1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

You can see on the port or right motor mount in the pic above that when someone replaced the engine they used 2 new holes! why you ask?? because its rotten underneith and those first 2 holes were stripped out.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Als got the engine situated so I can move it easily.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do I need to take some measurements of my motor mount locations before I tear them out?

I would take tons of pictures and make a little drawing and put all the measurements on the drawing. I'm thinking this is something you'll want to rebuild just as it was.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to try to cut some floor up today, can I use my 4 1/4" circular saw to do this if I set the depth just deep enough to get through the 3/4" plywood? I realize I need to leave a slight lip around the edges where it attaches to the hull.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok more progress! Started cutting some of the floor out, and removing the foam. First cut and heres what we find underneith removing foam, Oh Joy! some of the foam is slightly damp.The stringer closest to the engine compartment Im thinking they left this hole so the foam would fill the small rear compartment the stringer furthest outboard from the engine compartment.That small rear compartment, the top was cut out of it for the power steering unit.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

and here is some of the transom rot I was expecting

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

So all in all Im quite satisfied that I wont have to replace the 4' of the stringers as I had thought. Whats the best way to tell if the stringers are rotted? from what I can see they are slightly damp but seem solid except for the last 12"out from the transom on the stringer closest to the engine compartment.The foam is truley a choir to get out, I used my cordless sawzall and chopped it up into small pieces but even then it was a bear to get out. I cant imagine doing the whole boat, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made some more head way today, cut the other side of the floor out next to the engine compartment. The deck wasnt as rotten and the plywood delaminated a little taking it off.The foam didnt seem as wet either, although I did find a small pocket of water or dampness way down low. How can I tell if these stringers are solid? I have cut the main stringers away fron the transom, you could tell they were rotten inside between the fiberglass because when I tapped on them they sounded hollow. Should I just keep cutting them back till I get to good wood? I began tearing into the transom also. Im amazed at the shoddy workmanship in this boat. The deck has been stapled down to the stringers at the factory. More pics

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

More transom rot and all the foam from both sides of the bilge area.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok got out the tape measure today to take some dimensions on the stringers,motor mounts,etc... How percise do these dimensions have to be??? because I ran a couple of strings accross the top rail to get an accurate height on my motor mounts and from one end to the other (24" span) its almost 3/4" different from front to back on one side and about 1/2" different on the other. My stringers when measured from the side of the hull do not run perfectly parallel with the hull either but they are within about a 1/2" in 4'. My transom where it is doubled up, where the gimbal housing and transom plate goes looks like a drunken sailor put it in because its 32" off the sole on one corner and 30 3/4" on the other. Like I said the workmanship on this boat is nothing short of ridiculous! Ive never done fiberglass before in my life but Im sure what I'll be doing will be far superior to the factory hack job thats on this boat.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK! I know Im getting a little ahead of myself but can someone give me some ideas on how to clamp my transom back into my boat? Im looking for ideas to get it tight up above the key hole. The transom is about an 1 1/2" smaller than the back of the boat all the way around,and below the rub rail. Any suggestions?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im thinking maybe I can use the tie down hook holes with a cpl of 2x4's for the top but still uncertain aboout the middle above the key hole?????

series60

Chief Petty Officer

OK! I know Im getting a little ahead of myself but can someone give me some ideas on how to clamp my transom back into my boat?

Here is what I ended up with when I replace my transom.

newtransominstalled2 (3).jpg

newtransominstalled2.jpg

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok! More progress! got all the floor and floatation foam removed! everything seems solid so far. Next Im going to remove the fuel tank to gain better access to the tail end of the stringers that run along side the tank. 1 thing I noticed is the bulkhead for the cuddy doesnt seem to be attached to the deck? is this normal? you can see in the last pic that the inner 2 stringers dont come in contact with the doubled up portion of the transom.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im going to make the doubled up portion of the transom this big! that way the 2 inner most stringers will be in contact with the stronger doubled up portion. I think that will be better for the boat overall.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job! Enjoying the posts!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOG, can you tell me what this piece is for? its hollow/rotted underneith for water drainage I assume? but what would it be for? and do I need to replace it with new when I redue the bilge/motor mounts??

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOG, can you tell me what this piece is for? its hollow/rotted underneith for water drainage I assume? but what would it be for? and do I need to replace it with new when I redue the bilge/motor mounts??

Only thing I can think of is its to keep the motor mounts from tipping or torquing maybe??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What's on your motor @ that location?

Status
Not open for further replies.