1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

More progress today! and more good news! Started cutting my old rotted transom out and what do you know,they built this boat so well that the base layer of transom plywood wasnt even glued to the back of the boat! So it came out with ease! there were 3 small areas that did show signs of being glued but most if it came right off after I cut it into chunks.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at the pic above should I just cut all that crap out of the bilge? the block in the center if what the bilge pump sat on!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yep, take it out and then build it back new if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Piratehooker

Seaman Apprentice

wow. I am very impressed with all you guys that take on this project. I no doubt need to do this to my sea ray, so will continue to read all these great threads untill I am confident enough. Keep up the great work and good luck.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow. I am very impressed with all you guys that take on this project. I no doubt need to do this to my sea ray, so will continue to read all these great threads untill I am confident enough. Keep up the great work and good luck.

Piratehooker,Believe me I never, ever would have concidered taking on such a job but after reading all the post's here I felt very empowered, and decided that with the help you can get here at Iboats its a win win!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made more progress today, drained the fuel tank and pulled it out. Im still amazed at the workman ship or lack there of on this vessel. Can I grind some of this to clean it up a bit? I think once I get to grinding Im going to clean up all this shoddy glass work and re glass it. Run a layer of 1708 over all of it to cap it off and make it look pretty.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got my full face respirator and cartridges today! ready to start grinding away! Im using my 4 1/2" grinder with a rubber backer and resin backed 24 and 36 grit sanding disc's! I should have pics by the weekend!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Started grinding today, got the transom preped and a cpl stringers ground out and ready to be preped for new. Was shoping with the wife at the consignment shop today and noticed they have stacks of plastic soft drink cups, like 12 for $3.00, I was wondering if I could use them as mixing cups for my resin and PB? Is there a reason you need the graduated cups?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, the Dollar Store Sells quart containers 4-6 for a Dollar.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The poly quart containers that soup comes in from the Chinese take-out are nearly identical to the fancy ones from West and similar places, and were delicious originally. I've been saving them and have a tidy collection growing.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome! Thanks Fellas!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok! found a local supplier for my material here in Mi. Just wondering if $165.00 is a good price for 5 gals of standard polyester layup resin.?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep USComposites is $125 but... there's a Hazmat fee and Shipping so by the time you got it to Michigan you'd pay about $190

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK! getting ready to make my transom and start bedding my stringers. When I build this transome should I put some CSM on both sides prior to install or just the side towards the interior of the boat? or should I just resin the back side towards the transom and layup some csm on the interior side? And also when I put my stringers in I'll be using a lap joint to join them to the old existing stringers and using PL to glue the joint and the lap, is this exceptable?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Link In my signature has my recommendations for installing a Transom. I don't recommend using the PL glue. I prefer TiteBond III or a Mayonaise Consistency PB to glue the LapJoints together. I also recommend a Minimum of 12" lap.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Link In my signature has my recommendations for installing a Transom. I don't recommend using the PL glue. I prefer TiteBond III or a Mayonaise Consistency PB to glue the LapJoints together. I also recommend a Minimum of 12" lap.

So on that 12" lap joint do you mean 6" on each side or 12" on each side of the joint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OverlapJoint.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.