1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Hello Decker,

All I can say after reading your past 26 months of work is WOW! You sir have some real dedication. I am very interested in more of your rebuild along with pictures. I like how you put so much attention to any of your work you set forth, wither it be carpentry, glass work, metal fab, even cleaning. Talk about a man of all trades!

It seems you just about have every tool to get the job done, along with the laser thingy; wish I had as much tools to work with as you.

My only 2 cents is I was always told that primer holds moisture, and make sure not to leave it exposed too long or along comes the rust from underneath; so with all the rain you have had it makes me wonder.

Good luck and I'll be watching for more.

N8

Thanks for your kind words.. It has been a long time into this. I thought I would be finished by now..:facepalm:

I was lucky to be the son of a home builder growing up. Alot of what I learned was working with my dad.. He built homes from the ground up and no prefab kitchen cabinets.. Made them all from 4x8x3/4 sheets of ash plywood.. He did all but the electrical, plumbing and foundation work and we did the rest.. Alot of the tools I have from him and I have aquired quite a few over the last 60s years..

The rust was coming after I did the sandblasting and before I could get it painted..
Thanks for your input and Welcome aboard n8ve1..

Decker83

Commander

Ok Gentlemen,
Now for some bad news about the $50.00 Majic Rust Preventative Sandable Primer..

I would not use the stuff ever again.. I sprayed the trailer on 6/16/13 and it's 6/23/13 and I can still take my finger nail and scrape the paint down to bare metal.. I measured out the paint in 160z and used 1oz reducer (majic). It sprays very well and looks great but will not dry.. Even the padle blade I used on my drill motor is still wet and gummy..
I have did a little research online and found quite of few horror storys about this primer and the regular primer..

I have never in my life used anything this bad.. I have used all types of primers in my sheetmetals days and nothing like this..
I have read some people said to let it dry for up to 3 weeks, but after all the work in sandblasting the trailer down to bare metal I just can't trust this paint to do its job..

I am going to get some paint stripper tomorrow and start at it again.. I don't think it will take much to strip as it would to try to sandblast..

I almost forgot I used acetone to wipe down the trailer before I sprayed the trailer.. I am 100% sure there were no type of oil or grease or any other contaminants that would have caused this..

If it was my spraying method then this paint is way out of my league to spray..

Hope to have it stripped and primed agian by this weekend.. Think I will go with the tried and true Rust-oleum..

Hope everyone has a great week..:D

Trooper82

Commander

That is a real bummer Decker....

i know that my trailer took a couple weeks to feel good and cured...and even yet I get a spot that will scrape off if not careful...

Decker83

Commander

That is a real bummer Decker....

i know that my trailer took a couple weeks to feel good and cured...and even yet I get a spot that will scrape off if not careful...

I understand scraped paint.. My utility trailer is painted with rusto and it will scrape, but this stuff is still wet.. Can't sand it or it just gums up in balls and loads up on the paper..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow, Decker...that sounds horrible...really sorry to hear this.
Sounds like something is wrong with the chemical make up of this stuff...
Since you are going back to bare metal, have you given any thought to using Ospho?
Best of luck on the second attempt...

Decker83

Commander

I'll call the MFG tomorrow and see what their techs have to say.

Or You can too...
Contact Us - Majic Paints

Majic Paints
1920 Leonard Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43219
Local: (614) 253-8511 Toll Free: (800) 848-1898
Fax: (614) 258-3062
Email: info@majicpaints.com

I am done with this brand of paint.. I don't really care what they have to say..
I won't use it again..

Edit: Didn't mean to be so abrupt about my statement.. I reall do appreciate any and all of your help WOOD..
I am just very frustrated with this paint and don't trust it..

Decker83

Commander

Wow, Decker...that sounds horrible...really sorry to hear this.
Sounds like something is wrong with the chemical make up of this stuff...
Since you are going back to bare metal, have you given any thought to using Ospho?
Best of luck on the second attempt...

I looked into the Ospho when you suggested it earlier in the thread. I just didn't want to wait to order it.
I just looked at budski's thread and he used the Valspar primer and rustoleum and his looks great.. Just like I want mine to look.
He took his trailer down to bare metal with a grinder..

I agree with you about this paint.. Buyer beware..

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Decker you're doing a heck of a job on both the boat and trailer, to bad about the primer, as I said next time I use valspar anti rust primer I'll thin it out more with acetone, took longer than I thought to dry, felt pretty dry when I painted it hope it was.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've not used the primer you used but I've used the Paint over Rustoleums Clean Metal Primer and it worked Great. Just like Rustoleum Acrylic enamel.
I am still gunna call em and get the low down and then I'm gunna do some experimenting myself. Something Chemically wrong here IMHO.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hear about the primer problems Decker .. I have used the Rusto Clean Metal and the Valspar Oil based metal primer and both so far have worked out well ..

D

Deleted member 340796

Oh Decker, I am sad and pissed for you. I can't believe the nightmare you are having with the primer. Not like you have not already put enough hours into this project. You poor guy. Wish I was still in Dallas so I could come help you. I know you still have your chin up, cause that is the kind of guy you are. Keep chugging along. aj

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK, I finally got to speak to the Lead Tech @ Majic Paints in Ohio. I explained the situation on your Trailer painting fiasco. He was at a loss for an explanation. I told him that I had been recommending this paint here on the forum and was disappointed in this failure and he is sending me a quart of the primer and the reducer for me to test. His only assumption was a bad mix on the primer and therefore it had no ability to cure properly. Wanted to know if it was shaken and stirred properly before it was sprayed. I said, Absolutely. He is going to have the factory send me a fresh mixed batch to ensure there wasn't a "Shelf Life" issue etc. When I receive it I'll follow his instructions to the letter and use it to prime my utility trailer and post the results. I'll follow the same procedure you used and thin it 10% and then lay down a cover coat and then walk away and let it cure for 4 hours and see what happens. When I do this with the rustoleum I can "Lay Hands" on it and come up clean. I told him that too! He said I should be able to do the same with his product. We'll see what happens. I will say he was truly concerned and spoke with me for over 30 mins going over all the proper procedures which were almost exactly as I have posted on my thread. He wants to hear back on the results. Told him I would make sure and let him know how it turns out but you were moving on with another product. He understood.

Decker83

Commander

Hey Decker you're doing a heck of a job on both the boat and trailer, to bad about the primer, as I said next time I use valspar anti rust primer I'll thin it out more with acetone, took longer than I thought to dry, felt pretty dry when I painted it hope it was.
Thanks budski.. Yours is looking excellent too..

I've not used the primer you used but I've used the Paint over Rustoleums Clean Metal Primer and it worked Great. Just like Rustoleum Acrylic enamel.
I am still gunna call em and get the low down and then I'm gunna do some experimenting myself. Something Chemically wrong here IMHO.

I have a gallon of the gloss white and the hardner. I may try a sample of the gloss white and see if it will work.. I need to find a date stamp on the can before I open it and see if the shelf life has expired..

Sorry to hear about the primer problems Decker .. I have used the Rusto Clean Metal and the Valspar Oil based metal primer and both so far have worked out well ..

Bought the Rusto Clean Metal primer and I like it.. Thanks for the tip SP..

Oh Decker, I am sad and pissed for you. I can't believe the nightmare you are having with the primer. Not like you have not already put enough hours into this project. You poor guy. Wish I was still in Dallas so I could come help you. I know you still have your chin up, cause that is the kind of guy you are. Keep chugging along. aj

Thanks AJJMH.. I could have used the help.. Have it under control now I HOPE..:D

OK, I finally got to speak to the Lead Tech @ Majic Paints in Ohio. I explained the situation on your Trailer painting fiasco. He was at a loss for an explanation. I told him that I had been recommending this paint here on the forum and was disappointed in this failure and he is sending me a quart of the primer and the reducer for me to test. His only assumption was a bad mix on the primer and therefore it had no ability to cure properly. Wanted to know if it was shaken and stirred properly before it was sprayed. I said, Absolutely. He is going to have the factory send me a fresh mixed batch to ensure there wasn't a "Shelf Life" issue etc. When I receive it I'll follow his instructions to the letter and use it to prime my utility trailer and post the results. I'll follow the same procedure you used and thin it 10% and then lay down a cover coat and then walk away and let it cure for 4 hours and see what happens. When I do this with the rustoleum I can "Lay Hands" on it and come up clean. I told him that too! He said I should be able to do the same with his product. We'll see what happens. I will say he was truly concerned and spoke with me for over 30 mins going over all the proper procedures which were almost exactly as I have posted on my thread. He wants to hear back on the results. Told him I would make sure and let him know how it turns out but you were moving on with another product. He understood.

Haven't been on in a while.. Did they send you some primer... Never did think it could be shelf life that may be the problem.
When I mixed the paint I could tell alot of the paint had separated and the bottom had about 1" of thick pigments.. I had to stir it with
my drill motor and a paddle for about 15 minutes to get a consistent color and thickness..

I hate murphy!!!!!

ME TOO!!!!!!:facepalm:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry about the issues with the primer.. Murphy stopped by for a quick visit at my house this weekend too... However, some of my good friends on here helped me show him the door...

I used the Majic Paint on my interior (over Rusto bare metal primer)... I have been very happy with the Rusto primer... Dries quickly, easy to sand out the bumps... Takes a top coat well. I had some extra Majic paint that I left in an open pale (it had already been mixed with reducer and hardener and so I did want to put it back in the main bucket). 2 weeks later it was still wet in the pale. However, it dried pretty quickly on the deck and gunwale surfaces.. Who knows? Look forward to you kicking Murphy in the ***** and moving on down the river...

Take care.
rpm

Decker83

Commander

Been a week now and have new update..
Made a small 10'x10' frame out of the old 10'x20' cover and put some bule tarps on it for some shade.
Used some Kleen-Strip for metal and removed all the primer.. The Kleen-Strip cleans up with water so instead of using the putty knife to remove the paint, I used my pressure washer.. It worked very well and I didn't get any spray back on me that burned..

Here is the pics.. Strip down..

And now with the Rusto Clean Metal Primer.. This worked great.. Primer was almost dry to touch where I started when I finished the last spray..

And now we have white..:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, so he did say that if there was a lot of separation in the primer that this could cause the problem but... If you mixed it it should have been ok however, I have seen paint that once the components separated that it was almost impossible to get a good mix again. When I get the primer I'm gunna shoot my utility trailer with it and see what happens and I'll make sure that I check to see if there's any separation in the can. I've never had issues with the Rusty CMP, and like you it has always dried fast and sands like a dream. If the Majic does not pan out, I may be going back to good ol' Rusty!!!!;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Very pleased to see the paint issue has worked out...nice job!