Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Was wondering how you are liking your humminbird 587? I'm not really familiar with fishfinders in general. Seems like you can spend a boat load of money pretty easily. The 587 seems reasonable for the features. Any regrets? Is it easy to use? Thanks.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Was wondering how you are liking your humminbird 587? I'm not really familiar with fishfinders in general. Seems like you can spend a boat load of money pretty easily. The 587 seems reasonable for the features. Any regrets? Is it easy to use? Thanks.

I really like it so far. Granted, Ive only used it twice, but the sonar is great and the imaging is silly good. Very easy to install and use. Plus, its made in the good ole USA.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, will keep it on my watch list.

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

PMC, congrats on your SN! It took me some time (I read slow) to get through, but I finally finished your thread. Really enjoyed the details of your craftsmanship. Some great ideas in here.

That gulf coast trip with the fam looked like a lot of fun. Wish the ocean was closer to me for instances like that. Glad the boat is working out! Also, helluva red on the fly rod. Reel sweet!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

PMC, congrats on your SN! It took me some time (I read slow) to get through, but I finally finished your thread. Really enjoyed the details of your craftsmanship. Some great ideas in here.

That gulf coast trip with the fam looked like a lot of fun. Wish the ocean was closer to me for instances like that. Glad the boat is working out! Also, helluva red on the fly rod. Reel sweet!

Hey bud, thanks for the kind words. Sorry for the delayed reply. Really looking forward to my first "full season" with the boat. I haven't been on here as much lately since its the dead of winter and I don't have an active project right now... I am not done, though, and as soon as the financial worm turns (if ever), I have a couple of ideas for my next project.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey buddy. I just thought I'd come clean on something.

I was staring at your boat's butt this morning...
SN_splashwell.jpg

You prolly know what I'm thinking too:rolleyes:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Been awhile since I've had any boat-related progress to report.

My trailer has been bugging me for awhile... As some of you may recall, I had an issue with the Bunks wanting to play tricks on me when trailering the boat:

Plus, a lot of the bolts and hardware under there were seriously corroded and compromised (the original bunks were made with pressure treated lumber). As expected the wood help up nicely, but it accelerated the corrosion of the hardware and it caused some pitting on the bottom of my boat. So, I went with non PT covered in spar-urethane. You can see where I routed the sides for a bit of a custom fit on the underside. I also did a small round-over edge with the router on the top sides to make it easier to install the carpet and to be less of hard angle when trailering the boat (which could also wear and tear the carpet):

The finished product:

We had some great "spring like" weather yesterday and I got to enjoy the boat. Temps dropped more than 50 degrees overnight and I woke up to ice on my car and snow flurries... Nothing quite like Mississippi weather contrasts in early March.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Great work on the Trailer. Tell me about the Weather!!!! It was 4? in Okieland this morning -10? windchill with 1/4" of ice and 4" of Snow!!! But...Gunna be in the High 60's this weekend. Gotta luv it!!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Mucho bueno! Me likey and your hull will definitely appreciate the loving kindness you are giving it...:cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

12 below zero this morning:hopelessness::smow:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the trailer rehab ! Will the pt leach through the carpet to pit the hull? If so ,smart that you replaced it ...;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Looks great, what kind f carpet did you use?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man, I hate that super frigid weather for my iboats brethren up north. I was grumpy this morning when it was 25 degrees. Our summers are brutal though, so our turn is coming.

Sam, on the bunks, it did in fact appear that the PT wood leached through the carpet and caused some problems. There are little runways of corrosion pits right in line with my bunks. That could be from salt sitting in the bunks, but I don't think so, because the boat has only been in salt water once and was thoroughly rinsed and the pitting looks old.

H2O - i just used outdoor-grade carpet from Lowe's - It was super cheap and pretty durable. I got a 4 * 12 foot section for about 30 bucks.

I also highly recommend the "Stanley" electronic staple gun (from Wally World) if you don't have a pneumatic one. Man, it made hammering out those staples super easy. It was surprisingly powerful.

el-cap-pee-ton

Recruit

Wow! Very nice! Just read the whole thing and it really motivated me to get started on my 91 180 Pro AM.

Decker83

Commander

Very nice looking bunks..:kiwi-fruit:

It was 82 here in Dallas on Saturday and Sunday we had rain and ice. Went to 16 on Monday morning..

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Looks good P! Your boat's "bottom" thanks you! :thumb: