1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Im thinking that 30 mils is a bit too much for one pass.

I like to spray gel with 4 passes leaving room for the 30 mils.

Gel is Not paint .. you cant do 2 spray passes with Gel.

A 2 Qt pressure pot from HF will spray this stuff nice enough. No reason to buy expensive guns for the application.

Overspray should be minimal due to the fact that your using a PP system and not a Grav or Suction setup.

You can dial it to where you want it.

YD.

Trooper82

Commander

How did you make out Decker? We are anxious!!

Trooper82

Commander

A 2 Qt pressure pot from HF will spray this stuff nice enough. No reason to buy expensive guns for the application.

Overspray should be minimal due to the fact that your using a PP system and not a Grav or Suction setup.

YD.

Sorry Decker, not meaning to hijack....

YD, you have me concerned with how I did the gel on mine today...could you pay a visit so we can discuss over there?

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just caught up on this thread too. Great work Decker. I never could find out what happened to you ankle, but I am glad to see you are back working on the boat. I knew once I got back on the forums, I would get the "itch" again.

J, I just wanted to say that I have learned so much from watching your videos on youtube from the start all the way to your swim deck and after seeing what you've done with your boat I would longer be afraid to tackle anything on my little Astroglass, you made tears come to my wife and my eyes over your Moms passing which we saw yesterday for the first time, my Moms 91 and doing good, sorry for your loss.

We were so surprised when we saw your boat completed, it didn't look like the same boat, just a couple of questions if you will, how many gallon gas tank did you put in and how many bags of trash did you get out of the boat...

Respectfully

Decker83

Commander

YD.
Thanks for the advice YD. I didn't try to get 30 mil in one coat. I did about 3 coats that were heavy. Should have done in 4.

How did you make out Decker? We are anxious!!

Well I did get some of the hull sprayed today. Didn't have any help with me and I am bushed. I really mean BUSHED. This is almost to much for this old man.

Sorry Decker, not meaning to hijack....

YD, you have me concerned with how I did the gel on mine today...could you pay a visit so we can discuss over there?

No problem Trooper, I would ask all the questions I can anywhere I can.
I don't think you will have any problems. Man you did a great job. Much better than I did.

Decker83

Commander

I am not going into much detail tonight. I am really tried from all the work today.
I did get half of the hull done. Didn't have any help and I'm old and slow.
Also didn't order enough gel.
Here are some late night pics.
100_2547.jpg

100_2548.jpg

100_2549.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Excellent work Decker! Looks great from here in WV!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You guys are making me want to just jump right to the gel coating. Looks great.

Sea ya...

Trooper82

Commander

Decker we get an extra hour to recover tonight...That spray job looks great!...I see the PVA on there too..what did you think about the spraying of that? I was unsure how thick to spray it at first...I went then on second side due to fear of running out...It actually covered quite well.
Yes the help I had was good to have, I could have done it alone I think (hindsite) but like you, I'd be too tired to talk about it for a day ....again..Looks Great!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looking good Decker ! I bet working alone on something like this is very tiresome even some help with the air hose I think would have been helpful . Nothin worse than tangled up hose when your in a hurry..:eek:
BTW , is the greenish tint the pva ?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

WoW!!! Looks GRRRRRR-8!

I'll wait till you've gotten some well earned rest before I look for any answers to the previous inquiries...

You done SUPER!

Decker83

Commander

Excellent work Decker! Looks great from here in WV!

Thanks JB. Kinda wish I was there with you and someone else was doing all this work.

You guys are making me want to just jump right to the gel coating. Looks great.

Sea ya...

Hey CK just want to let you know there is very little over spray. My boat is 8' wide and there was only a little spray on the other side of the hull.
I had to reach way across to spray the keel and thats were most if not all of the over spray came from. If I would have been on top of the hull I don't think there would have been any.

With all that being said, the PVA sprays like water and you will get alot of overspray with it. So be careful when and if you use it.

Decker we get an extra hour to recover tonight...That spray job looks great!...I see the PVA on there too..what did you think about the spraying of that? I was unsure how thick to spray it at first...I went then on second side due to fear of running out...It actually covered quite well.
Yes the help I had was good to have, I could have done it alone I think (hindsite) but like you, I'd be too tired to talk about it for a day ....again..Looks Great!

Trooper like I said last night, you the man. I wish I did have help Saturday. Did what I could.
I sprayed the PVA with just a fine mist and held the gun about 18" away from the boat. I let it dry for 15 minutes and then sprayed a
heavier coat. The gallon bottle I bought said it would cover 500 sq ft.

Looking good Decker ! I bet working alone on something like this is very tiresome even some help with the air hose I think would have been helpful . Nothin worse than tangled up hose when your in a hurry..:eek:
BTW , is the greenish tint the pva ?

SP man I was tried and whipped like a old wet dog. I did alot earlier in the day to get set up. Didn't start to spray until about 3:00.
Yea the green tint is the PVA. It is some strange stuff to work with, more on that later.

WoW!!! Looks GRRRRRR-8!

I'll wait till you've gotten some well earned rest before I look for any answers to the previous inquiries...

You done SUPER!

GT1M, Thanks for the prase. I'm still sore from all this. Going to post some more but going to eat dinner now

Thanks to all of you for dropping in.

Trooper82

Commander

...I sprayed the PVA with just a fine mist and held the gun about 18" away from the boat. I let it dry for 15 minutes and then sprayed a heavier coat. The gallon bottle I bought said it would cover 500 sq ft.

Decker...now that I think about it, I bet I had the gun still set up for the gel, so I was spraying too thick with the PVA...maybe I should have changed to the HVLP? Maybe next time...

Decker83

Commander

Troop I just cut down on the fuild and went to town on the PVA. That was the easiest part.

Trooper82

Commander

Troop I just cut down on the fuild and went to town on the PVA. That was the easiest part.

I think I typed wrong...I was trying to say that I was not getting the 500 sq ft covrage, in part to how I had the gun setup...I noticed your PVA was much thinner than mine...I was just close to running out..

Decker83

Commander

Ok now that I have sprayed half the boat and sanded allmost half of that, this is what I think.

First the Sharpe spray gun has a 1.8 mil tip. With the pressure pot @ 15 psi and the gun with 40 to 60 psi I could spray way more fuild than the air could atomize.
Spraying the gel coat without any reducer will work but the gun has to be setup correctly. Too much gel and you get a really bad orange peel. When slowing the gel flow you can get a fairly nice spray, but it is a thin coat. (This is what YD meant about 4 passes) Gel coat will NOT flow out like paint. What you see is what you get when spraying.

I tried to spray with a heavy coat. I knew I could not spray 20 mil in one coat after the first minute of spraying.
By spraying so heavy I had alot of orange peel. This caused an uneven coat and made it harder to sand.
I also had a few places that I sanded through. This also causes you to have to sand alot more gel coat off to get the gel coat smoth. Alot of wasted gel.

Orange peel.
100_2551.jpg

Where I sanded through.
100_2552.jpg

I am still not sure about reducing the gel coat. But I did not like how the first spray turned out.
I bought my gel from US Composites and spoke with a man there and he said I should reduce with styrene @ 5 to 10%.
When I ask about the yellowing effect, He said if the styrene was old it may cause this, but their gel and styrene are all made by them and or new.
I think on my next spray I will try the styrene and see how it goes. If it helps get a better spray and I can put down 4 coats then it will be worth the chance. I also think if the maintenace is keep up. wash, polish and wax it could slow down the yellowing effect.
I think I'm going to reshoot the side of the hull again because of the sanding through.

I was under the impression that the gel would hide more defects than it actually will. I had a few places that need more prep. I also found several pinholes that I didn't see before starting to spray. The pinholes will not fill in when spraying. I read somewhere that you can use a roller or paint brush on these type problem areas first to fill in the pinholes and then spray. Maybe one of the more experienced gentlemen will have a better ideal on this.

I was spraying 1 quart at a time. The directions said to use 2oz mekp per 1 gallon of gel. I use just under 1/2oz mekp per quart.
I set a timer with 15 minutes on it. I could spray the quart in 10 minutes and gave me 5 minutes to clean the pot and gun. I didn't have any trouble with the gel kicking off in the gun.

The PVA is very interresting to use. It is water based and is easy to clean your spray equipment. Its a no brainer to spray. Just put a lite mist on first and hold the gun around 20" away from what your spraying. Let dry for 10 to 15 minutes and spray a heavy coat on. Should be about 2 to 4 mils thick.
The man at US Composites said I had about 1 hour window to spray on the PVA after the gel was sprayed. Told me to not spray it on with the gel coat still wet. Should be abe to touch the gel without leaving a finger print in the gel.

When I went out today I started to remove the PVA with some hot water and a rag. This worked very well. As I was sanding I noticed that the PVA was like a thin sheet of plastic. It would start to peel up. So I peeled the majority of it of and didn't use the water. I thought that was kinds cool. I also used a air blow gun and put it right against the hull and it blew off alot of the PVA.
I had no trouble sanding the gel coat. I used 180 grit on the DA and had no problem with it gumming the paper. I read in OOP's thread he was having this problem.

Have a few videos but have not yet down loaded them yet. Not sure if ya'll are ready to see this old man.
BTW I will turn 60 on next Tuesday. Who would have thunk I'd be doing something like this at 60!!!:eek:

100_2555.jpg

100_2554.jpg

Decker83

Commander

One other thing I did not mention. I way under estimated the amout of gel I would need. I bought 3 gallons and had about 1 quart left over from the fuel cell box.. I used 2 gallons on just half the hull. Will order some more this week.
When I did my research on how much a gallon would cover, I came up with 60 to 80 sq ft @ 20 mil. I went by that and forgot I wanted about 30 to 35 mil. I missed it by that much. :facepalm:

Trooper82

Commander

Nice details Decker...did you wet sand or go dry?

Decker83

Commander

Nice details Decker...did you wet sand or go dry?

I just went dry for now. Will go over it again with the 320 grit dry and then start the wet sanding.

BUT First I have to finnish spraying the hull. :eek:

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the great detail on your spraying experience. I know it will help many down the road. Sure gives me some things to think about.

Several questions:

1) What was the temperature when you were spraying?

2) You seem to be starting with a more course grit than I thought the experts talk about. I thought 300 was the starting point. Is the course grit working OK?

BTW, I'm 63, so don't worry about starring in the video.

Sea ya...