1988 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3L OMC Ford cobra

Tkilkenny

Seaman
I have had the issue with fuel coming out of the filler like that, tank wasn't full either. I had to remove some of the bend from my filler hose so air wouldn't get trapped. I ve known alot of people with this issue and it really helped.
This is initially was happening even with a new vent hose that worked properly.
The sending unit is right in front of the engine.
Ya mine doesn’t have power steering. It would be just for the hydraulic lift pump for the Outdrive

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok yeah one less thing to go wrong!
Boats this age often need the helm unit & cable replaced just due to wear. 30+ years is a long time!

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Props what would you guys recommend for a good balance for towing single or double person tubes? Also for top speed? Currently running Propeller 13 3/4 15, spare 13 1/4 17

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Resurfacing question. We took off all the old pin stripe decals that were pretty old and messed up . What would you guys recommend for resurfacing, painting or boat wrap material?

Tkilkenny

Seaman
currently wiring in a usb/cigarette plug charger and replacing the blower motor. Does the type of hydrofoil make a big diff? This is what I have on it

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    817.2 KB · Views: 4

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Props what would you guys recommend for a good balance for towing single or double person tubes? Also for top speed? Currently running Propeller 13 3/4 15, spare 13 1/4 17
I am getting 36-38 mph with the 13. Navitronics gps speed

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Mine came with the trim gauge, all the gauges are Medallion gauges that believe it or not still work. The Cobra OEM trim senders are NLA but Sierra makes a replacement that works fine.

todhunter

Canoeist
Prop size will be WOT RPM dependent. What are you currently at with your 15p? With your 17p?

I would wet sand and buff instead of paint or wrap. If you've got chalky gelcoat, start wet sanding with ~800 and go lower if needed. I had to go way down (300, I think?) then work my way back up to 1,000 grit. After you have all the chalky gelcoat sanded, buff with a rotary high speed buffer and wool pad using Aquabuff 1000, then again with Aquabuff 2000. Next, hand wax it (I use Collinite wax). You'll be surprised how far you can bring it back to life. It's a lot of work though.

I would take the hydrofoil off. Mine broke off my drive (and took a chunk with it) this past weekend.

Trim gauge just gives you a general idea of where the drive is at. I have one. The dashes / numbers don't mean anything significant, but it's nice for me to know about where I'm at with my trim. I'm using the Sierra Eclipse gauges.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
With the trim gauge I just take note of how it reads with the drive 1/2 way up since that’s how I leave it when it’s on the mooring due to tides changing & low water levels (3.5’ at low tide).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just an FYI, I had 3 props on board for my 3.0. a 15p for trolling and watersports. A 17p for general boating, an 19p for cruising with 2 people.

No one size prop for small motors

Tkilkenny

Seaman
With the trim gauge I just take note of how it reads with the drive 1/2 way up since that’s how I leave it when it’s on the mooring due to tides changing & low water levels (3.5’ at low tide).
So if I want to moor and stay the night you would run drive up half way?

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Any advice for overnighting hooked up to a mooring buoy? I like in tri cites Washington im on the Columbia river.

Tkilkenny

Seaman
What is the draft for my boat? Also an estimate for gallons per hr fuel consumption

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Any advice for overnighting hooked up to a mooring buoy? I like in tri cites Washington im on the Columbia river.
Make sure your front cleats are secure I like a mooring with 2 pennant lines instead of one that spreads the load over both cleats.