Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Well, since you brought it up, I will come clean and disclose that it was not completely without incident. :facepalm::rolleyes: I goofed and did not realize that my splashwell assembly would block drain tube insertion and use of the flange tool... So, I had to take the lid off the splashwell, which was not meant to come off (but we improvise!).... Also, lost a little bit of paint and epoxy when the hole saw punched through, but it wasn't too bad and I have since put some epoxy and fairing compound on there to smooth it out...

10_29_12_splashwellanddrains.jpg

I'll bet that break through damage is VERY common, I'm thinking about putting a clamp on either side and running a fast bit with very little pressure when it gets close to breaking through. My splashwell doesn't have those supports, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Looking good PMC, nice work :cool:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

.If you have to drill any more holes, let the tip of the bit penetrate and then come at it from the other side. :D Good to see some more progress on the boat.

Yeah, I knew better, but I was using a drill jig to keep my holes perfectly straight and on plane with the transom angle... I couldn't use the jig on the inside because those vertical pieces got in the way... So, I got lazy and pushed it on through... All's well that ends well :)

Congrats on getting the disco floor down. Just stopping by to say hi, trying to catch up on your progress.

Thanks, I have been following your thread too. Good luck on your quest for some power!

Looking good, congrats on the floor!!

Thanks, hope to make some headway on the bow deck real soon...

PM, what kind of paint is that on the transom?

Good ole Rustoleum... I'm not a huge fan of it on the wood/epoxy-coated surfaces... I scuff sanded my epoxy coat and also applied primer and it still scratches off pretty easy... (sort of like scratch off numbers on a lotto ticket)... Its mostly there to hide the epoxy from the UV exposure, but I may throw some porch paint on top for good measure...

I'll bet that break through damage is VERY common, I'm thinking about putting a clamp on either side and running a fast bit with very little pressure when it gets close to breaking through. My splashwell doesn't have those supports, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Looking good PMC, nice work :cool:

Its not so bad; I put some epoxy and marine tex on it and its as good as new... Nice flush surface so the drain tubes will flange flush...

Thanks guys.

rrumba

Ensign

Yeah, that was the problem i had as well, then the porch paint seemed to have stuck to it better. Only thing is now with the cooler weather it will take a bit longer to set, it will need some time in the sun to help it cure.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good ole Rustoleum... I'm not a huge fan of it on the wood/epoxy-coated surfaces... I scuff sanded my epoxy coat and also applied primer and it still scratches off pretty easy... (sort of like scratch off numbers on a lotto ticket)... Its mostly there to hide the epoxy from the UV exposure, but I may throw some porch paint on top for good measure

Yeah, that was the problem i had as well, then the porch paint seemed to have stuck to it better. Only thing is now with the cooler weather it will take a bit longer to set, it will need some time in the sun to help it cure.

Can't the Majic or Valspar hardener can be added to Rusto & porch paint to help w/ scratching & cure time?

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...ust-oleum-magic-hardener-question-576447.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...st-oleum-marine-paint-application-519520.html

Trooper82

Commander

PMC/850Merc...you can clamp a scrap board to the face where the drill will exit...little trick I learned a long time ago...even when working in metal is a big help sometimes.

I'm sure you have it looking like it never had a chip in it though...loking good brutha pmc...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

PMC/850Merc...you can clamp a scrap board to the face where the drill will exit...little trick I learned a long time ago...even when working in metal is a big help sometimes.

I'm sure you have it looking like it never had a chip in it though...loking good brutha pmc...

That's a great idea, I'll be using this advice for sure. Gracias amigo

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just visiting the U.S.S. Alabama as kid was awesome I couldn't imagine how cool it would be to sleep there... as a kid. As an adult however....ouch. Much respect for men like my grandpa who served on those old girls in WWII and my Uncle who served on them and in the brown water navy in Vietnam.

Plus 1 on the scrap lumber tip and great work.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay:
Been out of town the past 2 weekends, so progress has been slow... But I do have a little bit of work to report:

1. Got the bow deck coming together... I got the first lateral bulkhead installed... its in there firm with rivets and PL Glue. It sits just behind the fish box/cooler.

2. Salvaged a nice little "seat base" support out of the original boat. A piece of 3/4 inch will sit in that little "tray" for extra support for the front deck and casting seat... Then the deck will go on top of the that... I will have another lateral bulkhead that would go on the front of the piece and will close off the front of the bow deck... Two hatches will go on either side of this piece:

11_3_12_Bowdeck.jpg

And other view

11_3_12_bowdeck_2.jpg

Hope everyone had a good weekend..

~pmc

bear_69cuda

Commander

Awesome progress brutha!

Any ghosts on the battle ship? Wow that must of been incredible being on board! What an honor!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Keep picking away at it man, eventually you'll get there!;)

(Well, so, that's the rumor anyway:rolleyes:)

Trooper82

Commander

I like what you got going on there pmc...thinking I will be doing similar ....some day... keep at it :)

Decker83

Commander

That is looking great. Big nice fish box up front. I like the fish box better than a cooler. Would much rather fill it with fish than something to drink. :D
Where did you get the big red and black clamps from. Never seen them before. They look really nice to work with.
I'd say keep up the good work and not too much picking at the scabs. Oh did I say that.:eek:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks fellas...
Hey Decker, I got those clamps at Lowe's and I am really happy with them... They were about $7.00/piece, but they should probably charge twice that.... So easy to use... The only downside to them is the don't clamp super thin surfaces well (like two sheets of aluminum), but for thicker applications, they are are super strong, etc...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks fellas...
Hey Decker, I got those clamps at Lowe's and I am really happy with them... They were about $7.00/piece, but they should probably charge twice that.... So easy to use... The only downside to them is the don't clamp super thin surfaces well (like two sheets of aluminum), but for thicker applications, they are are super strong, etc...

I may just have to get a few of them when I flip my hull back over.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Clamps like that also work great to hold the window open on a walk through boat so it doesn't get caught by the wind and slam shut,...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay... Had some time and nice weather this weekend to get a little work done:

1. Got the transom cleaned up and the splashwell drains installed... Thanks to Jason's flange tool, I think these turned out nicely...

11_12_12_Transomsplashwelldraintubs.jpg

2. Got some rubber strips down for the gas tank (I cut up an auto mat from wal mart). Also PL glued and riveted in some holding straps and brackets.. (left a little "relief" room for expansion that occurs on these new plastic tanks)...

11_12_12_GasTankBracketsandSTraps.jpg

3. Got the fuel tank installed nice and firm and put some foam up front (this will reduce noise and also provide some additional structural support under the front fish box (where I will be standing alot).

11_12_12_FrontBulkheadpic.jpg

4. Got the bow fish box glued and riveted in with drain tube connected; and about 90% of the sub casting deck structure in... Its going to be good and strong up there... (reference second picture in post 268 to see the "leading edge" of the seat tray that is inserted into the slit in the aft bulkhead)...

11_12_12_bowdecksubstructure-modified.jpg

I hope to get the top piece for the bow deck measure, cut and installed in the next couple of days... Hope everyone had a good weekend.

~pmc

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good, making major progress. Congrats. The tank mounting looks good.