1988 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3L OMC Ford cobra

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Not sure on the service manual, the drive isn't hard to pull. Use a threaded eye bolt where the top gear lube plug is and an engine hoist. You will need the alignment tool and bearing puller if you are going to change the gimbal bearing. There is a zerk fitting on the starboard side of the lower unit that will pump grease to the gimbal bearing. That is if whoever put a new gimble bearing last aligned it correctly.
If you’re older or have a bad lower back buy a drive jack. I have one for about 10 years & it saved me prob over $3000 in maintenance costs and no back injuries, even better! While it’s an aluminum casting it’s damn heavy!

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Welcome aboard!

The hoses are NLA. The belt you can take to an autoparts store and they can measure it if no numbers are visible.
I have the exact same boat.
I am planning on making my own hoses because they are NLA, the only hoses I have seen are used. There may be a date code stamped on them to give you an idea on their age, mine are currently from 2004.
Thank you!

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Does anyone know if the bilage fan is a 3 or 4 inch. Mine is screeching I think I need to replace it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind that marine cooling systems by their design (has to bring in raw water from the water you are boating in) are more maintenance than a vehicle with a totally closed system. Vehicle systems with long life coolants can run for many years with just checking for coolant leaks & the belt. The rubber impeller wears normally and has a life of approx 3 seasons. The Cobra impeller is much easier to change than the Merc Alpha. It’s like a 20 min job. It lives under that plastic cover at the tail end of the upper unit.

My boat has a 3” blower, I’ve replaced it like 2x over 20 years that I owned it…

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Since you have been talking about updating/redoing some things I wanted to mention to check all of your fuel lines. My vent and fuel filler hoses were original and in extremely poor condition, the filler hose was cracked and the wire reinforcing was rusted, don't need an explosion.

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Got the impeller replaced. Got the carb apart and ready for the rebuild kit. Does anyone know the following info for this boat? 1988 bayliner capri 1750 BR series
Length: 16.83 ft
Weight:1780 Lbs
Width:?
Max height:?
Cruising speed:?
Fuel consumption G/h:?
Draft: ?
AIS identifier:

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7825.jpeg
    IMG_7825.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10

Tkilkenny

Seaman
Propeller 13 3/4 15, spare 13 1/4 17. Can someone explain to me prop sizes from my research the prop that is on it is more for acceleration pulling, and the 17 inch is for speed what would be the smallest I could go to maximum acceleration in the biggest I could go for speed..?

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Got the impeller replaced. Got the carb apart and ready for the rebuild kit. Does anyone know the following info for this boat? 1988 bayliner capri 1750 BR series
AIS identifier:
On my boat I have a decal on the left side of the walk through area stating 750 lbs capacity (people and gear) and as far as speed 36 or so depending on your prop. I had mine at 36 at 3800 rpm but didn't push it because of issues with my drive but I believe 40 is attainable with 5600 rpm WOT, but who knows how accurate these old speedos are.
The beam is 7'-0"

Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

AIS identifier:
I must say your boat looks great! It certainly looks like it was cared for.
I'd love to know where that top came from, I've never seen one for this boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that little Ford OHC sounds quite good, they were used in many smaller Fords way back when. My cousin had the smaller version in a European Ford Capri, 2.0 version I think. Quite a nice car for the time.