1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Wow, Decker...you are doing a fantastic job of fairing the hull...believe me when I say, I feel your pain...it is looking great, though, and it is a good personal feeling knowing that you are doing it the way you want...I will bet you are "itching" to get some Gel on it...:rolleyes:

Happy Thursday...

Well Thank You Sir. Me and the inline sander have become very good friends by now. If it dosn't rain me out the rest of this week and weekend, I plan on being done with the farring. (BIG IF)
I can't wait to get the gel coat on and get this boat finnished. Want to splash it once before I'm to old. HAHA:facepalm:

Been watching you work in the rain. Yours is looking great.
Have a great weekend.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well Thank You Sir. Me and the inline sander have become very good friends by now. If it dosn't rain me out the rest of this week and weekend, I plan on being done with the farring. (BIG IF)
I can't wait to get the gel coat on and get this boat finnished. Want to splash it once before I'm to old. HAHA:facepalm:

Been watching you work in the rain. Yours is looking great.
Have a great weekend.

I hear ya on the "get too old". I've been worrying about being too old to enjoy the boat by the time I get it done.

Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for dropping in CaptainKickback.
Took a peep at your thread, WOW what a boat. You sure picked a big project. I see what you mean about to old.
Your doing excellent work and making great progress so far.

Wife tells me I have to finnish this before I'm to old. Says I have more money in it than I am worth. :facepalm:

Decker83

Commander

Just a little update. Only worked a few hours this weekend. I was able to get the hull sanded and ready for another faring coat.
No pics. Looks just like the last ones. If the rain holds off and the wife dosn't have to many honey do's I may get some done this week.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and has a good week.

Decker83

Commander

Did alittle more last night. Got up this morning and it's raining again. No work tonight.

rrumba

Ensign

sounds like me.... rain comes work stops..... but every little bit is a step forward. keep moving

Trooper82

Commander

Every bit counts...At least it has cooled down little?

Decker83

Commander

Thanks rrumba and Trooper.
I couldn't believe how nice it truned out this afternoon. When I left the house this morning it was raining and storming. About 2:00 pm the sun came out and it was only 74 degs outside when I went home at 6:00 pm. I had to go out and work on the boat. It was muddy but I couldn't miss the opportunity to work in 74 deg weather. Put on the last coat of fairing tonight. Don't care if its wrong or right, it's the last coat. (haha) :eek:
Last night I pulled some string lines from the bow to the transom. I spaced them about 5" apart. I only had a few places that were low.
I marked them off and finnished the fairing. Still have to get out my favorite tool (inline sander) and finnish the sanding. Will start that tomorrow evening.
Don't have pics of this but they are coming.
Hope everyone has a good hump day. (wednesday)

rrumba

Ensign

well that sounds like a bunch of progress there Decker. glad to hear it cooled off and you got more work done.

Decker83

Commander

Thanks rrumba. Yea I need to quit messing around and get this hull done. Get the gel coat on and turn it back over. I still have a ton of work left to do.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, last round of fairing! Yeah! :cool:

Trooper82

Commander

Glad it dried up enough to get some work in. 74 man been a long time since we have seen that temp...enjoy!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Getting close, Decker...Wow!?!...74?...the only time I see that temp is at night in the house with the A/C blasting...maybe in mid-January or February...:rolleyes:

Decker83

Commander

74 degs. Yea that was way unusual for this time of year. Thats why I had to go out in the mud and work. Wife didn't like the mud in the house much. :eek:

emoney

Commander

I'm getting excited to see this one flipped and painted because I'm sure with your attention to detail she's gonna really be sharp.
Weather's been a little "odd" around these parts too this year. I've caused it to rain every weekend since I decide to buy a "new-to-me" boat. Oh well....

Keep up the good work!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear your on the final round of fairing. I wish we could send some of our weather your way, no chance of rain and in the 60's in the morning and 70's in the evening.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Glad ya got a little cooler weather Decker . Been raining cats and dogs down here! I know your tired of sanding and ready for some gell coat.LOL. Are you spraying or rolling I can,t remember? Can,t wait to see how it goes on..

Decker83

Commander

I'm getting excited to see this one flipped and painted because I'm sure with your attention to detail she's gonna really be sharp.
Weather's been a little "odd" around these parts too this year. I've caused it to rain every weekend since I decide to buy a "new-to-me" boat. Oh well....

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for dropping emoney. Still have a ton of work (sanding) before the flip. I'm going to spray gel coat on it. :facepalm:
But I'm getting excited about being alot closer. Thanks for the kind works.

Glad to hear your on the final round of fairing. I wish we could send some of our weather your way, no chance of rain and in the 60's in the morning and 70's in the evening.

I would love some of the 70's here. But when the temps fall here it also means early sundown. Still would like to see below 90's.

Glad ya got a little cooler weather Decker . Been raining cats and dogs down here! I know your tired of sanding and ready for some gell coat.LOL. Are you spraying or rolling I can,t remember? Can,t wait to see how it goes on..

Thanks SP. Yea I am plenty tried of the sanding. I think I may have worn out the inline sander. Its starting to slow down on me.
Bought the warranty for it at HF so I may trade it in on a new one. I am going to spray the gel coat on. One thing I don't have to worry about is the orange peel look. It sprays on that way. On the other hand I get to sand it all down. :(

Yeah, last round of fairing! Yeah! :cool:

I sure hope so jbcurt00. Right or wrong it is the last fairing coat. (HAHA) Will have to see about that.

Glad it dried up enough to get some work in. 74 man been a long time since we have seen that temp...enjoy!

Hey Trooper, It only lasted for one day and then back to the lower 90's. That's alot better than the 104's.

Decker83

Commander

Did some more work today. Finnished sanding the last coat of fairing. Took about 9 hours in all. Have a few pics.

100_2503.jpg

100_2502.jpg

This is what the other side looks like.

100_2504.jpg

Have one or two small spots to fill. Will take more time to make the fairing than to put it on.
I was having some trouble with the water in my lines from runing the sander for hours on end. I did drain the compressor tank after each use but it didn't help. Did a little research and found by taking the water filter trap off of the compressor and moving it between 25' to 50' down the line it would give the hot compressed air time to cool and let the filter trap the water. Moved mine about 30' and no more water at the sander. The filter I have has a spring loaded valve in the bottom and when the air pressure is gone the valve drains the filter. It worked really well for me today.
Tomorrow I hope to have some of the 1708 and csm put on.. We will see how that goes. :rolleyes:
Hope everyone had a good Saturday.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Glad you're making progress. Nice tip on the moisture filter.