1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

todhunter

Canoeist
Still waiting on rings for the Suburban. :( They should be here Saturday though, and hopefully I can put the truck project behind me and get back on the boat more regularly.

I've been messing with the gimbal - got it all torn down right now. I had a few small spots of corrosion on the components, so I tried my hand at repainting the gimbal ring - just finished laying the paint on. Hope it looks as good dry as it does wet. 😬

3.jpg

todhunter

Canoeist
Suburban engine is mostly back together...hoping to drop it back in the truck this coming weekend.

I've been working here and there on the gimbal housing. It's finally started going back together.
2.png

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

78 Thompson

Seaman
I’m trying to figure out my supplies. Do you have a guess as to what you used, for just the transom? Mainly, resin, 1/4 chop strand, and cabosil? Did you use cabosil?

todhunter

Canoeist
I’m trying to figure out my supplies. Do you have a guess as to what you used, for just the transom? Mainly, resin, 1/4 chop strand, and cabosil? Did you use cabosil?
I'd buy 5 gal of resin, 6-10 yards of 1708, and 6-10 yards of CSM. Probably a little overkill, but not by a lot. Just go ahead and buy the 4-gal pail of cabosil and the 4lb tub of milled fibers. Yes, I used cabosil to make my PB.

78 Thompson

Seaman
I’m wondering, when you PBed the transom wood in the boat, did you put a thin layer on both the wood and the hull?
Also about how much PB did it take to cover the transom?

Last edited:

todhunter

Canoeist
I’m wondering, when you PBed the transom wood in the boat, did you put a thin layer on both the wood and the hull?
Also about how much PB did it take to cover the transom?
I'm pretty sure I troweled PB onto both the boat and the transom. I used a plastic v-notch trowel with 1/4" notches that I got for a few bucks on Amazon. Not sure how much PB...maybe three 17 oz batches? I know my wife made a few.

todhunter

Canoeist
Finally...after 3 months, back to working on the hull. Today I manned-up and drilled the holes in my transom for mounting my transom assembly. I center punched, used a small (5/64") bit for a pilot, then stepped from 1/4" up to 1/2" all the way through. I used a small block of ash with a hole drilled in it clamped to the transom to keep the bit headed in the right direction.

Next I test fit my transom assembly - I had to tweak the keyhole a little and waller out a few of the holes a small amount, but eventually it sat flush. My free-handed steering relief cuts weren't big enough, so I had to open those up. I used a sanding drum on a die grinder to do this. After making sure it was plenty wide enough, I laid one layer of CSM on the exposed wood to seal it all up.

My "jig" for drilling the holes.
1.png

All 6 holes drilled
4.png

Test fitting transom assembly.
2.png

From the inside
3.png

Steering reliefs not big enough - I free handed these, so I'm not surprised. Area that needs to be opened marked with sharpie.
5.png

After opening up the steering arm reliefs, re-glassing to seal the wood.6.png

todhunter

Canoeist
Started removing the pinstripes, and wet sand/buffing supplies are trickling in. I figure while the transom is naked I might as well wet sand/buff. Also got the old registration / mailbox numbers off one side. The 3M stripe-off wheel is no joke...it's doing a great job. I'm following it up with a dry rag wipe to knock off the dust, then a xylene soaked rag to get the residue off.

20210610_191357.png

20210610_191406.png

todhunter

Canoeist
Pretty much done removing pinstripes and the old boat name from the hull - there is still more to do on the cap. Hoping the worst of the sun-faded area will wet sand/buff out. If I can still see the old name, I may do a large Power Play vinyl over it on each side.
20210613_114200.png

I also got the transom and bilge gelcoated today. I used clear gelcoat over the hand prints. My tape lines didn't hold up perfect, but oh well. For both clear and white, I rolled out some unwaxed gelcoat, let it set up, then rolled out a layer with wax. The flat areas beside the bilge (where batteries, trim pump, etc. go) were originally carpeted. I'm thinking about gelcoating these instead, but am undecided at the moment. The sides of the hull in this area will be carpeted.
20210613_112228.png

20210613_112239.png

20210613_112247.png

todhunter

Canoeist
Got up this morning before it started getting hot and peeled back the tarp sitting over the cap for the first time in over 7 months. Thankfully, no wasps to contend with. I did what I'm hoping was the last of the fiberglass grinding I'll have to do on this boat. I ground the old tabbing around the bench seat where it will attach to the sides of the hull and the new floor.

Picking up a roll of carpet on Monday and hope to have the bow storage area carpeted by the end of the week. After that, I'm basically ready to put the cap back on!

20210619_084654.png

20210619_084714.png

20210619_084719.png

Last edited:

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
EVENTUS is such a strange name. I looked up the word and it still puzzles me why someone would name a boat that. If I lived near you, I would offer to help wet sand it off. LOL