1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Yep, I wrote all of that and It is all true but...Having written and said and DONE all of the above...and having known many others that have used all different kinds of Acrylic enamel paints with various brands of hardeners, I've yet to hear of or know of anyone that has reported a catastrophic failure of any of them. The formulas are so similar that I personally don't think it matters. I know for a a fact that Rustoleum Makes a hardener for their industrial AE paint but they don't sell it retail. I've spoken with their Techs and they will not publicize the fact that their retail paint is practically the same formula as their industrial paint. You are free to use what you want. I have switched to the Majic paint just cuz it's more convenient for me and they have the reducer, hardener and paint all in one package. Sooo if you can do the same, I guess I'd recommend you do it too!!! The ratio is what it I thought. 2 oz per Qt. 1 oz per 2 cups. I'm getting old and forgetful but not as bad as I thought!!!;)

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Yep, I wrote all of that and It is all true but...Having written and said and DONE all of the above...and having known many others that have used all different kinds of Acrylic enamel paints with various brands of hardeners, I've yet to hear of or know of anyone that has reported a catastrophic failure of any of them. The formulas are so similar that I personally don't think it matters. I know for a a fact that Rustoleum Makes a hardener for their industrial AE paint but they don't sell it retail. I've spoken with their Techs and they will not publicize the fact that their retail paint is practically the same formula as their industrial paint. You are free to use what you want. I have switched to the Majic paint just cuz it's more convenient for me and they have the reducer, hardener and paint all in one package. Sooo if you can do the same, I guess I'd recommend you do it too!!! The ratio is what it I thought. 2 oz per Qt. 1 oz per 2 cups. I'm getting old and forgetful but not as bad as I thought!!!;)

Well so far you've been right on the money with just about everything! Thats why your my go to guy! Now dont go gettin a big head either!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok! Been reading on a few other threads on Iboats that when I get ready to reinstall my engine that the gunwales with a 4x4 across them might support some of the weight of the engine to facilitate alignment and adjustments of the motor mounts...what say the experts here?????

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK! just finished re upholstering the gunwale pads and Im looking into installing some LED rope lighting under them to illuminate the deck in the evenings and if we fish at night any suggestions!!!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LW' this is a Great Post! Great work, very documented and informative. Keep it up.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Refinished the swim platform today, cleaned it with Behr all in one cleaner and refinished it with Cabot's Cetol in Teak.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK! Sorry Ive been amiss here lately, working every waking minute on the boat and even sometimes in my sleep. So here's a quick update. Carpets in,engines in, wiring redone, seats are in. I have a few small things left to do before splash time yet. I have to bleed the trim pump,install cuddy door,swim platform, and wire up my down riggers. So still pluggin away and hopefully will be back in the water by this weekend.

TonyRV2

Recruit
I know this thread is over 7 years old so forgive me for "necroposting". I just wanted to add one comment in so much that as of this week, I am the new owner of this boat. What an incredible thread this is in detailing the meticulous labor of love that LWarden went through in the amazing restoration of this boat. Furthermore, this boat looks as good today as it did 7 years ago. This effort should serve as an inspiration to us all. :)

paulosur

Recruit
I am very impressed with all you guys that take on this project. I no doubt need to do this to my sea ray, so will continue to read all these great threads untill I am confident enough

Status
Not open for further replies.