1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Congrats on getting some gelly coat laid down... Looks great in the pics... With your attention to detail, I am sure the final finish will be awesome... Hope you got some rest yesterday...

Have a good week!

~pmc

rrumba

Ensign

nice job with the gel and congrats on getting "some" on. now the fun part and the other side. sounds like you still need a few more coats if it s thin enough to sand through. is there a friend or anyone who can lend you hand? If i was by you i would jump all over it.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great Decker. Not an expert opinion but I would venture to say that you are going a bit aggressive on the paper, probably part of the sand through issue. I wet sanded, used less paper but got killed with scratches, especially with lower grits. I used 220 only on the spots that I had runs. Heavy peel I started with 320 and light peel was 500. I went from 500 to 800 and then 1000. Probably overkill but it compounds out pretty well at 1000.

I also underestimated the gel requirement, lucky I had a local supplier. I wound up using 5 gal. neutral and 3 gal. white I think. I would imagine I wasted 3/4 gal of neutral and 1/2 gal white minimum though.

I hit a couple bumps much like you and Trooper have. If I can offer any help via practical experience, let me know. Once again, looking great.

D

Deleted member 340796

Decker, I think it is looking great. Keep up the great work. I know you are tired but the work will pay off soon. Hang in there. :D

Sure glad I painted :facepalm:

Trooper82

Commander

Decker..in your details you mention pinholes..I also ran into some of those...had read about them, but thought I was good to go..where I sanded the edges of the chines I had a spot about 8" long that was full of little holes...I read that you should run a light fairing coat on any exposed glass...can't wait to see the other side..If I was closer I'd be there in a minute to help out...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

A trick I heard or read about, I have actually done it while applying 2 part epoxy filler/primer...when brushing or spraying, if you see pin holes...have a bondo spreader handy and smoosh the gel into them, then carry on...;)

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for the great detail on your spraying experience. I know it will help many down the road. Sure gives me some things to think about.

Several questions:

1) What was the temperature when you were spraying?

2) You seem to be starting with a more course grit than I thought the experts talk about. I thought 300 was the starting point. Is the course grit working OK?

BTW, I'm 63, so don't worry about starring in the video.

Sea ya...
Hey CK. Hope anything I said helps. The temps were in the mid 80's when I started to spray.
The guy I spoke with @ US Composites said 77 degress was ideal. With wax added do NOT spray below 70. With PVA you could get by at 70. This was also him telling me to reduce the gel by 10 to 15% with styrene. I didn't use the styrene this time.
I had the 180 gritt PSA disk on a roll that was left over from a old car I repainted. It seam to cut fine.
I also have some 320 grit I may start with on the other side.
Saw your pic with GT1M, you still look like a young man. The project your taking on is incredible.

Congrats on getting some gelly coat laid down... Looks great in the pics... With your attention to detail, I am sure the final finish will be awesome... Hope you got some rest yesterday...

Have a good week!

~pmc

Thanks PMC. I just went in and crashed that night. Going to try and get everything ready this week and shoot again this coming Saturday. With it getting dark here at 6:00 pm I'll have to be like OOPs and break out the flood lights.:D Really like all your great work on tiny. May just have to break down and drink the kool aid on the next one myself. Want a 22 ft starcraft v5.

nice job with the gel and congrats on getting "some" on. now the fun pTart and the other side. sounds like you still need a few more coats if it s thin enough to sand through. is there a friend or anyone who can lend you hand? If i was by you i would jump all over it.

Thanks for the offer rrumba, I could use the help. Have a son in law but depends on his work schedule. But I don't want to wait for him. I think the spot I sanded thru was a repair area I did and I didn't sand down the glass to allow for the gel. That was the only place I went thru. I will sand it down some more before I reshoot it. Can't wait to get this part done and flip the hull back over.

Looks great Decker. Not an expert opinion but I would venture to say that you are going a bit aggressive on the paper, probably part of the sand through issue. I wet sanded, used less paper but got killed with scratches, especially with lower grits. I used 220 only on the spots that I had runs. Heavy peel I started with 320 and light peel was 500. I went from 500 to 800 and then 1000. Probably overkill but it compounds out pretty well at 1000.

I also underestimated the gel requirement, lucky I had a local supplier. I wound up using 5 gal. neutral and 3 gal. white I think. I would imagine I wasted 3/4 gal of neutral and 1/2 gal white minimum though.

I hit a couple bumps much like you and Trooper have. If I can offer any help via practical experience, let me know. Once again, looking great.

Hey Gator I appreciate the offer. The 180 I used did cut fast. but I only sanded until it was smooth and stopped. The sand thru was in a area I had a repair on the hull. I think I got it fingered out now. Trying to find some good sanding blocks for wet sanding. Think I'll try what GT1M did and use some styrofoam blocks.
I do appreciate all the help I can get from anyone of you kind gentlemen.

Decker, I think it is looking great. Keep up the great work. I know you are tired but the work will pay off soon. Hang in there. :D

Sure glad I painted :facepalm:

Thanks AJJMH. Yeah, I'm a desk jockey and not used to such punishment. Used to be a sheetmetal mechanic for years but that was 21 years ago.

Decker..in your details you mention pinholes..I also ran into some of those...had read about them, but thought I was good to go..where I sanded the edges of the chines I had a spot about 8" long that was full of little holes...I read that you should run a light fairing coat on any exposed glass...can't wait to see the other side..If I was closer I'd be there in a minute to help out...

Hey Trooper Thanks for the offer. I sure could use your help here. You shot your complete hull in one day. :D
I seam to remember reading the same thing about the pin holes. As much sanding as I did on the hull before I sprayed I thought I had all the little holes taken care of. I only had a few in a couple of places.
One good thing. I can find them for sure now. May mix up some gel with the 3m glass bubbles and fill them in. May just sand them out and reshoot.
Yeah I'm alittle excited about getting it all sprayed by this weekend. With all the things I have read and watched on youtube I was kinda confussed about it all. Now with a little taste of it I think I will do much better this coming weekend. YD and ondarvr helped me out a great deal. Two different views but both were spot on in what they said. I tried to take the best from both of them.
Oh by the way I received a box today. Will shoot you a PM. Thanks for your support.

Decker83

Commander

A trick I heard or read about, I have actually done it while applying 2 part epoxy filler/primer...when brushing or spraying, if you see pin holes...have a bondo spreader handy and smoosh the gel into them, then carry on...;)

That's a good tip. Didn't even think about something that easy. Hindsight is always 20/20.;)

Thanks for your detailed response to my PM. I think the old DA has some really bad bearings. It's a Campbell Hausfeld and new only about $60.00 today. Don't think it's worth repairing.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

That's a good tip. Didn't even think about something that easy. Hindsight is always 20/20.;)

Thanks for your detailed response to my PM. I think the old DA has some really bad bearings. It's a Campbell Hausfeld and new only about $60.00 today. Don't think it's worth repairing.

You're welcome, Sir...

Might be worth fixin if you can find a bearing for a few bucks...??? At the very least, it would make a good back-up...:redface:

D

Deleted member 340796

Oh it seems hindsight is more like 20/100 ;) too bad we are not privy to that before it becomes hindsight. :mad:

Decker83

Commander

Oh it seems hindsight is more like 20/100 ;) too bad we are not privy to that before it becomes hindsight. :mad:

That is so true. Wish I could figure out just how to do that.

Decker83

Commander

I just got home and found another 5 gallons of prue white gel coat and 1 gallon of the styrene.
I have maybe 1 good day of this three day weekend to do some more spraying.
It's suppost to be in the upper 70's tomorrow but winds in the 25 to 30 mph.
Then Sunday its going to rain and Monday turn cold. In the 60's. For you gentlemen up North I know this is not cold.
But when spraying gel out side it's to cold. :eek:

Going to try somethings alittle different on the spray. Going to try some small plastic bags to use as a liner inside the presure pot. Hope this will cut down on the acetone use. If any of you have tried this and it didn't work let me know.

I used about 1 gallon of acetone for cleaning the spray gun and the lines and pot for 1 gallon of gel.
At that rate I could have paid for the G100 Dump gun on US Composites and used maybe 1/2 gallon of acetone.

If the plastic bags don't work out then I am going to buy the Dump gun and when through spraying with it sell it on CG or Ebay.
Also going to use the styrene to reduce the gel and see how well it will spray.

More on all this tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Trooper82

Commander

I here you on using all that acetone...I plan on reusing what I used last weekend....you can test the liner deal out with just some water to see what happens...it could try and suck it up the puckup tube...

Decker83

Commander

I have thought about that happening and I'm more worried about the plastic disintergrating in the pot. I hope the presure will hold the plastic tight to the pot until it gets low.
I have a bucket full of used acetone from last week that I can use. Just trying to save some time on the clean up.
Let you know if it works, because if it doesn't I'm going to stop and get the G100 gun.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've used em a lot with Paint but never with Gel. They work great with paint. Here's hoping they'll do the same with GEL!!!!:D

Decker83

Commander

I've used em a lot with Paint but never with Gel. They work great with paint. Here's hoping they'll do the same with GEL!!!!:D

Thanks WOG that's what I wanted to hear. I will test to see if the plastic will hold up to the gel and not desolve it and then give it a try.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks WOG that's what I wanted to hear. I will test to see if the plastic will hold up to the gel and not desolve it and then give it a try.

Well chemically isn't gelcoat similar to poly resin? ZipLocks for fillets w/ PB seem to hold up don't they? Do they sell the plastic liners for the pressure pot:
image_14949.jpg

Hoping you & Troop have great weather for shooting the gel!

Decker83

Commander

Well chemically isn't gelcoat similar to poly resin? ZipLocks for fillets w/ PB seem to hold up don't they? Do they sell the plastic liners for the pressure pot:
image_14949.jpg

Hoping you & Troop have great weather for shooting the gel!

I have seen them on line and I think Sherwin Williams carries them. Tried to call them the other day but didn't get a answer on the phone.

I am going to use all the plastic bags the Admiral brings home from the stores.

Decker83

Commander

Well gentlemen,
The wind was so high today I didn't even try to spray. I just did some more sanding and preping.
Just have to wait till the weather is right.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Trooper82

Commander

Well gentlemen,
The wind was so high today I didn't even try to spray. I just did some more sanding and preping.
Just have to wait till the weather is right.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Well bummer....was hoping you would be able to get some spray time in.....oh well, more prep is good...