plane is about 3 seconds. I don't now how long it took to hit 45 but it was quick. So I'm flying along at 45 and I throw the rest of the juice at it and cruise right up to 56 on the GPS. This was about where it started chine-walking with the Yami 150. There was no chine walk in fact I was riding on about the last 2-1/2 feet of the hull and smooth as glass.. Well until I hit another boats wake.. This is cool... I hit the first wave and cleared the second. Then engine went into rev-limit and as soon as the prop was back in the water it came right back on. I was a little suprised by it all but managed to regain my composure pretty fast, (once I checked my shorts).

So the verdict is.. E-Tec's are cool. Now here's the rest of the story. My buddy called me last night in a frenzy. He'd seized up his 90hp Merc and wondered if I still had the Mariner. He came by and we swapped them out. He left around two am and we were out on the lake by 7:00am. The Mariner ran great, infact he was keeping up with me until about 45 mph.

So about this point you're probably wondering if I consider my boat done.. ROFLOL. Hell no, I'm just getting started. All it takes is one great day to get back on track.. NB knows what that's all about don't ya!

sprintst

Commander

I told you the E-Tecs are sick. If my boat was an outboard would be no other choice. I have shares in Bombardier. If they can make jets and turbine driven trains then they should be able to get a sick outboard right :)

Keep in going man...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I told you the E-Tecs are sick. If my boat was an outboard would be no other choice. I have shares in Bombardier. If they can make jets and turbine driven trains then they should be able to get a sick outboard right :)

Keep in going man...

Man, you nailed it. This thing is wild (aka sick). I totally did not expect it to sense over rev but the way it recovered was absolutely amazing. I was way to busy to be messing with a camera today but I'll have my buddy take some next time we go.

I'll bet a lot of folks don't know about the prop program Evinrude has for the E-Tecs. You don't just order it with a prop you try props until you find the right one and they you buy it.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Sounds fun (if not scary!) flying through the air, nice to have a rev limiter!
I doubt my mercruiser sterndrive has one of those! hard to catch air with a heavy boat like mine .....
56mph is humpin........ sweeeeet.......

sprintst

Commander

Sorry about going back so many pages but I appreciate you paint work even more.

How did the NE2000 go down. Mine isn't glass but it's just a primer so I can't expect much. Did the Ne2000 eat the rollers at the same rate as the VC performance epoxy or was the VC faster.

I was also wondering if the VC hides any slight imperfections or magnifies them.

Soo many questions...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sorry about going back so many pages but I appreciate you paint work even more.

How did the NE2000 go down. Mine isn't glass but it's just a primer so I can't expect much. Did the Ne2000 eat the rollers at the same rate as the VC performance epoxy or was the VC faster.

I was also wondering if the VC hides any slight imperfections or magnifies them.

Soo many questions...

No problem with the questions - The NE2000 will eat rollers but not as bad as a 1-1 mix like the VC. The NE2000 is a barrier coat primer and should be thick so no, smooth like glass is not in the vocabulary anymore. You can put on extra coats and then sand it. I didn't.

The VC is not a high gloss paint. So yes it will hide a lot of the imperfections. The patch on my bow is a testament to that. Most people don't even see it until I show them.

The best finish with VC will be sprayed. It is semi translucent and it will take at least 4 coats to cover the dark primer underneath. Spraying will accomplish this much sooner and is the preferred method but rolling works fine just don't expect to roll and tip until the final coat.

sprintst

Commander

Excellent. Thanks again.

I'll pickup more rollers and know what to expect now :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hey, who said I was finished with this thing anyway... !!! I got the lettering and put it on in between the rain tonight. What do ya'll think?

Re - Manufacturer name - Just in case you noticed, that is the Mariner back on it. I have it for sale and needed to be able to run it for a possible buyer.

new005.jpg

And Model -

new003.jpg

From the other side -
new006.jpg