• Poll closed .

KennethfromGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Thanks I'll be keeping g that in mine when i get to making mine.:D

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

You may not want the weight of the tank that far up front....It will help get you on plane but may hurt your bow lift and cause it to plow a bit....

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks B, I hear ya... Tank is going to be just fore of my consoles which are going to be right about midships. So, its at the very back of the front casting deck. Plus, its only a 12 gallon tank...

Jas and I have pretty much the same boat and he's got his tank up there and hasn't reported any problems....(and I think his tank is bigger than mine)... But, I'll check with him again to be sure.

Thanks,
Patrick

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I have 45 gallons of go juice in my bow tank, no sweat, all good:D

rrumba

Ensign

popping in to see the progress you are making there PMC. Been out for awhile but getting back in the saddle again. time to giddy up and catch up with and JAS, although i believe Jas has turned farmer on us with his Nymph and is milking his.

Hey, once i get done, or you, or anyone else, there is an open invitation to come on by and do some striper fishing here on ol lake lanier.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Little update for you guys...

Spent most of the weekend on "a" boat (just not my boat).... Cub scout camp out with the little man on the U.S.S. Alabama... Pretty cool trip although sleeping sixty to a room 3 bunks vertical makes for: (a) little sleep; and (b) tons of respect for those who worked and fought on this vessel (this ship had 9 battle stars from WWII - Pacific theatre...)

10_28_12_battleshipbow.jpg

Nice view of Mobile Bay:

10_28_12_Battleship.jpg

Managed to squeeze in a little work on my much smaller boat:

Started to layout and build out the front casting deck assembly and front livewell/fish box... I used the existing deck supports but added 4 inches of height using galvanized aluminum brackets around some wooden blocks cut from my transom remnant - epoxied and painted...

10_28_12_frontcastingwellgtbetter.jpg

Also added my transom bracket to cover up some of the ugly and drilled my splashwell drain holes....

10_28_12_reartransombrace.jpg

Hope everyone had a good and productive weekend...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Awesome place to visit...definitely much respect...
th

Glad to see some pretty cool progress on the Nymph, too;)

rrumba

Ensign

Glad you had some time with little man. Yeah, those racks are the pits, now just imagine sleeping in the top rack with heavy seas rocking and tossing in all directions..... without falling out....... ;) ah the good ole, what am i thinking.

Nice to see some more progress on your boat.

not to be picky but a vessel that size is called a ship :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Except the triple bunk sleeping, sounds like a great trip! And weren't those hot bunks in WW2? More then 1 crewman per bunk in shifts....

Nice progress, and the fuel fits just behind or under the livewell?

Have a great week!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Took a field trip to get some idea,s for the SN did you .. Well they are both made of metal I guess ..:rolleyes:
Looks like a great time !

Trooper82

Commander

Looking Good PMC....bet that was an awesome trip to the USS Alabama..

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome place to visit...definitely much respect...
Glad to see some pretty cool progress on the Nymph, too;)

Thanks Gus, 'bout to try and catch up on some other threads including yours... Hope you got some time on the Bassasin this weekend.

Glad you had some time with little man. Yeah, those racks are the pits, now just imagine sleeping in the top rack with heavy seas rocking and tossing in all directions..... without falling out....... ;) ah the good ole, what am i thinking.

Nice to see some more progress on your boat.

not to be picky but a vessel that size is called a ship :D

Yeah, that was definitely a "ship" - Here is a shot of the bunk sleeping to take you down memory lane.

10_28_12_bunks.jpg

And weren't those hot bunks in WW2?
Nice progress, and the fuel fits just behind or under the livewell?

Not sure about WWII times, but they were "Hot" for different reasons in 2012 (felt like sleeping on my Grandmom's vinyl station wagon seats (you know, -- the kind that would stick to your legs in the summer)...

And the fuel will go just aft of the livewell (you can see where I traced the outline on the deck)... There will be a vertical (port to starboard) bulkhead under the metal piece --> that's actually an angle piece and I will fasten the top of the bulkhead to that and on the bottom it will be fixed to the deck with some PL and an angle bracket.... I will put some foam pieces (stacked) under that livewell for additional support... Makes sense in my head at least (you will probably have to watch it unfold before it makes any sense).

Off to check out everyone else's progress before I crash...

EDIT: SP and Troop - thanks for the fly by... was typing when you were... :)

rrumba

Ensign

Man those were the good ones. the ones i slept in did not have that much room above them and we called them our coffins as that was how they felt. Bravo to you and the scouts for both scouting and the trip to the alabama. I started as a cub scout at age 10 and stayed with it until i was a an assistant scout master and had my Eagle under my belt.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Is that anchor chain up there on each side of PMC Jr? HUGE!

I'd be a stud like you would even have a hard time pulling up that anchor!:)

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be a really cool scouting event, my son would loved that. Very interesting to get to see and sleep there.

Glad to see you were able to punch those splashwell drains. No reason, just sayin... :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

That would be a really cool scouting event, my son would loved that. Very interesting to get to see and sleep there.

Glad to see you were able to punch those splashwell drains. No reason, just sayin... :D

Well, since you brought it up, I will come clean and disclose that it was not completely without incident. :facepalm::rolleyes: I goofed and did not realize that my splashwell assembly would block drain tube insertion and use of the flange tool... So, I had to take the lid off the splashwell, which was not meant to come off (but we improvise!).... Also, lost a little bit of paint and epoxy when the hole saw punched through, but it wasn't too bad and I have since put some epoxy and fairing compound on there to smooth it out...

10_29_12_splashwellanddrains.jpg

Is that anchor chain up there on each side of PMC Jr? HUGE!

Yeah, that was the anchor "chain" - it was absolutely massive... Its hard to communicate the perspective in pictures... Impressive stuff.

Decker83

Commander

That was one of the first things I noticed was the chains. I can't begin to imagine what would happen if you got tangled in one of them.

Looks like you and your little had a great time. That's something he will remember all his life.

If you have to drill any more holes, let the tip of the bit penetrate and then come at it from the other side. :D
Good to see some more progress on the boat.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on getting the disco floor down. Just stopping by to say hi, trying to catch up on your progress.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good, congrats on the floor!!