1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Thanks Wood and Jigngrub.
I am going to order 5 of the 1" x 3" brass drain tubes from them. Total is $13.75 with free shipping.
Not to bad of a price.
I did see the UV inhibited epoxy on their site. That should make alot of epoxy fan's really happy.

Decker83

Commander

Hello Gentlemen,
I did place a order with Raka Inc. The drain tubes I ordered were delivered in about 5 days counting the weekend. I was very pleased with them. They gave me a confirmation email for my order and one for ship date.

We had great weather last week from Monday to Thursday and then on Friday the rain came in and it stayed untill Sunday morning.
Didn't do much on the boat but did presure test the gas tank I have for under the deck. It seamed to hold about 5 lbs for 24 hours.
I was good with that.

Can't complain about the rain to much, we really needed it and we didn't have any real bad storms just a good rain, I had about 3" here.

Hope the rest of you good people had a more productive weekend.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Glad you had some rain and not nasty storms...

The boat is looking really good, I had missed the last set of pics...it is coming together nice...

5psi for 24 hours, sounds good to me, too...

I'm gonna check out Raka Inc...

Excellent idea on the PB Pastry Bag...

Have a great week Decker...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Decker, gunna try and make time to read back from the start of your project! Gunna tag along if you got room for a rookie crew member! Nice glassing and fab work you got going there!:cool:
See ya S.P.

Decker83

Commander

Thanks GT1M

Welcome aboard S.P. any and all welcome. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Decker83

Commander

Well, if the rain lets up in the next few days I will finnish fabricating the fuel tank box. I have the parts cut out and need to put it together and glass it.

One question about the raw fiberglass in the fuel tank box. Does it need to be coated with gelcoat or some other material or just left as raw fiberglass.

jbcurt00

Staff member

BilgeKote is an option

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend either BilgeKote(Gasoline Resistant) or GelCoat. Would not leave it bare. R U lovin the Rain as much as me!!!! My lake is gunna fill up I Think/Hope!!!!

Decker83

Commander

Thanks JB and Wood. I think I will use the gelcoat.

Yeah I do like the rain. Need it badly here. Just don't like the storms that come with it.
Some of the lakes have come up quit a bit in the last month. Still need more.

rickryder

Commander

Nice job Decker! I did the same trick with the PB and ziploc bag. Make quick work of laying a bead of PB. A big metal spoon dipped in acetone makes a nice fillet too ;)

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great job Decker your work looks clean and neat and good idea with the ziploc and the PB. Thanks for sharing the idea.

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking great! Before you know it you will be in the water, keep up the good work!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you get some Rain?? We sure did!!!!!:D My favorite lake is 9' low so I'm hopin she'll come up a bit. Looking forward to seeing some progress pics of your project.

Decker83

Commander

Nice job Decker! I did the same trick with the PB and ziploc bag. Make quick work of laying a bead of PB. A big metal spoon dipped in acetone makes a nice fillet too ;)

I do like the spoon ideal too.

Decker83

Commander

First I would like to say thanks to Trooper for his input and comments. I didn't mean to miss you but I have a one track mind. (that's when my mind is working) :facepalm:

Thanks Jon Sob and South Texan for the comments.. It's kinda funny about the zip lock bags, a long time back I use to lay up the culture stone (man made) on fire places. We would use a vinyl bag with a metal tip to fill the cracks between the stone with mortar. It worked good for this so I thought the zip lock bags would work for the PB.

Wood are lakes have filled up and some or over filled in East Texas. Some of the lakes or still down in West Texas. Hope the rain brings your lake back up to full level.

So I have some pics for all of you that are interested. I tell you that my old body says I must have worked two weeks straight but the work I did says I only worked a couple of days.:eek:

Here is where I finnished putting in the storage boxes. I mixed up about 1/2 gallon of PB and spread it on the transom and sides of boxes and set them in place. They feel very solid and have a nice solid sound when I tap them with a hammer.
100_2333.jpg

100_2334.jpg

I also have built a fuel cell compartment for the under deck fuel tank. Used almost a sheet of 3/4 x 4 x 8 plywood.
Put it together and did the fillets and started the glassing. I was only able to get the ends and bottom done today. It took some work to go over the 2x2 braces on the bottom. I have the 1.5 csm and then a layer of the 1708.
100_2325.jpg

100_2328.jpg

I didn't have any air bubbles but it took alot of work.

Decker83

Commander

Here is a pic of the bottom of the fuel cell box.
100_2332.jpg

This is a pic of the compartment between the storage boxes. This will be filled with pour in foam.
100_2335.jpg

I have some gel coat from us composite coming on Monday so I will be able to coat the inside of the fuel cell box and the bilge area this week if it dosn't rain me out.

Thanks for looking. Hope everone had a good weekend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Decker
Your Grandkids, When they are your age, will be enjoying the TANK, that you are building. VERY NICE WORK!!!!!

rickryder

Commander

Thats lookin great!

Trooper82

Commander

Yup nice progress decker. Like your idea to make a box for the gas tank.

Looking real good!

Decker83

Commander

Hello to everyone here.
Have done alittle more work this last weekend. Here or some pic's for the pic lovers. :)

Here is the fuel cell box I drilled 3 holes at each end to allow any water to drain out, if any does get in.
100_2338.jpg

Here I have put 2 coats of gel coat on the inside. I also used PB with alot of chop strand in it and coated the holes using pipe cleaners. I also used the same method to coat the holes with gel coat.
The first gel coat I applied was without wax and then as it started to get real tacky I put the 2nd coat with wax. It did very well.
100_2348.jpg

I also did the same thing on the transom and bilge area.
100_2340.jpg

I also went down the keel with gel coat. The way the foam in the boat was done it didn't have foam there.
100_2339.jpg