1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Yeah, I know what you mean, that man is a Gorilla for sure...

I know I read somewhere, at some time, that either oops or Yacht Doctor had mentioned that to re-Gel-coat it was NOT necessary to go all the way down to the glass...just some sanding with, I think...120 grit or maybe it was 220 grit, clean real good with Acetone and you'd be good to go...

Worst case, PM one of the two guys, or heck, holler at "woodonglass"...I sure he prolly has a link to the right directions...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Kent, I would reach out to Ondarvr, Woodonglass or Oops via PM (which reminds me, haven't seen oops on the forums in awhile??). I have a book at the house on fiberglass repair and I will look through it tonight to see if gel-on-gel is kosher. I would think that it is, because folks to small spot/area repairs with gel all the time. Surely there is a bit of overlap when that is done.

You are probably not going to see my spider-web, cracking, etc.., because you have rebuilt this thing like a tank. So, if you sand those areas away and maybe build them back up with fairing to match the thickness of the surrounding gel, you should be good.

jbcurt00

Staff member

oops posted yesterday I think, or tues pm late enough so it could have been Tues or Wed for him. Can't remember where.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well I started to do some sanding on the gel coat. Looks like a long dusty job.

Have a few questions about how much of the old gel coat should I take off.
I have a few spider web cracks where the stringers are. It looks like the bunks were off to one side of the stringers.
Should I take the gel coat all the way down to the glass or just rough it up and spray new.
I will fix all the deep gouges and where I cut thru the hull.
From what I have read here on i-boats if you have to thick of gel coat it will crack.
If I do go all the way down to the glass is there any thing I need to do besides the cleaning with acetone. Do I have to put a new layer of cloth over the old glass before the new gel.
Thanks for your help and have a good week.

Hi Decker .. Woody asked me to poke my head in here to see if I can help :) ..

I would just do your repairs and then prep the gel with 80 or 120 grit then spray new gel.

Just sand .. wipe with Acetone..then spray.

Even if you did sand all the way to glass you would not need to apply a new layer of mat over it before you spray.

I am now locked into your thread so any up coming questions I will see ;) .

YD.

PS. Im sure I will be posting to this thread in the future :D .

Decker83

Commander

Kent, I would reach out to Ondarvr, Woodonglass or Oops via PM (which reminds me, haven't seen oops on the forums in awhile??). I have a book at the house on fiberglass repair and I will look through it tonight to see if gel-on-gel is kosher. I would think that it is, because folks to small spot/area repairs with gel all the time. Surely there is a bit of overlap when that is done.

You are probably not going to see my spider-web, cracking, etc.., because you have rebuilt this thing like a tank. So, if you sand those areas away and maybe build them back up with fairing to match the thickness of the surrounding gel, you should be good.

Thanks for stopping in and looking after me. I do have alot of bulkheads in the hull, but that's the way the factory did it. I just put them on 16" centers instead of the 24" centers. Hope this tank will float. :D
Looking forward to seeing some more vids from you.

Hi Decker .. Woody asked me to poke my head in here to see if I can help :) ..

I would just do your repairs and then prep the gel with 80 or 120 grit then spray new gel.

Just sand .. wipe with Acetone..then spray.

Even if you did sand all the way to glass you would not need to apply a new layer of mat over it before you spray.

I am now locked into your thread so any up coming questions I will see ;) .

YD.

PS. Im sure I will be posting to this thread in the future :D .

Thanks to the WOG. Just got to love the guy.

Thank you Yatch Dr for taking your time to drop in. I greatly appreciate your help and guidance.
Really glad to hear I don't need to take off all the gel.
Will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Thanks again to all of the great gentlemen here on i-boats.

Trooper82

Commander

Hoping you got everything worked out and will have a long weekend to do boat work!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

And I thought I was the ONLY one that had bad luck. Decker, hope things start to get better fer ya. They are for me and it sure feels good to have the Monkey off my back for a while. Did not get to do splash #2 last weekend but...Hoping to get her wet this Saturday so we'll see. Glad YD stopped by, He KNOWS gelcoat so don't be afraid to PM him and ask whatever you need.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Glad YD stopped by, He KNOWS gelcoat so don't be afraid to PM him and ask whatever you need.

You can just post it up on the thread .. Im subscribed now :) ..

If I dont respond in a day or two just PM me and I would respond in the thread.

YD.

Decker83

Commander

Hoping you got everything worked out and will have a long weekend to do boat work!

Did get it all under control by the end of the week. Maybe a few little bugs to work out with the new computer. No biggie.
Thanks for asking Trooper.

And I thought I was the ONLY one that had bad luck. Decker, hope things start to get better fer ya. They are for me and it sure feels good to have the Monkey off my back for a while. Did not get to do splash #2 last weekend but...Hoping to get her wet this Saturday so we'll see. Glad YD stopped by, He KNOWS gelcoat so don't be afraid to PM him and ask whatever you need.

Wood I would take 6 months of what I had happen to me greatfully before I would want to go thru what has been happen with you and your family. Really glad to hear things are going better for you now.
Again thanks for helping and pm Yacht Dr for me.
Hope you get to splash real soon. You deserve it if anyone does.

You can just post it up on the thread .. Im subscribed now :) ..

If I dont respond in a day or two just PM me and I would respond in the thread.

YD.

Thanks Yacht Dr. Will do.

Decker83

Commander

So I got up early this morning and went to a local auto paint supply house and bought some 3m 2 3/4" x 17" 36 grit sand paper. Also bought a roll of DA 6" sand paper @ 80 grit.

Then took the wife to the grocery store and did the shopping with her. Got home and put everything up and started on the long hard process of sanding Gel Coat.

Took some pics of the cracks in the gel coat before I started to sand. Does anyone think I need to sand these cracks down to the glass.

100_2413.jpg

100_2415.jpg

I read somewhere here to take a marking pen and draw lines all over the area to be sanded. I think it was Yacth Dr that said this. I drew the lines and it sure helps to let you know where the low spots are and how much more is needed to take off. On the white gel its hard to see without the lines.

100_2416.jpg

100_2418.jpg

This is what I had after sanding all the lines off.
100_2417.jpg

I can say one thing for sure after running the inline sander all day. My hands or sore from all the vibration and who put the trigger on top of the handle. The heal of my hand is nice and brused now.
I would trade a all day grinding with the 7" grinder over this sander. (LOL) :eek:

Did all I could reach from standing on the ground. Have the bottom all most done. Hope to have it done by tomorrow.

ONE Question about the fairing. Will it stick to the gel coat. Have a few low place's I need to fill in.

Hope everyone had a good day and a better tomorrow.

Trooper82

Commander

Nice days progress Decker....so I have sore hand syndrome to contend with soon you say?

What size compressor you have? Curious if mine will handle one of those sanders, but I hope it does.

Decker83

Commander

Nice days progress Decker....so I have sore hand syndrome to contend with soon you say?

What size compressor you have? Curious if mine will handle one of those sanders, but I hope it does.

The heal of my right hand is pretty sore tonight. The triger is in a bad place. I did get a peice of foam and place it in my glove and it helped with holding the trigger. Wish I had done it sooner. :D

I have a old Quincy compressor that will produce 10 cfm @ 100psi. I think the tank is around 30 gallon. The sander takes 5 cfm @ 90psi.

It also takes alot of arm presure holding down on it to make it work well. :eek:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Decker, tape the trigger with electrical tape and just unplug the hose to shut it off. As long as you acetone wash the gel coat and rough the fill area with 60 grit the fairing will adhere very well. R U mixing your own?

Decker83

Commander

Decker, tape the trigger with electrical tape and just unplug the hose to shut it off. As long as you acetone wash the gel coat and rough the fill area with 60 grit the fairing will adhere very well. R U mixing your own?

I probably will, but I need to get the right stuff to make it.
I figured I would ask you about that.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Took some pics of the cracks in the gel coat before I started to sand. Does anyone think I need to sand these cracks down to the glass.

Typically you would fix all the repairs ( chips,cracks and dings ) before you spray. I dont think that sanding all the gel off to the glass is needed. We typically use a dremel to grind out the cracks into the first layer of glass then fill them. It just depends on Why the cracks are there ( Impact cracks or hardpoint cracks or cracks coming from drill holes that were not countersunk etc. ).

I read somewhere here to take a marking pen and draw lines all over the area to be sanded. I think it was Yacth Dr that said this. I drew the lines and it sure helps to let you know where the low spots are and how much more is needed to take off. On the white gel its hard to see without the lines.

Yes.. I did suggest the marker thingy..but use a damp acetone rag to smear it around after your scribblings ;) .. gives you a nice 'guide coat' over the entire surface ( use this when sanding out your gel is a Major help ).

I can say one thing for sure after running the inline sander all day. My hands or sore from all the vibration and who put the trigger on top of the handle. The heal of my hand is nice and brused now.
I would trade a all day grinding with the 7" grinder over this sander. (LOL) :eek:

I would have used the 6" DA sander with 80 grit. Yes the inline vibration can get to the best of us.

However as far as the trigger in the handle issue.. its actually in the Right place. I agree that in one way its in the wrong place but remember you sometimes have to use it over head .. or infront of you..or wrapping it under a strake or chine. If it was a pistol trigger style it would be hard to handle for some applications of the tool. ( like doing over head sanding .. you push up activating the trigger at the same time .. Imagine if you had to pull a trigger at the same time as pushing up on that heavy thing ;) ).

ONE Question about the fairing. Will it stick to the gel coat. Have a few low place's I need to fill in.

Yes you need to prep before you fill. Depending on how Low your Lows are you can just prep it with 80 grit and fill them in your spray application of gel.

Basically if its just a slight low that your inline didnt take out but not enough to warrent filler..wait until your spraying your gel and spot fill it with gel when spraying ( Look at your surface when spraying and just spray them lows a few shots more then the rest of the boat ). When using this method make sure your last coat is an over all coat and not spot fills.

You would rarely need to use an inline sander .. but if its ONE hand tool that uses the Most amount of Air it would be the Inline sander ( AirFile ).

An Electric Half sheet sander would be better if you really want that dream team mirror look. Might take longer but they work well.

If your trying to file off a Repair ( not prepping ) use a Sure Form ( Hand held cheese grater kinda thing ) when the putty and/or glass is just kicking off.

For your last post.. how low are your lows ?

YD.

Decker83

Commander

I did get to do some more sanding today, but about 2:30 in came a down pour and stopped my work. So no pics today.

YD I used the inline sander to help me try to get things as flat as possible. I have tried my hand at auto body bondo and could never get it flat just using the DA. Always had a wavey look. When I would start out with the long board (manual type) I could shape it better and get a better look and then use the DA. I am not to good at this type of work.
With as large an area to do on the hull I thought I would do better with the long board.

Most of the low spots should fill in like you suggest. I do have some place's that might be 1/8" low. These are between the stringers.
Its hard for me to explain without the pics. I will get some pics and up and show you and see what you think.

Thanks for your help. I guess I didn't remember about taking the acetone and smearing the lines. Will do that on the sides.

How thick can the fairing be? What materials do you need to make the fairing?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

How thick can the fairing be?
What materials do you need to make the fairing?

Not very thick. ... I would rather spray more then smear bondo/gelpaste or whatever to fair out then adding another layer of something between your substrate and your topcoat.

On your second question..it really depends on how large an area you need to fill. Small little suckers can be patched up with gel and cabosil..larger ones ( Big suckers that you need your airfile again ) you might need a little more microballs then cabosil to your mix.

At some point you need to call good .. well good enough. Remember you are applying GEL and not paint. There is a lot you can fill with gel that you cant do with paint.

Also.. are you a perfect sprayer. You can lay down gel uneven in a heartbeat .. gonna/might have to break out that longboard again to get what you got in your prep.

YD.

Decker83

Commander

Did some more sanding and took some more pics.
I have a place on one side that concerns me. I tried to take some pics that show this.
In this pic you can see up by the keel it dosn't seam to have a good radius. The other side is not as radical.
100_2426.jpg

A little futher back towards the transom it's not quite as bad.
100_2425.jpg

100_2422.jpg

I put the longboard down for awhile and used the 7" grinder and took off alot more.
100_2428.jpg

100_2427.jpg

It seams like it did help.
YD do you think I need to worry to much about this. Should I put some fairing on to help smooth any of this out.

I have used spray guns with a different types of paint. I have also shot gel coat on a different boat. It was alot smaller. I was able to spray it very well. I have a pressure pot in 1/2 gallon size and a 2 gallon pot. I know my compressor will handle it very well.

Hope you can see in the pics what is going on. Let me know if you need any more of them.

Thanks for your answers so far.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmm... Given that you had the best cradle in iboats history (if not mankind). I'm having a hard time thinking that Assymetry happened in your rebuild....nonetheless it's definitely visible. Interested to see what the other guys say... I'd be inclined to try and match em up a bit just so you don't have more drag on one side, etc... Keep plugging! Great work!

Decker83

Commander

I don't know about the best cradle :D but I did know the hull looked that way setting on the trailer before I begain this wonderful project. Going at it again tomorrow.

Thanks for dropping in and giving your kind words.