• Poll closed .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

If you get out, enjoy man, that'll be cool!:joyous:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

The boat and I had a little pep talk this afternoon... She seems focused and ready for the task at hand:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Training a new boat can be hard. Positive re-enforcement and rewards,(custom trolling motors, etc), goes a long way in building a solid working relationship. I think you are on the right track. Have fun!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Awesome display of proper bottom feeding Patrick!

I have a 30yo Motor Guide bow mount that I've almost chucked a few times now. You've inspired me to spit shine it...plus: I don't have to worry about it leaking :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay: The positive vibe from the pep talk was short-lived. We can start with the good: The trolling motor worked beautifully (good thing - see below):

So, after fishing for a couple of hours and catching two dinker bass, we decided it was time to motor on home. Turn the key and the starter just gave out on me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the battery, because the starter battery was charged all night... Plus, I had been running the boat all morning... The starter would raise up and click but just didn't have enough strength to spin the fly-wheel... So, I tried a rope pull and that didn't work either...

So, there we were stranded about 2 miles from the dock; So, I put the trolling motor on 5 and made it about a 1/4 of the way back... Then, my new best friend "Ray" came by and agreed to give us a tow; So, here is part 1 of the story we will call "EPIC FAIL"

Part Two: Tied up the boat quickly because I was in a rush and didn't want to trouble Ray any longer than necessary, so I just tied his tow rope to my nose piece... This worked for about a 1/4 mile until a speed boat rushed by and we got rocked pretty hard in the waves and then my nose piece went "bye - bye"

Part Three: Get back to the dock out on the main lake and the wind had come up really good, I couldn't motor the boat onto the trailer obviously, so I had to hand crank it - The wind kept trying to push the boat outside of the guide-ons... Finally, another good samaritan came along and held the boat somewhat steady while I pulled forward... However, even with an extra set of hands the boat missed its mark by about 2 inches and one of the bottom strake-things was resting on the bunk board... So, my other new friend (didn't catch his name) pushed the boat a bit to try to get it to settle in; for some reason, all hell broke loose on the trailer:

Luckily, my favorite shop/marina is about 2 minutes from the ramp; They aren't even open on Saturday but i just drove around back and left it there....

So, I would say the first fishing outing was a bit of a challenge....

Time for a beer and a nap...

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Next pep talk make sure you got that" Eye Of The Tiger " song going in the back ground ! :rolleyes::D
Just chock it up to "one of those days" .. At least ya caught a couple a bass ! :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

1) ya caught fish
2) the starter &/or powerhead didn't grenade when they gave up
3) the forcefully removed nose piece remained connected to the tow rope
4) although askew & not quite right (generous, I know) on the trailer, it's on the trailer, nearly intact
5) you weren't filmed for a youtube "hot mess fishing dude has a melt down at the ramp" video (right?) :watermelon:
6) you got to be out IN the boat w/ jr

nope, it isn't always pretty... But #1 & 6 are always great :) 2 little 'ens is better then getting skunked. Hopefully your son's was the BIGGER of the 2, or both :rolleyes:

#2 & 3 are real good too......... As is #5......

Glad ya made it back, if somewhat discombobulated.....

Might try to find a local place to rebuild the starter if it proves the problem. An automotive starter/alternator rebuild shouldn't be much different, so they should be able to do yours too.

Actually a vintage 65hp Merc's starter was only $65 shipped on evilbay, and their horrible to price parts for.

Beer & nap as necessary :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I'm headed over to the SHT Forum to see who was helping you out and what they have to say about babysitting some "joker tin head guy" on the lake today.

:facepalm::rolleyes::topsy_turvy::yuck::wacko:

(Just messin with ya man, we all have crappy days like that, much luv :love:)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

That reminds me of an old western flick...
"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"...
Oh well, in the end the good guy always wins!:)
Just keep reminding yourself...
B.O.A.T.
Best Of All Times...;)

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

I sure wish we could have had access to the sound track inside your head when all this was going on! Some days are better than others and the fact that you were out with the little man will give you 2 something to chuckle about together later on. May not feel like it now but this day may turn out to be one of the ''highlights'' of this boat, as you guys went through it together. Rest up.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

When you wake-up from your nap-of-shame, run over there and check your connections (battery-to-solenoid, battery-to-ground, solenoid to starter) before you get a bill! :bolt:

JB put it best...#1 and #6...all the rest is just stuff for you and "little-man" to chuckle over when he's your age :thumb:

Decker83

Commander

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had..
Like all the rest have already said, Your alive and kicking and there will be another day of fishing..:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys; Thanks for the kind remarks. Yes, time spent with the little man was great! We were laughing about it. He even duck-taped my paddle blue and started waving it in the air as his own little "SOS" signal fare (pretty funny)....

Chris, I wish it was the connections, but I fear it might not be: I had a tool box on the boat and unbolted all of the connections, cleaned them, sprayed a little WD-40 on them and reattached them - and magically didn't drop anything in the water in the process... No joy.\

Its not the solenoid either, because I "jumped" the solenoid, by cutting off a piece of wire with scissors on a circuit I didn't need, and I got the same result... So, I am guessing either my battery gave out (which I'm just having a hard time believing that was it), or its the starter... I think I can get a rebuilt starter for around 80 bucks.

Plus, I need the shop's hoist to lift the boat to fix the trailer bunks...

We are already chuckling about this....and shopping for kicker motors as well :)...

Last edited:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

I had somewhat same issue last time with boat starter. Battery said it was charged but turned out it had a bad cell. Swapped in troller motor battery and bazzzinga

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

All I can say is "CRAP" sorry about the troubles buddy. I pray it doesn't set you back too much. Still plenty of good fishing weather ahead, so hopefully you can get right back into the saddle and put this one behind Ya!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay guys; Bounced back from the recent towing incident. Planned a last minute trip to the Gulf (Alabama coast) for Labor Day weekend. Decided I would try and bring the boat. Got the bunks fixed, put some brand new tires and bearings on, greased 'em good, hooked it up to the family truckster and hit the road:

Got to love a hotel property that lets you rent out a protected boat slip on the back bay:

Got out early:

Caught a few of these (redfish) and, of course, the "big one" got away (hooked a huge bull redfish that broke me off when it made one last run under the boat:

Then, picked up the fam:

And took a nice little boat cruise and then moored up on a nice little island spot (the pass right there under the bridge goes out to the gulf of mexico). Lot of labor day weekend traffic, and a lot of "big boats" coming in and out of the pass. Also, the water depth changes dramatically/quickly outside of the channel, so it was a good experience in terms of watching traffic, depths, channel markers, etc..

More on next post:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Kids had fun playing:

And "dug a hole to china"

And after a long day of fun, the boat/trailer got wash downed and engine flushed (gotta love a car wash with an engine flush 2 minutes from the launch):

jbcurt00

Staff member

Awesome looking trip! Congrats!

BTW: Might still run the motor on muffs now that you're away from the coast. Some coastal 'city' water is higher in salts then further inland water.

Yours looks right at home along the other beached boats! Great payoff on great work. Turns out the sign was very accurate :watermelon: