1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS

You had to be smiling from ear to ear after parking the truck then taking that walk down to the ramp and seeing your hard work sitting in the water.

Sorry to hear about the jack plate. I know you will have a new home for it in the near future. I was considering a jack plate for mine. Maybe I will run into the same problem you did. Let me know if you need that engine stand. Stay diligent.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ker Splash... This was running at about 20mph near top speed for the day..
Notice the engine, I'm actually off the trim and into the tilt at this point becasue of the trim tabs being way to stiff.
SNC00064.jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You had to be smiling from ear to ear after parking the truck then taking that walk down to the ramp and seeing your hard work sitting in the water.

Sorry to hear about the jack plate. I know you will have a new home for it in the near future. I was considering a jack plate for mine. Maybe I will run into the same problem you did. Let me know if you need that engine stand. Stay diligent.

Actually, yes.. But the best were the folks that had been out fishing all day who asked if I was a Pro and where the fish were. I had to tell the truth, "No, I'm not a pro, I just have pro tools".

Won't need the engine stand back, I'll just lift it on the hoist, pull that Jack Plate and then bolt it back up. It's all the wiring I have to change under the splash well that I dread doing. If you know of anyone with a Bass Boat that needs a CMC PL65 Jack Plate for up to a 350 hp motor let me know. I'll let it go for 500.00 with the gauge

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Actually, yes.. But the best were the folks that had been out fishing all day who asked if I was a Pro and where the fish were. I had to tell the truth, "No, I'm not a pro, I just have pro tools".

Won't need the engine stand back, I'll just lift it on the hoist, pull that Jack Plate and then bolt it back up. It's all the wiring I have to change under the splash well that I dread doing. If you know of anyone with a Bass Boat that needs a CMC PL65 Jack Plate for up to a 350 hp motor let me know. I'll let it go for 500.00 with the gauge and bolt set.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So, after the first run at the lake with the engine performing substandard I got into it yesterday and did some basic tests and adjustments.

I found I could lean it out but I couldn't get an over rich miss like I should have. After futzing with it for a couple of hours in the tub, besides being soaking wet from prop wash, I was pretty darn frustrated. It just kept getting worse and worse.

This morning I put a post over in the Merc/Mariner forum and ended up answering the question myself. Seems when you write something down and then read it, a light goes on.

I tore the engine down to the bare powerhead and pulled the injectors on 3 & 4. Both were plugged. I found another 1/8 inlet inline filter comming off the accelerator pump and it was full of gunk. I pulled all the fuel lines and let some oil out of the oil tank and ran it between my fingers and it seemed O.K. There was no doubt that there was dirt in the fuel system and a lot more than normal. I took apart the accelerator pump and it had dirt in it so I got to thinking and a light went on. More like the dummy light than anything brilliant mind you.

I realized that I had taken out the inline fuel filter because I had the Racor in it now but what I forgot was that the oil would now be unfiltered and that's where the problem was. There was a bunch of dirt in the oil tank and all my hard work rebuilding carbs was down the tubes.

So, those of you who are reading this and have engines with oil injection tanks, don't take out that inline filter just after the fuel pump just because you put in a fancy canister fuel filter. That little inline filter is still needed to filter dirt from the oil tank.

So anyway, my evenings next week will be spent cleaning and purging all the oil out of the system, rebuilding the carbs, fuel pump, accelerator pump and anything else in the fuel systems.

I'll post an update to this when I have her running again next weekend.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That sucks of course but at least you found the problem. And it's a labor problem not a $$$$$ problem.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that sucks schef, I know it's not the 1st time you've been disappointed, but there is good news. Now you know what the problem is and have new data to add to the ever growing rolodex of knowledge. The other good news is, you have the skill to fix it yourself. Lot of us out there, would be lost and coughin' up more $$$ to have someone else fix it. Sounds like this was just one of the bumps in the road that was bound to happen. Next stop, smooth runnin'. Just lookin' at the positives.

I'm interest in the jack plate, but sounds like I'd run into the same problem. Not to mention, I'm 6 months (at best) away from needing one. Just my luck. When and if I do need one there will be no deals to be had. I'll ask around. You should be able to move that in no time flat.

Stay diligent, and sometimes take a deep breath and walk away for awhile.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Mark, I left the jack plate on it and reset the smart tabs instead. I think they were the cause of the problem not the depth of the engine.

Fuel line problem has another twist. The fuel line that was hidden under the oil tank was replaced at some time with windshield washer hose. Running my hand over the hose turned it black and I think the inside was breaking down. The return line was completely clogged. When I blew air through (or tried to) it took a few tries before something blew out and shot accross the drive way. Never did find whatever it was.

So.... I'll just do like I always do and replace everything and we should be back in business. I may also replace the petals in the reed blocks just because I have it that far torn down right now.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More good news again......see! You are a true boat detective.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hey, guess what? It wasn't the gas that ate away he injector tubing it was the Sea Foam/Gas decarb mix that did it. If the lines would have been fuel rated it wouldn't have been a problem.

This morning before I left for work I put a piece of the original fuel line in a cup of raw gas and one with the decarb mix. When I went home for lunch the hose with the decarb mix was already starting to break down. The rubber on the outside was melting away and when wiped with a rag it turned the rag black. The other hose in raw gas was fine.

So, at this point, I hereby conclude the problem was the jerk that put windshield washer hose on the injectors because it was the only thing he could find that was that small!

Humm, I wonder if it's worth the trip (50 miles) to tell the guy that did this just how wonderfull he is, (in my minds eye). You see, I have receipts that he has signed.

Nah, let it go........

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, not worth it. More agro' than you need. It would probably end bad anyway.

Damaging evidence. Case closed. Brilliant investigative work. For the guilty party, I would say the sentence will be a lifetime of bad karma.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Well, you all can tell by my posts that I'm never happy with an answer unless it is totaly conclusive. I took some of the old gas that was in the boat when I drained the tank and had it tested. It had Ethanol in it which I sort of suspected. I was having a hard time believing that the Sea Foam could be that distructive if it's been around as long as it has.

The people that did the test confirmed that this type of fuel line breakdown was consistent with what they see with other Ethanol problems and pre 1992 fuel lines. I exlplained that I had stored the engine without fuel in the lines for approximately 5 months and they told me that the particles that I had in my injector filter were most likely from flaking of the dried out decomposing hoses.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

For those of you doubting Thomas's that think I'm out of my mind about injectors on a carb'd engine.

SNC00002-2.jpg

Standing back for a full perspective.

SNC00003.jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It was a beautiful day on the lake today! The engine ran perfect. I reset my Smart Tabs so on the center setting they are dead level with the bottom of the boat. The first run out I porposed at about 30mph so I kicked up one notch higher and it was perfect. At about 35mph the prop started to cavitate again but I carefully pushed it on up to 40 and then backed it off and ran around the rest of the day at 30 mph or less.

The boat ran perfect other than the cavitation so I've ordered a new 13 1/8 x 16, 4 blade Stilletto Bay Runner. I had straightened the old prop myself so this cavitation problem is not something I didn't expect might occur.

What makes me mad is that I spent a lot of time sanding that old prop and making it pretty. In less then 15 minutes the dang cavitation did a better job than I did. The prop looks like polished aluminum. O.K. we'll maybe it was the multiple hole shots I did that helped a little. Hey, I was having fun.

I ran the trolling motor and batteries through the test by trolling for about 2 hours then working the banks of the lake hunting down bass for another two hours. No problems at all. The two group 27 batteries never dropped below 12.3 volts each. They stayed perfectly balanced even though I was blasting the stereo and running the sonar and gps off the first battery.

And finally, there still was not a single drop of water in the bilge. Not even splash water. There's your testament to GluVit and a good barrier coat bottom paint like Interlux VC performance.

Speaking of slippery bottoms. The ramp was kind of clogged up when I was pulling my boat out so I didn't get the boat set right on the bunks. No problem. The bottom is so slippery that I just grabbed the corner of the boat, gave it yank and it slid right into place.

All in all a very gratefying day. Just knowing that I actually found and fixed the engine problem was a huge relief. Now I can use it this season and then part with it knowing the next person won't be dissapointed.

My next post will be the new prop report but it will be a few weeks. The new prop will be here on the 16th and I leave for my annual giant trout hunting trip the following weekend. That lake is at 5200 feet so it won't be a valid test for the prop. I won't get back on a sea level lake until after I get back and I'll give it a good testing then.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad you got all the bugs worked out. And it sounds like everything is finished in time for you to take your boat on vacation!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Glad you got all the bugs worked out. And it sounds like everything is finished in time for you to take your boat on vacation!

Thanks, man do I have the itch!!!. The next two weeks at work are going to be H E double toothpicks. I leave on Saturday the 20th.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're in the fine tuning stage. I know a lot of people like restoring boat after boat, but I can't wait for the day that I'm fine tuning and fishing. Enjoy the trip Steve.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You're in the fine tuning stage. I know a lot of people like restoring boat after boat, but I can't wait for the day that I'm fine tuning and fishing. Enjoy the trip Steve.

Thanks Mark, I odered the new Stilleto 4 blade and a 3 blade 15 for up at Eagle Lake. At 5200 feet I either have to re-jet or drop 2 inches of pitch. It's much easier to change a prop. Both are supposed to ship out tomorrow.

Last night I finally got back to my punch list. I dialed in the hydraulic steering by centering the ram on the engine and did a final bleed. Man I have to tell you that Sea Star Pro system is the cats meow. A lot of people complain about hydraulic drift with the Bay Star's but there is none with my Sea Star and absolutely no feed back. I even centered up the trim tab on the engine just to see if I even needed it now and I don't.

The ride and driveability of this boat are a lot better than I expected even with its narrow 78" beam.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent. I'm trying to build a similar machine, so you know I got to bend your ear more about that steering as I get closer to it. I might have to go hydraulic with a review like that.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS (Update)

Re: 1991 MonArk Legend 1800 FS (Update)

While I was waiting for the new prop, I figured I'd test the L/U so I ran a pressure test. Darn good thing I did because and it wouldn't hold a pound of air and there was more than an acceptable amount of water in the L/U. To me, acceptable is none.

O.K. so why not just rebuild the L/U, and so I did. I ordered a complete seal kit and it got here yesterday. I drained the water and lube out and pre cleaned the gear case with Mineral Spirits. That washed out the gunk and made disassembly a breeze. I started at 5:30 pm last night and was done with the L/U back on by 9:30pm. The gears, lugs, clutches and springs were all good so I just replaced the seals. All said and done, it now holds 12 lbs for 5 minutes and longer.

The only tools that might be considered special are a slide hammer and dial guage. You definitly want to check the runout on the drive shaft and the prop shaft. If they're bad you must replace them.

Oh.. the new prop is on and looks cool. Boat looks like I could pull a house down with it.