1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

"read post 200 for my update"

All of the motors I am watching mist water from those ports, mine is surely not misting, more like leaving a water tap on but not full blast... sound like my thermostat is stuck guys? worried because I do not want to cause any damage to the motor, and I am certain that it is the original seeing that the water pump was original before I replaced it :confused:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bump :redface:

Would appreciate some quick advice if at all possible, driving into town early in the morning and could pick up a new one if indeed it sounds shot;)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess I will bite the bullet and go with my gut as it is usually right and buy a new thermostat tomorrow and hope they have one in stock "hour drive for me into town"

But if anyone in the know about the cooling of this motor, please read post #200 as I added some more info that I had forgotten to add earlier.

Thanks

jasper60103

Commander

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, but it sounds like you come a long way. I have a few issues of my own, LOL. Don't forget the tstat gasket and cylinder head cover gasket.

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your reply. I do have a manual for it, well it is .PDF and covers so many motors and is not very detailed to my exact motor. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

The seloc manuals are very frustrating, the manuals on CD are difficult to navigate and they are just scanned seloc's. Junk .

The factory manual isn't cheap cheap but its worth twice the price.
www.outboardbooks.com

You'll never look back.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Here is what the water flow path looks like.

Your head temperature should be 145 degrees if the thermostat is working ok. But a thermostat that has been in there since 1989 probably needs replaced.

Attachments

• Cooling Water.jpg
    Cooling Water.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, but it sounds like you come a long way. I have a few issues of my own, LOL. Don't forget the tstat gasket and cylinder head cover gasket.

Oh I have come a long way :D almost never ending but I am almost there!!!

Why would I need a cylinder head gasket? It is only a few bolts that holds the thermostat cap on which is separate from the cylinder head?

They never had the Johnson thermostat kit in stock, ordered it and should be here friday or monday at the latest. I have a strong feeling that it is pooched, either way it is 21 years old and needs to be replaced anyway right? The water coming out of the pee hole and exhaust baffle is always cold, it must be stuck open is all I can think. Going to go outside and see about getting the old one out now. I got the thermostat kit,which includes the rubber ring.

"Crosses fingers" I just feel that it is not right, I wished I had a temp gun to see what the cylinders are running at temp wise. I know it cant be anywhere near 145 as I can keep my hand on each one of them for ever with out my hands getting hot what so ever "running very very cool/very luck warm"

Thanks guys! And I might just snag that Johnson manual up!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The body temperature is 98.6 unless there are other issues....... So your hand should rest comfortably on 145 deg.,,,,just 47deg. higher.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The body temperature is 98.6 unless there are other issues....... So your hand should rest comfortably on 145 deg.,,,,just 47deg. higher.

True,

But the water coming out is "cold" even after running the motor for a while. Well CRAP, I thought the thermostat housing was one piece apart from the cylinder head, I see I am going to have to take the whole cylinder head off now to get at the thermostat:eek: while inspecting, I noticed a few rips on the gasket/pieces missing in places that have been torn threw the years:eek:

This is going to be a hard job huh? now I am all worried, I guess I should have taken a better look, but what I read last night told me it was only 4bolts I needed to remove :redface: I was tired, perhaps I was looking at the wrong year motor...

Can any of you pro's walk this guy through what I need to do? Torque specs, anything I need to be careful of etc. The head gasket IS the original for sure as it has the engine blocks paint over it on the edges of the gasket.
Also curious, does my motor have a temp alarm/buzzer? I do know it is SLOW enabled as it says so in my owners manual. This crappy .pdf seloc manual is junk, and I am in Canada so it will be a while until I can get a good manual. I am capable of taking the head off, no problem there.. Do I need to worry about snapping bolts?

Please forgive me fellas and if you could be so kind as to walk me through the steps that I might not know that would be great "yes I understand when it comes to putting the bolts back on, to do them not one after the other side by side but chris cross pattern :) Ah, I am rather worried as I dont know I am going to get my torque wrench on the bottom cylinder's bolts :confused:

Thanks for all the help! Love this place :)

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a water jacket cover, not the cyl head, that covers up the thermostat. It has a gasket that'll need to be replaced and some sealant applied to the new gasket. Careful with those bolts, they corrode pretty easily! I think there are 6-8 bolts that hold it in place, smaller and thinner than the cyl head bolts.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a water jacket cover, not the cyl head, that covers up the thermostat. It has a gasket that'll need to be replaced and some sealant applied to the new gasket. Careful with those bolts, they corrode pretty easily! I think there are 6-8 bolts that hold it in place, smaller and thinner than the cyl head bolts.

really? I was just out there and had the hood off and from what I saw the thermostat cover is all one piece with the cylinder head? Ok, now you have piqued my interest, I am going to have another look. What kind of sealant do I use?
Thanks, going out to see now!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Blimp is right.
And you can go to a auto parts store and get gasket material. Remove the old gasket with a razor blade and trace it out on new gasket material.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guy's I am confused here lol :p

I just went outside again and looked at the spot where the thermostat is, I do not see a way of getting to it unless removing the very top plate "exposing the pistons etc" "is this called the water jacket plate, the very top of the cylinder head where there are 13-14 bolts?" If not, would someone happen to have an image and could possibly mark what bolts and where this piece comes off? Because I see no way of getting at the thermostat with out removing the very top plate?? Forgive me "yes I know I know, get a REAL manual" and I am still new to outboards but I have managed to do all the work on this motor so far all by myself "with the help of you folks :D" I have NEVER been down this path before, and the little buldge on the top cylinder where the thermostat is, I do not see that as being a single piece from the whole top plate"of if this top plate is called the water jacket?"

:redface:

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I just looked up what a water jacket gasket looks like, this is the very top piece I need to remove exposing the pistons, which is what I initially thought after seeing it today... damn :( on a positive note. This gasket has a few pieces missing on the edge in places.... What kind of trouble am I in for here fellas? "this motor has never been in salt water"

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

ok here is a pic....

Attachments

• 3=.jpg
    3=.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

its not too bad, and that cover will not expose the pistons , just the cooling passages that regulate the temp of the head. the larger bolts on the outside are for removing the head.

if it has never seen salt water, the bolts should not be too bad at all. just take your time, use penetrating fluid and, if needed, a little heat.

gasket is part #49 here:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1989/J20ELCEM 1989/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html

it may be a bit difficult to trace, i would buy one already cut. I used 'yamabond' for gasket sealer, but generic gasket sealer from autoparts store should work. If you leave out the sealer, you will leak water past the gasket...

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most appreciated! thank you guys!

Do you know the torq specs for those bolts fellas? or is spark plug tight fine? "dont think I will be able to get my torq wrench on a few of em.

And about the sealant, do I put some on the base and smear it then put the gasket on top of the sealant and smear some on the base of the top plate and then sandwich it back on? "Just want to make double sure here as I have never done something like this to an outboard before.

I am curious. Is the Johnson manual this specific with thing's like this?

Thank you again! Ever in Ontario I will buy ya a beer :D

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

60-84 inch pounds......not foot pounds.

Heck take me fishing up there, I'll bring the brew:D

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

60-84 inch pounds......not foot pounds.

Heck take me fishing up there, I'll bring the brew:D

Come on up bud! I live in fishing paradise "surrounded by over 70 lakes and the species are endless!"

60-84 inch pounds, that is quite a gap? so 70 then? I gotta go check my old mans torq wrench when he gets home to even see if it does inch pounds:eek: what about the sealant? how do I apply that the proper way if you don't mind explaining

Cheers!