1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

ok! I misunderstood the lap joint, Im butting up to old stringers I was going to but them then scab a piece of plywood on each side. I have 2 that are only 4' long from the back of the fuel tank to the transom, and 1 that is about 8'. I cant draw a picture like you do but Ill have a scab on one side and an l shaped scab on the other because I cut the stringers off at the bulk head in back of the fuel tank. If you look at the photo the red is where Im replacing stringers, the green is where there will be an L scab on the inside and a flat scab on the outside of each of those stringers and where the blue is Ill have flat scabs on each side of that one.I hope Im explaining it ok??? lol!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

In this pic you can see the bulkhead at the back of where the fuel tank is and the ends of the stringers Ive cut out.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I might just cut that bulk head out and build new just so I can get a good joint on both those stringers!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No, you can get a good joint the way you are doing it. it's called "Sistering" Like this...

Use 3/8" ply wood for the Outside pieces and glue and screw them to the stringers and then glass over the entire thing.
SisteredJoint.jpg

azmav

Seaman

Lwarden, Wow! great progress! I am still sanding. Been at it for like 2 weeks. Haven't had much time though and I had to take on the whole boat so the top cap is off and I am down to bare hull. Sanding everything is taking a long time. This is a great looking boat you have and can't beat the location for access to lakes! I used to live not far from you in Dearborn Heights area right off of Edward Hines Drive. Look forward to watching your progress.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Azmav, Thanks for the comment, I hope I'm done grinding but still might have a few small spots here and there that I need to clean up. I just bought 2 sheets of 4x8x3/4 arauco plywood @ $40.00 a sheet. I have another question for the pro's about making this transom, what are the pros and or cons if any of making the whole thing 2 layers of 3/4" instead of just the area where the outdrive/gimbal housing/transom plate hooks up? I think it would be way easier to fiberglass and tab in with on smooth surface. The only draw back I can think of is gluing it together. I also think it would be easier to glue in the boat as 1 solid smooth sheet. What say you?? if you look at the pic the outline in red was all 3/4" thick plywood and the outline in blue was the only area that was doubled up.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The only real negatives I see are the slight increase in weight and a little extra material used...although I think the positives are that it would be Battleship strong, especially around the stern eyes, plus if you decide to add a swim platform or a ski tow hook or a boarding ladder or trim tabs, etc..., you will have plenty of rock solid real estate to attach to...
You are doing a great job so far...keep up the great progress...:)

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only real negatives I see are the slight increase in weight and a little extra material used...although I think the positives are that it would be Battleship strong, especially around the stern eyes, plus if you decide to add a swim platform or a ski tow hook or a boarding ladder or trim tabs, etc..., you will have plenty of rock solid real estate to attach to...
You are doing a great job so far...keep up the great progress...:)
Thanks GT! There is a swim platform and I do have trim tabs going back on, so all in all its a win, win! previously the tie down eyes had a metal plate behind them and I also have a grab handle that was mounted the same way. I think it will be way easier to glass and tab in being its one nice smooth surface

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks GT! There is a swim platform and I do have trim tabs going back on, so all in all its a win, win! previously the tie down eyes had a metal plate behind them and I also have a grab handle that was mounted the same way. I think it will be way easier to glass and tab in being its one nice smooth surface

Just a thought, me personally, If at all possible or feasible, I would use some form of backing plates on any thru-hull fasteners to spread the load forces over a much larger area than just the washers...
And it will definitely be much easier to tab & glass...

series60

Chief Petty Officer

what are the pros and or cons if any of making the whole thing 2 layers of 3/4" instead of just the area where the outdrive/gimbal housing/transom plate hooks up?

Lwarden, have a look here for some in site as to how I accomplished the task you are attempting. Just be sure that your overall transom thickness is within Mercruiser speck. The transom thickness must be between 2-2? inches thickness with the closer to 2" the better.

You're headed in the right way and doing a great job.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lwarden, have a look here for some in site as to how I accomplished the task you are attempting. Just be sure that your overall transom thickness is within Mercruiser speck. The transom thickness must be between 2-2? inches thickness with the closer to 2" the better.

You're headed in the right way and doing a great job.
Wow series60! Nice work! I just went through your whole post and it gave me some great ideas. I noticed you used epoxy and Im going with poly but otherwise your right I'm doing just about exactly what you did. I like the gel coat inside too and have been struggling with either gel coat or vinyl for my interior. I also like the way you did your motor mount bunks, I had gaps between the outside of each bunk and the inside stringer and I think Ill make them wide enough to take up that gap and make it way easier to glass in. Gosh I'm so happy you shared that with me, Im a visual kind of guy so it really gives me great ideas. I wanted to use some of the in between stringer space for storage also as Im getting rid of my back to back passenger seat that had storage underneath it, I also would love to make a fish locker like you did. I also read where you foamed in your fuel tank? Mine wasn't set in foam but I think that's a great idea, I just need to figure out how to access my fuel sending unit and the ends of the vent and fill hoses and the feed line to the carb before I do that. Otherwise Fantastic job and congratulations on a job well done. Bet your fishing buddies are impressed! and by the way I measured the transom before I tore into it and it was 1 7/8" thick Im hoping with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and the 3/8" hull thickness and the 2-3 layers of 1708 biax it should be real close to 2" if not slightly over. Please feel free to follow my job and if you feel the urge to chime in about anything please do! I love advice and sometimes really over think things.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any reason why I cant move my fuel tank a cpl inches forward? theres room in the spot where it sits? just curious if a cpl inches will be a concern with any center balance issue or anything related to flotation attitude?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Is there any reason why I cant move my fuel tank a cpl inches forward? theres room in the spot where it sits? just curious if a cpl inches will be a concern with any center balance issue or anything related to flotation attitude?

Personally, I don't see any issues with moving it...but that is my NON-marine engineer speaking...:rolleyes:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, I don't see any issues with moving it...but that is my NON-marine engineer speaking...:rolleyes:

GT, its only a cpl of inches, to allow room for a dbled up bulk head at the rear of the tank. Thats where the engine dog house bolts on and Id like it sturdied up some.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

GT, its only a cpl of inches, to allow room for a dbled up bulk head at the rear of the tank. Thats where the engine dog house bolts on and Id like it sturdied up some.

OOOps! maybe you misunderstood...I said, I DON'T see any issues...meaning I think it would be A-OK to do move it...:)

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the bulkhead Im replacing and moving forward 2" and also making it as tall as the one forward of it!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok! gonna build my transom on Sat, do I need to waterproof both sides of both pieces of plywood with thinned resin before I glue them together? or should I build it/glue it then waterproof both sides?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check the first link in my signature below. Do NOT thin the resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.