1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
gump-braces.png

todhunter

Canoeist
Thanks guys...yes, I'm trying to work fast to have it ready this summer...maybe still too aggressive of a goal, but we will see.

Today I got the starboard outer stringer bedded and tabbed. My fixture to hold this stringer was much less elaborate than the one to hold the center stringer. One more stringer to go, then it's on to bulkheads and the ski locker floor.

1.png

2.png

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I was actually referring to the braces coming off, and now you can really run with it. ;)

PC on the Bayou

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since you have an enclosed place to work, I think summer is doable. That's actually what I'm shooting for as well. I think my better half is getting tired of my weekends being boat time. LOL.

todhunter

Canoeist
Since you have an enclosed place to work, I think summer is doable. That's actually what I'm shooting for as well. I think my better half is getting tired of my weekends being boat time. LOL.
Yeah, my better half has been really good letting me spend as much time as I have on the boat. Before this past year, I was usually out paddling whitewater every weekend, so I think the fact that this project keeps me around the house helps.

I got the last stringer tabbed in this evening. I'll have some glass to trim along the top edges of the stringers, then onto the rear bulkhead and ski locker floor. I'm going to wait to lay glass on the top of the stringers until the rear bulkhead is in the boat.
2.png

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great work and progress Tod, that is such a bigger project than mine, you are killing it!

todhunter

Canoeist
I started the day by trimming and sanding smooth the overhanging glass at the top edge of the stringers. Next, I made templates for the rear bulkhead and the ski locker floor. I still had the old ski locker floor and did some test fitting with it before switching to foam board.
2.png

Foam templates for the rear bulkhead.
3.png

4.png

Rear bulkhead pieces cut out of 3/4" plywood and foam board template of the ski locker floor.
5.png

Ski locker floor cut out of 1/2" plywood.
6.png

I went ahead and laid glass over the top edge of the center stringer, which will be under the ski locker floor. I want to make sure I know the exact height of the ski locker floor where it hits the rear bulkhead so I can put my drain in the proper location. My plan is to go ahead and glass the back of the ski locker floor and then that should give me a better idea about where to put the drain from the ski locker into the bilge.
7.png

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
What a project..! Nice work, redid a Glasply a few year ago, It was a 5 year project, you are doing great...!

todhunter

Canoeist
I got one layer of CSM on the back face of the ski locker floor.
2.png

Once the glass on the ski locker floor was cured and trimmed, I set it in the boat and this help me set the height of the pipe which will drain the ski locker into the bilge. I marked the ski locker floor's height onto the bulkhead, drilled an oversized hole, and PB'd a piece of PVC into the hole. Hopefully this will help keep the bulkhead from rotting out.
3.png

4.png

I can't remember whose thread I saw this on, but I liked it, so I'm stealing the idea. I cut these angled pieces which will go at the back of the ski locker against the bulkhead. These should funnel any water in there towards the drain hole when the boat is bow-high, and prevent water from collecting in the corners.
5.png

6.png

todhunter

Canoeist
Didn't get a ton of work done today because I used the last of my cabosil this morning to set in the outer pieces of the rear bulkhead. A new bucket showed up this evening so I'm back in business tomorrow.
3.png

Drain hole in the center part of the rear bulkhead came out nice. I may router the back edge of the ski locker floor and wrap some CSM around it so there is no chance of draining water getting to the end grain.
2.png