1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Have a question for you gentlemen?? Want to flip my hull soon and need to know alternatives I have for some kind of protection
between the hull and the cradle..
I know about the carpet but has anyone used something different.. Like heavy cardboard or styrofoam..

Any ideals will be appreciated..:juggle:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Duct tape and Blankets!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Used tires...with a blanket or two for extra cushioning...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for the response WOG and GT1M..
I have been pondering about this for a week or two.. I think I will just repair the trailer and put it back on it.
This way any money I would have spent on some type of protection can be spent on the trailer.
Makes sence to me..

Have a question about the trailer.. I hate the platforms that have been added to the front of the trailer..
I know the purpose is to stand on when at the ramp to keep me out of the water if I need to winch the boat up on the trailer.

Just how much use do you gentlemen think I would use them.. I want to cut them off and be able to add a folding jack stand..
What do you think..
Here are some pics.

Trooper82

Commander

I say cut them if you aren't happy with them...recall that is what I did with the guides on mine...and have to agree...dinero spent in the right direction is always a plus...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look like a great place to lacerate a shin or 2 when around the trailer & NOT standing on 'em...........

If you can stand the asymmetrical look, you could leave 1 & cut the other to make room for the jack.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Me personally, I usually get my feet wet no matter what, so to me they are not really necessary...I suppose if you live in a cold climate and don't want to get your feet wet, plus have outstanding balance to walk the plank [of which neither apply to me...:rolleyes:], then I suppose you could get some use out of them...
And I gotta say, I love my fold away jack, saves from having to crank the thing all the way up and down all the time...
So my vote is cut 'em off, spend your bucks on trailer goodies and toss that boat up on there...:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Me personally, I usually get my feet wet no matter what, so to me they are not really necessary...I suppose if you live in a cold climate

Being in the northland, during the winter, I usually walk out onto my trailer to hook up. Summertime, getting in the water to hook up, yup.

Seeing how you basically skip all the cold/snowy stuff, I'd suggest you won't need those platforms. Unless you are wearing some fancy glasser guy boating shoes er something eh:becky:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Lose 'em... You can always put a little piece of diamond plate (non skid) on top and in the triangle at the very front (as opposed to having them flared out)... That would give you a little place to stand if you ever wanted it... Just a thought..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You don't need no stinkin platforms!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Just get the Admiral to hook it up and keep your feet dry .. :rolleyes::D
Fold away jacks are great !

Decker83

Commander

Just want to say thanks guys for all your input.. Looks like the platforms will have to go..

Jasoutside you'll have to forgive me but I only wear tinny shoes..

Did some work this weekend and removed the bunks and all the other stuff.. Have the axle bolts undone but didn't have help
to lift the trailer off them..

Going to start a thread in the trailer section..

Here are a few pics..

Hope everyone has a good week..

Trooper82

Commander

Looks better already Decker!

Have ya decided on a color for the trailer? Maybe you mentioned it before and I just forgot?

Anyhow...you have a good week to brutha!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Trailer looks better already...:thumb:

Have an awesome week!

Decker83

Commander

Looks better already Decker!

Have ya decided on a color for the trailer? Maybe you mentioned it before and I just forgot?

Anyhow...you have a good week to brutha!

The Admiral has stated it will be white..:D So with that said it will be white with black pin stripe.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Can,t wait to see it all painted up Decker . I know it,s just a trailer but it sure feels good knowin ya got a good set a wheels under all that hard work you did on the boat !

Decker83

Commander

Can,t wait to see it all painted up Decker . I know it,s just a trailer but it sure feels good knowin ya got a good set a wheels under all that hard work you did on the boat !

You sure got that right SP.. Can't wait to get the trailer back under the boat..

Decker83

Commander

I was able to do some more work today until the rain set in.. Need to move the trailer back around to the front of the house so I can do some welding on the trailer..

Cut off the roller guides on the side of the trailer and the coupler.. Turned the trailer over and found some rust holes at the lowest point of the cross members.. Who ever set this trailer up didn't leave any way for water to get out..

Here are some pics..

This is the worst one I will need to repair..

If it doesn't rain me out I will add some 2"x1/4" flat bar over the bad spots and weld them in solid..

Have a great Memorial Day everyone..

Decker83

Commander

Hope everyone had a safe and happy Memorial..

Worked on the trailer.. Did some welding to fill all the bolt holes that were not being used and did the repair to the cross members..
Alot of grinding and just about finished the bottom side of the trailer for the welding part..
Just some pics..