1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

First I want to thank you guys for all of your positive comments.. Trooper, Jbc and Sphelps..
Its been a while since my last post here..
I have spent soo many hours on sanding this hull that I'm not as motivated as I was last year...:noidea::redface::violin:
I did decide to go at it again this weekend and have the hull sanded down with 1200 grit wet/dry..
That really feels good to be at this stage..

Now I need to go over the hull and find all the places that need to be touched up with gel..
If the weather holds out this week and doesn't rain me out, maybe I can get everything preped for the touchup spray..

Here or some pics of the hull sanded and washed off with the pressure washer..

BTW I did have to replace the HF pressure washer...

Hope everyone has a good and fast week..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Decker, that hull looks absolutely amazing!
I completely understand your feeling of burnout, but the end result is going to be so WORTH IT!
It really does look incredibly beautiful!
The bar has once again been raised!:D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ha! I thought I had a bad case of OCD... until I saw this!:laugh:

That hull looks good to go as is, flip her over and have a go at building the innards now.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great Decker, maybe it's just hard to see in the pix, but you 'need' to do a touch up spray?

Trooper82

Commander

Decker that turned out fantastic...and you haven't even buffed it yet...gonna look so sweet!!!

weather will warm up and get you back in the mood...been a long dreary winter...and this slow spring is not helping much....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful looking hull Decker touch up or not ! Makes me think maybe I should have gone with gell on mine !

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That hull looks good to go as is, flip her over and have a go at building the innards now.

Seriously. You're obsessing over stuff now that you'll NEVER SEE!! It looks amazing now, nice work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If that hull needs touching up, then I'm sure of it now...You ARE more of a Perfectionist than I am!!!!!! You are gunna have to post some close ups of some MAJOR hickeys to convince me you're not ready to buff and flip. I'm just Sayin....

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

If that hull needs touching up, then I'm sure of it now...You ARE more of a Perfectionist than I am!!!!!! You are gunna have to post some close ups of some MAJOR hickeys to convince me you're not ready to buff and flip. I'm just Sayin....

I'm going to have to second (or third) this... Unless the hickeys are visible above the water line, then its time to flip that burger...

Decker83

Commander

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3747663884.html

Admiral says its a go.. Should I pull the triger on this... Have I lost my mind...

All I really want is the big ole fiberglass console in it.. I could probably get $100.00 for the trailer and maybe $200.00 to $300.00 for the motor if it does run and then I think I could get maybe $200.00 FOR THE SCRAP ALUMINUM...

Don't tell Jasoutside..:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Only if you promise to FLIP THAT HULL And go to work on the Top Side!!!!:D

Decker83

Commander

Decker, that hull looks absolutely amazing!
I completely understand your feeling of burnout, but the end result is going to be so WORTH IT!
It really does look incredibly beautiful!
The bar has once again been raised!:D

Thanks GT.. I think as much as your doing You are the 1 setting the bar way up High..

Ha! I thought I had a bad case of OCD... until I saw this!:laugh:

I really appreciate the positive comments..

Looks great Decker, maybe it's just hard to see in the pix, but you 'need' to do a touch up spray?

Thanks again jbc.. Believe me I do have touch ups..

Decker that turned out fantastic...and you haven't even buffed it yet...gonna look so sweet!!!

weather will warm up and get you back in the mood...been a long dreary winter...and this slow spring is not helping much....

Thanks Trooper.. The water does make it shine.. Sure hope it buffs out good..

Beautiful looking hull Decker touch up or not ! Makes me think maybe I should have gone with gell on mine !

Sp I was looking over in the trailer threads at your boat.. I will be extremely PROUD if mime turns out looking half as good as yours..

Seriously. You're obsessing over stuff now that you'll NEVER SEE!! It looks amazing now, nice work.

EZ I do tend to over do things sometimes, but I have a few places that do need touch ups.. Thanks for your comments..

Wood you are the man.. I can't begin to keep up with you..:D
I will get you up some pics real soon..

I'm going to have to second (or third) this... Unless the hickeys are visible above the water line, then its time to flip that burger...

PMC thanks for the comments.. The hickeys or there and I will show them.. They really do need to be fixed..

Thanks again to all of you gentlemen.. Hope Friday is short one so we can get to the real work..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yea go ahead and scrap the hull the world needs more beer cans .. :rolleyes::lol:

Trooper82

Commander

Could you justmake an offer on the console? Since it needs installed on that one any how?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Once you go tin, well.... Better put your thinkin' cap on: :tinfoil3:

7 of 9* SC captains favor keeping the SC hull. You know, just in case.... Assimilate & join the collective*... :suspicious:

* Vague poorly worded Borg references not withstanding, if you can pilfer a tinny & accomplish your goals, please do so. If they can we can too {normally I'd insert a group hug icon here, but as glasser's that's way too much itchy & scratchy}

Just try to unload the tin hull rather then making more beer cans.... That's what the AL mine is for. Don't make 'em like this anymore:
3Ia3M63J15L85F85J9d4g26be9808ac8b17dd.jpg

rrumba

Ensign

Nice work on the gelcoat. you sure have more ambition than i do to attempt that. It looks great with holidays or not. THe fish might be your worst critics from below while they are stunned and amazed. Now you can take care of the topside and make it your masterpiece. You are doing an excellent job.

You know you want to (go tinnny), the kool aid is gooooooooooodddddddddddddddd. Once you have it and take out the center console you have all the makings of another boat with some side consoles. In fact there are probably some guys on here that would be able to help you out with those consoles.

It's time to take a drink.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

1970 Starcraft 18ft aluminum deep V boat Evinrude 115 & trailer

Admiral says its a go.. Should I pull the triger on this... Have I lost my mind...

All I really want is the big ole fiberglass console in it.. I could probably get $100.00 for the trailer and maybe $200.00 to $300.00 for the motor if it does run and then I think I could get maybe $200.00 FOR THE SCRAP ALUMINUM...

Don't tell Jasoutside..:D

I don't know, but with approval from the Admiralty, it sure would be a nice looking "back-burner" project...:crazy:crazy, yeah, prolly...:eyebrows:L8r...:whistle:

Decker83

Commander

Well guys after looking closer at the SC, I don't think the console would work out for me..
The steering wheel is on the left side and my controls would not work without alot of modification..

So I guess I could pull the triger and just keep the SC and sell the console..:D
As much as I love my glasser, I would never just destroy a good aluminum boat for scrap..

Here or some pics of today..

Hope to do some buffing tomorrow..

Have a good rest of the weekend..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Way to go Decker, looks like you got your touch ups done...but...

UGH!, as usual I am late to the party...:sorry::facepalm:

Well, here goes anyway..maybe it will help in a similar future situation...

OK, hopefully I can explain this in words, because I don't have any pics or sketches handy...

This is a trick the painter uses when he needs to touch up or do a partial blend to an area...

When masking the area to be done, the tape is only put down half sticky side down, half sticky side folded up and away, then the masking paper is applied to that folded up and away part...

The method to this madness is it keeps the fresh touch up paint from creating a hard edge against the tape, instead it creates a tapered edge to the paint, which is easier to blend away when sanding the area to match...

Hold on, I will try to sketch up what I mean...

Hope this gets the general idea across...

Any questions, holler...:)