1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

Oops! Dont know how the R got in there :p
Those decals arnt even close to the ones on my motor. Here is a picture I just took, this is the worst side that has the most scratches. I guess I am just being picky, but wouldnt mind repainting the foot at least, just dont want two different shades of white :redface:
I should have taken a picture with the cowl off, motor and area is so clean you could eat off of it :D
PS
See the skeg damage, not that bad I guess, was done the FIRST year he bought it so I guess it has stood up to the tests of time.
PPS For all you people thinking on buying a new motor, dont freakin lay it down in your boat or in your truck bed, this is what happens:cool: Dont know how someone could do that :( But it aint that bad! :D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK!

Server is being a bit handycapped saying i am trying to attach 7 pictures but I am only attaching 1 lol... I will try with a new post by adding a picture to see if this works

dscf0315x.jpg

jasper60103

Commander

Hey guys :)

...Is there an optional electric start for my motor? If so, how would one go about finding one, and is it a big P.I.T.A to install yet even find a "kit" if there is one for my motor at all?

Also, what about OEM or very close to it, crowl decals if I decide to paint it all?

For electric start, you have to change the fly wheel on that model year. New electric start kit is $645.

jbjennings

Captain

Dang it, I want to hear how well it runs before I start talkin' decals!:cool:

Was that Nana's decals on ebay mentioned?
JBJ

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang it, I want to hear how well it runs before I start talkin' decals!:cool:

Was that Nana's decals on ebay mentioned?
JBJ

Ran just fine when I tested it, just never peed water, went in both gears and spun the prop fine, I am sure she works good new, I am confident I did a good job :cool: BUT we shall see, and ya dang it.. I am anxious to hear her run again myself. But that heavy bugger is sitting in my spare room, second level of a 4 plex and it is a chore luggin that up and down the stairs and into the backyard I tell ya! ;)

ETA:
Not sure I know what you ment by the decals on ebay, but I looked and could not find any, asked the seller if he had a set of 20's in my year and said nope.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the mean time ;) if anyone has or knows of a good used starter kit for my motor for a reasonable price, please do let me know :cool:

ETA: Also need the pin for the transom bracket holes to adjust, he some how miss placed it :cool:

bradmond

Cadet

Not sure if you checked it but I also bought a 20hp and at first test the pee hole just dribbled. I changed the pump as it needed it anyway but it still just dribbled. There was a tiny rock or something right at the exit of the water line, took the line off the block and with one blow in the exit, it's clear and flowing good. I also added e start from parts on eBay and sure like it. It does start fairly easy with the rope but really easy with a key. I'm running this one on a 12' Smokercraft and seems just perfect. Used it one time so far and it really goes good.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure if you checked it but I also bought a 20hp and at first test the pee hole just dribbled. I changed the pump as it needed it anyway but it still just dribbled. There was a tiny rock or something right at the exit of the water line, took the line off the block and with one blow in the exit, it's clear and flowing good. I also added e start from parts on eBay and sure like it. It does start fairly easy with the rope but really easy with a key. I'm running this one on a 12' Smokercraft and seems just perfect. Used it one time so far and it really goes good.

Yes, taking the hose off of the power head and blowing into it, air came out the other end well. That was the first thing I did when I noticed :D"This was the ORIGINAL impeller!, his story is true because I did the job myself and there was not a single chip of paint on the brass coupling linkage to connect the shift upper and lower rods!". The impeller was toast, every fin had lots of cracking in it and the blades took form, appeared to have briefly run out of water as you can tell by the pics if you have been following this thread. I hope that is all it was, cant see it being anything else, needless to say, I have an entire new pump kit in it and O rings and new housing and cup. Should be firing her up in the next little while when the weather stays decent.

You have the same motor as me? 89? On a 12ft eh, no doubt... Have you seen the pictures of my boat in this thread? So I guess I should need not to worry, some how I think I have to much motor for what I really intend on using it for, but I guess I wont know till I try!

bradmond

Cadet

Take the line off the motor and blow from the exit to make sure nothing is blocking it, that worked for me. You will be fine with that motor on your boat, I'm 100% sure of it. Mine is an 1985 and so far it's perfect on my 12 alaskan, idles good for trolling better than I expected. I'm going fishing tomorrow and I'll try to take some video and record top speed with my GPS. Last time out it max'd out at 5520 RPM with my Tiny Tach so I think I have the right prop, a 13 pitch.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool.

Like I said, I took the hose off and blew through it already, was the first thing I checked before replacing the entire pump :)

Well I was delighted today, beautiful day out here, snow melting so I was out eyeballing the trailer seeing how I am going to do these bunks, and I checked out my boat closer, and its not 10kw it is rated for, it is 18! WOOT! so that means it can handle a 25HP motor. Good to go! :D
Ya, take a video, I gotta see this 20 on a 12 footer!
Tight Lines!
PS
Just found out that this building has anti cracking water pipes, so I am going to try to find my muffs and fire up this bad boy and see how she goes when I get a chance :)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Things are looking up :)

The predominant black on the decals on your motor look like a 1990. I really like the "Made in Canada" decal on the transon bracket :D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Things are looking up :)

The predominant black on the decals on your motor look like a 1990. I really like the "Made in Canada" decal on the transon bracket :D

Hmm.. well according to the model# it is an 89. But he did buy it brand new in 1990 as a last year's model is what he told me:confused:
Bring in spring! :p

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys,

Quick question, figured I would ask in here instead of making a new thread. Is my motor capable of charging a battery while running? If so, how would I go about hooking that all together? I am eyeing out a new AGM deep cycle battery for my boat, and if I could get away with having it put a charge into the battery while the motor is running, that would save me lugging it out of the boat and back home to recharge it.
Appreciated! :)

jbjennings

Captain

If your motor is electric start then it should have a charging circuit. If you hook up your electric start wires to the battery so that it will crank, then it should also charge the battery (or at least maintain the charge). If your motor is not electric start, then no, it won't.
JBJ

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Naw it is just rope start. It has CDI ignition I believe, I thought that it was just a case of taking the postive and negative leads from something in that area and running them to the battery?
Ah well, thanks anyways JBJ for your quick advice. This AGM battery I am looking at buying is rather costly.. it is a Nautilus spiral grid deep cycle battery.

Is this a good battery for the money? I was in town today and was checking it out, it is very light compared to all the others, which is a BIG need for me if I am going to be taking it in and out of the boat!
Here is a link, I am not very educated with batteries so perhaps you folks could take a quick look at the specs and let me know if this will be good for me. There will be a 30lb thrust minn kota trolling motor and a fish finder running off of it if I get it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...03490P/Nautilus%2BSpiral%2BGrid%2BBattery.jsp

bradmond

Cadet

Your motor will not charge as it is. You can add a charge coil under the flywheel and a rectifier but it only puts out 4 amps. The voltage is unregulated so the voltage goes up to about 17 volts at higher rpm's. The battery your are considering does not do well with charge voltage that high, if you plan on adding a charge coil you would be better off with a maintenance type battery.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah. Now that makes sense to me :) thanks.

I guess that would be way to much trouble for the end result then. What about this battery? Think it will serve me well? Reason I am going AGM is that I heard vibration will ruin maintence batteries, where AGM and Gel batteries are designed to take vibration with out hurting the unit, plus they are much lighter, sealed, no maintence required.

Just wondering about the specs though. For the money, is this a good battery?
I guess it would be hard to get opinions as this is a Canadian battery and most likely not in the USA "where most members on here live :D"