• Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Totally cool trip P...I see lots of smiles! :D

Your mechanic must've found/fixed an obvious smoking gun for you to have that much confidence in it! Awesome!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Totally cool trip P...I see lots of smiles! :D

Your mechanic must've found/fixed an obvious smoking gun for you to have that much confidence in it! Awesome!

Thanks, yeah, it was the starter solenoid. I bought a new starting battery as well, and ran the boat on my home lake for about 3 hours the day before we left for the trip, so that gave me the confidence to take it out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice! Step out of your room and right into your boat ready to go! Youngones looking for buried treasure having a blast ! That's what it's all about ! No legal reds ? Man those are some good eatin !

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to hear everything went well, I'm expecting some learning pains myself (one day...).

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Nice way to bounce back. Looks like all had a good time.

Trooper82

Commander

Glad you all had an enjoyable trip, looks like it was alot of fun!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

SweeeeT!!!
Looks like a good time was had by all...Congrats!, you have earned many wonderful times like this!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

LQQKING Good :) Congrats, this is just the beginning to lots o fun :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

The summer of 13 shakedown would make a great movie. Amazing all of the things that pop up, we've all had our share of them although most hide the blunders! I see those little misadventures as memorable later on after spending the money on the fixes and repairs. Looking at the beach pics, I always disliked seeing my little SN look like a dingy compared to the other guys boats. Big boat envy is a bad thing until you start restoring them and then it's good to have a little less boat.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Been out of pocket for a bit and haven't done much "internetting" at least not the computer type :D LOL ....Nice trip! You are running in my stomping grounds (waters?) there at Robinson's Island. First time I got on a sand bar was just across the water from that little island, just plowed my way through, so I know what you are saying about the drastic depth changes. I thought it looked familiar in your first pictures, but when I saw "Alabama Pass", I said "yep, been there" It's a lot more fun when all the extra boat traffic dies down after labor day. Did you guys go to Lulu's by boat? That is one of our favorite things to do.

Last edited:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys for the kind words... Yes, it was a great trip.

S.P. - I did not catch any legal reds - the one that broke off would have been over the slot, and the little dinkers were way under. My favorite fish to eat, so I'll get after 'em another time.

Casey: I knew you would recognize the area. I actually thought about you when I was posting up the pics. Yes, the whole area was super crowded, so it was a bit nerve racking.... I do love that island, though, when the water is clear and the boat traffic is light...

Watermann: Funny story, I was talking to the guy next to me (the really nice boat with the twin 250s) and we struck up a good conversation (like most conversations in the South, turns out I knew his brother). He asked, "Are all of those your kids." and I said, "yep." He said, "Man, I don't see how yall do that... " And I said, "that's why you've got a bigger boat than me." So yeah, its hard not to have boat envy down there, when people are passing by in intrepids, freemans, contenders, etc.. But, we had a good time, nonetheless.

Latest issue: I put my motor on muffs when I got back to my house, and it almost instantly overheated. The remote buzzer didn't go off (which is concerning) and my temp gauge is presently not reading (not sure why), but it was no doubt an overheat. The heads were almost too hot to touch and the water coming out of the exhaust relief was uncomfortably hot. The muffs are a really nice set of flush muffs from West Marine and they were on there good. I don't think water intake was the problem (especially since water was circulating and coming out hot, and also because my water pump and impeller are brand new). I have heard that there are small ports on the t-stat that can get clogged up easily with sand, etc.., so I'm think it might be the T-stat not opening and the water just recirculating in there getting hotter and hotter. What I do know is that this will be the last money I sink into this old motor. If one more thing goes wrong, it will be a new anchor...

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For your buzzer check to be sure your grounds to the engine are not melted out. An OB mechanic told me that once they over heat they can melt and then not function properly.

Don't know if there is any truth behind that but worth a check anyhow, ya know.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dag nab it, motor gremlins strike again

Best of luck diagnosing the problem, I hate it when good motors go bad. Would hate to see you use it as a boat anchor even more :watermelon:

Have a good weekend...

classiccat

oh boy. I didn't think that a t-stat would cause an overheat condition so quickly...but if a large pocket of air developed from a clogged port, I guess it could happen. I have a v4 cooling circuit stashed away somewhere...see if anything else jumps out.

I personally would still drop the LU and inspect the water pump...maybe the impeller was trashed from sand and a piece traveled-up blocking circulation to some parts of the head??

classiccat

regarding the warning horn...maybe it didn't quite reach the boiling point...thanks to your super-fast reflexes!

test the buzzer by grounding the tan terminal (with the ignition switch "on" so accessories are working).

I don't know of a slick way to test the switch itself without pulling the cylinder heads and heating-it-up.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Your probably on the right track with a stat but there are 2 and both are jammed? That sort of thing happens even to new motors so I would give the ole 90 a pass on this one. Pull stat covers, back flush and see if there's any blockage.

At full temp 140 degree water is not comfortable to put your hand in and scalds in seconds. Odd the temp gauge just goes out and engine over heats. Maybe the SN is telling you she doesn't like the taste of salt water.:confused:

So how about that tell tale?

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys; The temp gauge has never worked.... I bought the teleflex kit with the sender bolted on to the head with a z-clip... It worked for a day or so (i.e. it was reading my 100 temp in the garage, but it went out after a few days).

I have not installed a tell-tale yet (my old motor did not have one factory - that was going to be a project for this winter.

I'm going to go ahead and drop the L.U. and check out the impeller. Assuming it looks good, I'm going to run it without the stat and see if runs at correct temps. Once I get this issue resolved (hopefully), then I will invest the money in new stat(s) {my manual does not indicate more than one]; the tell-tale kit and buy another teleflex temp gauge.

Not sure why the buzzer didn't go off (I grounded it/tested it, back during the control box saga of 2013). Either my water was not hot enough to trigger it, the switch itself is bad or the grounds on the motor are bad (as Jas suggested).

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I think it may have been a false alarm... I definitely had an overheat, because you sort of get to know your motor and I could tell it was running way hot (the heads were sizzling)... However, I think it was probably the muffs I was using; I ran it in a tub yesterday, and the heads got warm (but not too hot) and the exhaust water was hot, but not scalding.