1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Did more grinding today. I just decided to take out as much of the hump (for lack of better words) as I can and go back over the area with csm and some 1708. See if I can fill it back in without such a bad spot. Will take alot of grinding and sanding.

Trooper82

Commander

I'm with PMC, can see the hump. You noticed any difference in glass as you ground it, or on the inside in that area like there may have been a previous repair?

Got my vote for best cradle too :)

Decker83

Commander

I didn't see anything that would led me to belive there was previous repiars. It is right were the stringer is placed.
When I cut the stringers lose there was no strain on them and when I placed them on top of each other. they had the same shape.

I used the old stringers to make the pattern for the new ones. They laid right back in place like they were made to.

I think the hull was like this from the factory. I took a good look at the bunks on the trailer this morning and they are the same shape as the hull. One side is lower than the other in the middle of the bunks.

Waiting on YD to see what he has to say. I have ground down alot of it. Will need to go back inside the hull and beef up around that stringer from the inside now. Just more work and glass and resin and itch. :eek:

phil32

Cadet

WOW I am one lucky puppy !!!!!!!. Thank you iboats for your existence and thank you Decker. I just yesterday brought home a 1990 20' Ozark deck boat and this rebuild is exactly what I will be going thru. What a wealth of information and the response and help from the iboat community is wonderful. I was regreting my purchase a little (buyers remorse) given all the work thats needed done, but I am now inspired and dedicated thanks to the iboat community and Decker. I could only hope mine will turn 1/2 as nice. I have decent wood working skills and a little fiberglass experience but am short on the sanding,faring and gel coat. When I get started I will post pictures and respectfully ask for some input and help. I cant wait to see Deckers finished boat. Someone posted and oh so true this will now be the standard for deck boat restoration thanks to Decker and the help he has recieved.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I didn't see anything that would led me to belive there was previous repiars. It is right were the stringer is placed.
When I cut the stringers lose there was no strain on them and when I placed them on top of each other. they had the same shape.

I used the old stringers to make the pattern for the new ones. They laid right back in place like they were made to.

I think the hull was like this from the factory. I took a good look at the bunks on the trailer this morning and they are the same shape as the hull. One side is lower than the other in the middle of the bunks.

Waiting on YD to see what he has to say. I have ground down alot of it. Will need to go back inside the hull and beef up around that stringer from the inside now. Just more work and glass and resin and itch. :eek:

I think your right on it being factory.. I would leave it alone personally. Its possible that it had something to do with the prop rotation ?

Otherwise your gonna have to glass it like you suggested ( and change the bunks to match it ).

Did you ever run the boat on the water ? How did it handle if you did.. ?

YD.

Decker83

Commander

WOW I am one lucky puppy !!!!!!!. Thank you iboats for your existence and thank you Decker. I just yesterday brought home a 1990 20' Ozark deck boat and this rebuild is exactly what I will be going thru. What a wealth of information and the response and help from the iboat community is wonderful. I was regreting my purchase a little (buyers remorse) given all the work thats needed done, but I am now inspired and dedicated thanks to the iboat community and Decker. I could only hope mine will turn 1/2 as nice. I have decent wood working skills and a little fiberglass experience but am short on the sanding,faring and gel coat. When I get started I will post pictures and respectfully ask for some input and help. I cant wait to see Deckers finished boat. Someone posted and oh so true this will now be the standard for deck boat restoration thanks to Decker and the help he has recieved.

Well Thank You Mr Phil32. I'm just a backyard DIY'er guy. I really appreciate the very kind words. I don't know that I am worhty of such.

Glad you found i-boats and welcome. I felt the same way when I stumbled onto the site.
There are some great gentlemen here and more knowlege than you can find anywhere else.
Hope all goes well for you and your new project. If you havn't started a thread yet, Get one going and put up some pics.
We all love pics.
As far as the work goes, there is alot of it. but it will pay off in the end and you will have a new well built boat that is really your own.

Decker83

Commander

I think your right on it being factory.. I would leave it alone personally. Its possible that it had something to do with the prop rotation ?

Otherwise your gonna have to glass it like you suggested ( and change the bunks to match it ).

Did you ever run the boat on the water ? How did it handle if you did.. ?

YD.

I am glad you agree about it being factory. That really takes a load off my mind.
I did do some grinding on that side. I will put up some pics later.

I am embarrassed to say this but I bought the boat more than 10 years ago. I have never had it in the water.
I bought it from a dealer here in Dallas and he checked out the engine and knew the guy who traded it in on a new boat.
I wanted the boat and was going to restore it then but life got in the way and I never got around to it untill now.
I did do some work with it and made some aluminum rod box's and live well and storage box's but I don't know how much of that will
go back into the boat.

Thanks for your help YD

Decker83

Commander

Did some more grinding and mixed up some fairing. Just used the cabisol and 1/4" chop stran to make the fairing mix.
It seamed to do alright but was hard to sand. Put a layer of csm and 1708 over the area of the stringer and some more fairing.
Not much else to say. Will do more sanding tomorrow night. Couple of pic's

100_2479.jpg

100_2478.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looking good !Can't wait to see some gellcoat !

Decker83

Commander

Thanks SP
I can't wait to get finnished with all the sanding. :eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your fairing mix will indeed be Hard to sand. Two cups of resin, 1/4 cup of Cabosil and the rest Glass bubbles to get it to the consistency of mayonaise is what I use. Makes a nice filler that's a dream to sand. Would be worth the order to USC to get the glass bubbles. No Kidding on this one!!!! Migraines kept me on dry land this weekend.!!!!:mad:

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks SP
I can't wait to get finnished with all the sanding. :eek:

Your making good progress Decker and it looks great ...... you will be done before you know it.

Decker83

Commander

Your fairing mix will indeed be Hard to sand. Two cups of resin, 1/4 cup of Cabosil and the rest Glass bubbles to get it to the consistency of mayonaise is what I use. Makes a nice filler that's a dream to sand. Would be worth the order to USC to get the glass bubbles. No Kidding on this one!!!! Migraines kept me on dry land this weekend.!!!!:mad:

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
The heat was really bad Saturday. 107 degress here. I wouldn't think you would want to go out in this heat with a migraine.
I knew the fairing mix would be hard to sand but I didn't have the glass bubbles on hand and didn't want to wait.
Will get some ordered and use it on the final fairing.
Thanks for your help.

Decker83

Commander

Your making good progress Decker and it looks great ...... you will be done before you know it.

Thanks Jon Sob for your kind words. I sometimes feel there is no end in site. I know each step is one step closer so I just keep plugging away. I get the hull finnished and the deck on and the rest will be down hill. :D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Quick question Decker.. Is that a cored hull/bottom ?

YD.

PS. Sweet Ram you have there on the side..almost as nice as my 78 Bronco :D

Decker83

Commander

No it's not a cored hull. All glass. You can see the PL glue I used to glue in the stringer in the pic. I guess the angle of the pic makes it look like wood. The glass I put on hasn't kicked yet in the pic.

Thanks for the mention of the Ram. That's the wifes truck. Looks to be the next project on the honeydo list.
Is your Bronco on the road? Those are nice trucks.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

No it's not a cored hull. All glass. You can see the PL glue I used to glue in the stringer in the pic. I guess the angle of the pic makes it look like wood. The glass I put on hasn't kicked yet in the pic.

Thanks for the mention of the Ram. That's the wifes truck. Looks to be the next project on the honeydo list.
Is your Bronco on the road? Those are nice trucks.

Just had to ask because of the lines in the glasswork ;) ..

Yes the Bronco is on the road .. hard to drive it at 8 gallons a mile these days lol :D .

YD.

Decker83

Commander

I use a black marking pen when I cut the glass. Is that what you see.

I know the feeling, when we had the ram on the road it didn't do any better on gas. :eek:

Decker83

Commander

Been off line at home for a few days. Did a format and fresh install of win7 pro.
Did more of the fairing and sanding. Getting close to what I want.
Few more pics of the same old thing.
In the first pic notice how the fairing looks like it is kind of smooth. (LOL) :facepalm:
100_2484.jpg

In the next pic I sprayed some cheap primer over the fairing. Look at how it really looks. :eek:
100_2485.jpg

Before anyone ask, I will sand it all down and what I don't sand off will come off with acetone.
More to come.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean ? don't ya think a few... dozen coats of gell coat and a little buffing would take care of it?:rolleyes:

Just kidding ! Hey I was wondering do you think that gell coat would stick to the bondo resin jelly ? It is poly resin based and water proof..
Maybe YD can shed some light on it..