1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Just kidding ! Hey I was wondering do you think that gell coat would stick to the bondo resin jelly ? It is poly resin based and water proof..
Maybe YD can shed some light on it..[/QUOTE]

I have thought about it and have used it on auto applications, but I'm not sure if it will work below the water line. It is resin jelly base.
I just used the cabosil and chop stran and resin to make the fairing. It is hard to sand but it is very strong and will hold the gel coat.
I think this will be the last coat of fairing I will need now,

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

The bottom is going to be perfect at the rate your going. I'm not sure I could handle all that sanding. I'm looking forward to seeing the gel being laid down. Not to many people on here do re-gels as they opt for the easier paint route. You must have alot of ambition. :D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What do you mean ? don't ya think a few... dozen coats of gell coat and a little buffing would take care of it?:rolleyes:

Just kidding ! Hey I was wondering do you think that gell coat would stick to the bondo resin jelly ? It is poly resin based and water proof..
Maybe YD can shed some light on it..

Gel should stick to his filler just fine :) .

Loads of sanding .. ouch.

YD.

Decker83

Commander

The bottom is going to be perfect at the rate your going. I'm not sure I could handle all that sanding. I'm looking forward to seeing the gel being laid down. Not to many people on here do re-gels as they opt for the easier paint route. You must have alot of ambition. :D

Thanks for dropping in. I don't know if it's ambition or I'm just crazy.
I do like the gel coat better than painting. In MHO I think the gel coat will hold up longer than the paint. I like to fish at Lake Fork and it is full of trees and stumps just below the water line. I don't want to put in all the work for paint and in one or two seasons it looks all scracthed up.
I hope the I can get hull in a decent shape before I shoot the gel. :eek:

Decker83

Commander

Gel should stick to his filler just fine :) .

Loads of sanding .. ouch.

YD.

This is more like murder for the arms. I hope I make it. (LOL)
Thanks YD.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Really beginning to "take Shape"...:rolleyes:...

Hope your arms don't fall off...I forgot, did you mention you had a straight line air sander???

If you are careful not to go too far, and with the experience you have gained, controlling a grinder...you could knock of some of the heaviest stuff with it, then a bit more with a DA sander, and finally finish by hand...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for dropping in. My arms haven't fell off yet but I sure know I have them. I do have a straight line and I am using 36 grit on it now.
I did sheet metal work from the time I was 19 years old. Have lots of experience with the good ole grinder. (LOL)

What you or suggesting is what I have been doing. Grind, DA and inline over and over.:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I did sheet metal work from the time I was 19 years old. Have lots of experience with the good ole grinder.
Got any pix of a gravity feed waterwheel grinder? I'd like to see that:eek: Or did it use horse power?

What you are suggesting is what I have been doing. Grind, DA and inline over and over.:facepalm:

You'll get it right 1 of these days....

Right hand ~ Wax on left hand ~ Wax off, Decker83-san

It looks like it's getting much better, biggest fill & fair I've seen on iboats so far. Little by little;) Keep up the great work!

Decker83

Commander

JB, I am old but not quite that old yet. :D

All though my arms or starting to feel that old.

I think that OOPS has me beat by a long shot. I once thought I would like to try what OOPS did,,HAHA'
NOT ANY LONGER. That guy has arms of steel. :)

Decker83

Commander

Did a lot of sanding during the week and completed the fairing Saturday. This is a old pic. Added the wrong one.

100_2482-1.jpg

This is the right one.
100_2491.jpg

Went out Sunday and added another layer of the fairing.

100_2492.jpg

After a late lunch went back and sanded all but the last to feet. From out of no where a little rain came in. When I spread the fairing this time I used a 10" broad knife and it did a much better job.

100_2493.jpg

I think after I finnish the sanding I am going to lay some csm and 1708 and then another csm down on this side of the boat.
After all the sanding I don't know how much of the original glass I too off on the high spots.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thats coming together real nice Decker ! Keep pluggin away and you'll be ready for gell !:cool:

Decker83

Commander

Thanks sphelps. I just keep doing alittle everyday. One day I will go fishing on this tank. ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great!

Wow, I can't tell you how much I don't look forward to flipping the FireFlite..... This, PMC, Bear, Trooper... I already know the gel is extremely thin....

Decker83

Commander

Thanks JB.
It seams like all the glassers are having lots of problems. :facepalm: Maybe just maybe all of us have used up all the bad and yours will trun out perfect. GT seams to be doing good and so does SP. Follow in their footsteps.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your saying there is no Core in that bottom ? .. No wood at all under that glass ?..

Looking good BTW :) .

YD.

Trooper82

Commander

Decker...I missed your post with all the pics...how deep is all that sanding/grinding going? My arms hurts just looking at the pics...

Decker83

Commander

Your saying there is no Core in that bottom ? .. No wood at all under that glass ?..

Looking good BTW :) .

YD.

The only wood is the stringers and bulk heads. If that is what you mean?

Thanks YD.

Decker83

Commander

Decker...I missed your post with all the pics...how deep is all that sanding/grinding going? My arms hurts just looking at the pics...

Hey Troop.
Most of the heavy stuff I'm taking off with a 7" sanding disk with 24 gritt. It cuts very fast and I'm taking maybe 1/16" to 1/8" with it.
I'm using the longboard with 36 gritt and taking maybe 1/32" to 1/16". I'm going thru alot of the longboard sandpaper.
I have about 30 to 35 hours in so far and no telling how many more. :facepalm:

Decker83

Commander

I left work today and the temp was 107 degrees at 6:30. No new updates for today. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

107 deg . YIKES !! And I thought I lived in the sunshine state !